Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Yea I think I will. I did try it on again tho, and the back is *just* shy of covering my ass. I feel like in a charcoal or grey and worn as just a jacket it could work...but will try the 40R.

    Comment




      I ordered the exact same jacket in a dark grey/charcoal, which I got today in the mail. I cut the vent and took a shot to show what I mean about the length in the back. I have a pretty athletic build and ass from the squat rack, but really hate too big/long of jackets...am I just paranoid?

      Again, exact same jacket as above, different color.

      Comment


        [MENTION=14995]ChrisAntle[/MENTION] The jacket is fine. It's not going to stand out to anyone as dramatically too short. The sleeves are a tad high, but the jacket fits you alright overall. If you get much more nit-pickey you risk trying to achieve the ever-elusive "perfect fit", and the only way to really get that is to go Bespoke. I'd say keep it.

        Comment


          [MENTION=8924]Dismal Science[/MENTION] I can't see the picture.

          Comment


            Originally posted by Danny View Post
            [MENTION=14995]ChrisAntle[/MENTION] The jacket is fine. It's not going to stand out to anyone as dramatically too short. The sleeves are a tad high, but the jacket fits you alright overall. If you get much more nit-pickey you risk trying to achieve the ever-elusive "perfect fit", and the only way to really get that is to go Bespoke. I'd say keep it.
            Agreed, it looks fine to me. Some people actually like to show that amount of cuff anyway and the jacket doesn't look to short at all.

            Comment


              Thanks guys, appreciate the insight.

              Comment


                Hey guys, I picked this up at the SS outlet and it fits pretty well besides for the sleeves. I just wanted an opinion on whether or not I should try to get the sleeves shortened or if it's a lost cause. Seems to me I could only shorten around a half inch because of the working buttonholes.



                Let me know what you think.

                Comment


                  Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

                  Originally posted by mmgfarb View Post
                  Hey guys, I picked this up at the SS outlet and it fits pretty well besides for the sleeves. I just wanted an opinion on whether or not I should try to get the sleeves shortened or if it's a lost cause. Seems to me I could only shorten around a half inch because of the working buttonholes.



                  Let me know what you think.
                  It looks good through the chest, but it seems a little clingy on your hips and posterior. Are the vents open? In the second pic it seems like your shoulders are a little wider than the jacket as well, but the shoulder fit looks good in the first pic. It certainly doesn't look bad, those are just my gut observations. You're right about the sleeves, they are a little long. I think SS says that you're able to shorten the sleeves 3/4" without going to the shoulder, though I suppose that could be personal opinion on just how close you want that fifth button.

                  Btw, I love this fabric. Which model is it?

                  Comment


                    You can get the sleeves shortened at the shoulder but you will pay something like $40-$50 per arm. Anything cheaper and I may worry unless you have been to that tailor before.

                    Comment


                      Originally posted by Nleaders View Post
                      It looks good through the chest, but it seems a little clingy on your hips and posterior. Are the vents open? In the second pic it seems like your shoulders are a little wider than the jacket as well, but the shoulder fit looks good in the first pic. It certainly doesn't look bad, those are just my gut observations. You're right about the sleeves, they are a little long. I think SS says that you're able to shorten the sleeves 3/4" without going to the shoulder, though I suppose that could be personal opinion on just how close you want that fifth button.

                      Btw, I love this fabric. Which model is it?
                      The fit is actually pretty good, awkward pose made it look a little worse I guess. I'm going back and forth on the buttons though, I only want to do it if it's going to look good, otherwise I'm going to try to sell it. I guess I'll bring it to my tailor and see what he thinks. It's a Havana in a wool, cotton, silk blend and you're right the fabric is spectacular; lightweight enough for most of spring/summer and wintery looking enough to layer in fall/winter.
                      Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                      You can get the sleeves shortened at the shoulder but you will pay something like $40-$50 per arm. Anything cheaper and I may worry unless you have been to that tailor before.
                      Yea I'm only going to do it if I can get away with just shortening the sleeves. I'm not really interested in adding another $100 to the cost.

                      Comment


                        The one risk you'd run shortening the arm from the top is it not fitting right anymore and having to have that altered again. On the other hand, it could fit better if it is loose now.

                        Edit: and I don't know how big of a deal this is, this is just what my tailor told me when I inquired about it (if I understood them correctly).
                        Last edited by ianr; January 18, 2016, 05:09 PM.

                        Comment


                          [MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION] I might have them taken up a tinge, but leave them a hair longer than optimal. That way you might be able to get it closer to perfect without having to do "open heart surgery" on the whole arm setup. It's not the ideal solution, but that should make it very wearable without such noticeably long sleeves.

                          I mean, (stepping back from all of our well-attuned observations about suit fit and looking at this like most people would in day-to-day life) it's really not that bad right now. I agree that the second picture raises some questions about the overall fit, btu I'm taking your word that it was the awkward pose that made it look "off".

                          Comment


                            [MENTION=14949]mmgfarb[/MENTION] You can have those sleeves brought up at least 3/4". I had it done on my Napoli. Granted, it's all about how comfortable you are with the distance the buttons are from the sleeve end, but I personally think it looks fine. And that'd probably be enough, though it's hard to tell from this angle just how much cuff you'll show. Other than that, it doesn't look like you need any other alterations. I think the shoulders seem fine. Definitely wearable.

                            That said, yeah, I've seen this jacket up close. It's pretty nice. I'm actually really thinking about picking up it's sister jacket in Silk/Linen. I put that one on and, oh man, was it nice and airy. Would be perfect for the heat here in SoCal.

                            Comment


                              [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] [MENTION=12045]Matchbook[/MENTION], thanks for your responses. I'm still not sure what I'm gonna do but I think you're both right that it will look fine if I bring the sleeves up.

                              Comment


                                Hey guys, I snagged this linen suit jacket at a great price from J. Crew recently. I'm new to wearing sport coats and the like. Does this work to wear as a separate jacket? How is the fit? I think it might be a little too big in the shoulders, but it feels great fit wise.

                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                [IMG][/IMG]
                                [IMG][/IMG]

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X