Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- That's the issue. I've got a really small neck and relatively long arms. Add to that my pickiness about the slimness of the shirt and you've got a men's fashion nightmare. lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Danny View Post
      [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- That's the issue. I've got a really small neck and relatively long arms. Add to that my pickiness about the slimness of the shirt and you've got a men's fashion nightmare. lol
      Do you wear a 14.5/35?
      My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

• [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION], I'm going to make a recommendation I probably would not normally make. But if you want some very mediocre shirts for a very reasonable price that fit perfect, I've got a suggestion. Check out natty shirts. You can send them measurements of a shirt that fits and they'll make a shirt to those specs. Basically, just tweak what you've got. Take that shirts measurements and add a half inch to the chest and a half inch to the waist. Also, add an inch or so to the sleeves. Have all the other measurements the same. You could get a great fitting shirt for not a lot of money. Spier and Mackay is in the same price range, so I would recommend them if they fit you, but it sounds like they don't. Also, natty shirts uses crap buttons. If you message them they will swap them out with MOP for, I think, $5.

Comment

• [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- I've never come across Natty shirts. I wish I could go to a showroom to see them in person. They're not much more expensive then the shirts I'm buying now, so it's certainly worth considering. I always worry about the quality of something custom at that price point, though. I'm also not really in the market for many new shirts right now. I've got 2 white, two (different shades of) light blue, a blue gingham, the red gingham in question, and a number of casual shirts.

The shirts I'm buying now are a 14.5 32-33, and I would probably be better suited with cuffs a half inch longer. That said, this isn't THAT big of an issue for me. Sizing up won't work -- here's a picture of me in the next size up (excuse my grumpy face -- the mall isn't exactly pleasant this time of year):

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] -- I've never come across Natty shirts. I wish I could go to a showroom to see them in person. They're not much more expensive then the shirts I'm buying now, so it's certainly worth considering. I always worry about the quality of something custom at that price point, though. I'm also not really in the market for many new shirts right now. I've got 2 white, two (different shades of) light blue, a blue gingham, the red gingham in question, and a number of casual shirts.

The shirts I'm buying now are a 14.5 32-33, and I would probably be better suited with cuffs a half inch longer. That said, this isn't THAT big of an issue for me. Sizing up won't work -- here's a picture of me in the next size up (excuse my grumpy face -- the mall isn't exactly pleasant this time of year):
            Natty shirts are nothing special. But if you have odd measurements, they work for the price. Probably as good as what you'd find in department stores at same price. They are just a far cry from S&M OTR,quality wise.

BTW, you are swimming in that shirt. It's crazy one neck size can make so much of a difference. The yoke is way to wide, so tailoring wouldn't help much.

Comment

• BTW, you are swimming in that shirt. It's crazy one neck size can make so much of a difference. The yoke is way to wide, so tailoring wouldn't help much.
              I know! I was shocked when I saw how crazy the fit changed after moving only one size up. I'll just stick to the shirt I've got now. It's not THAT bad. Only the discerning eye would catch the shortness of the sleeves, and even then it's not the most egregious error.

Comment

I know! I was shocked when I saw how crazy the fit changed after moving only one size up. I'll just stick to the shirt I've got now. It's not THAT bad. Only the discerning eye would catch the shortness of the sleeves, and even then it's not the most egregious error.
                Sorry to hear about your shirting issues. I am similar to CharlesG in that I wear a 40 (Euro size) most of the time or 15.5 shirts. It is easy for us middle of the road guys.

Comment

Danny - Have you tried the Nordstrom Slims? They have a 5" drop which is pretty good for OTR. Nothing fits me but they are the closest and they come in sleeve lengths & Neck sizes. I have some Natty shirts as well. Not as nice as even the OTR Nordstrom shirts but since I have a big neck compared to shoulder width I have to go custom for shirts that I wear with a tie. Good Luck, Joe

Comment

• [MENTION=12664]joekloo[/MENTION] - No, I've not tried the Nordstrom shirts. I went in store but they didn't have my size.

Comment

• Hey, I'm new here and I have question for you all. I recently bought a combatant gentleman navy slim fit suit, size 38R with size 32 pants, as recommended by their fit tech. It's my first 'real' suit as a student on a tight bidget, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit big for me. Should I try to exchange it for a size 36R with size 30 pants, tailor it, or just return it? I live in Canada so unfortunately exchanges are rather expensive right now with the terrible exchange rate.

[Edit: not sure how to post pictures properly so here's a link instead] Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pgKIq

I'm not sure if this should've be posted in the combatant gentleman thread instead, so please let me know if I should do that.
                      Last edited by budgetfriendlyfashion; December 21, 2015, 06:34 PM.

Comment

• [MENTION=14938]budgetfriendlyfashion[/MENTION] - The sleeves look a tad short so I think even if you sized down to a 36L, you may have issues. The shoulder pads make you look huge! The pants seem fine, just need them hemmed to get a good fit unless they don't fit in the waist but that is your call. With a bad exchange rate, it seems like almost a crap shoot to go for a 36L because it may not fit any better and other issues may pop up.

I will let others weigh in but it almost may be best to try and buy something local. Canadians get hosed. Though you are in Canada so Spier and Mackay is an option though expensive in Canadian dollars.

Comment

• Originally posted by budgetfriendlyfashion View Post
                          Hey, I'm new here and I have question for you all. I recently bought a combatant gentleman navy slim fit suit, size 38R with size 32 pants, as recommended by their fit tech. It's my first 'real' suit as a student on a tight bidget, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit big for me. Should I try to exchange it for a size 36R with size 30 pants, tailor it, or just return it?
                          Exchange. But, try to get a measuring tape and have someone help you take your actual measurements. The "fit tech" seems to work sometimes, but not always. I have experimented with it a little and it will display the correct size if you enter the correct shirt size... but, who knows their shirt size who doesn't also know their jacket size? It seems like one either knows neither or both.

Comment

• Originally posted by budgetfriendlyfashion View Post
                            Hey, I'm new here and I have question for you all. I recently bought a combatant gentleman navy slim fit suit, size 38R with size 32 pants, as recommended by their fit tech. It's my first 'real' suit as a student on a tight bidget, but I'm pretty sure it's a bit big for me. Should I try to exchange it for a size 36R with size 30 pants, tailor it, or just return it? I live in Canada so unfortunately exchanges are rather expensive right now with the terrible exchange rate.

[Edit: not sure how to post pictures properly so here's a link instead] Pictures: http://imgur.com/a/pgKIq

I'm not sure if this should've be posted in the combatant gentleman thread instead, so please let me know if I should do that.
                            Are you standing with extremely straight posture? If so, is that how you normally stand? It looks too big through the shoulders, but not really at the waist. I don't think it fits you very well. I don't know if going down a size would help or not. Are you getting hit with VAT on your orders?

Comment

• Originally posted by JBarwick View Post
                              [MENTION=14938]budgetfriendlyfashion[/MENTION] - The sleeves look a tad short so I think even if you sized down to a 36L, you may have issues. The shoulder pads make you look huge! The pants seem fine, just need them hemmed to get a good fit unless they don't fit in the waist but that is your call. With a bad exchange rate, it seems like almost a crap shoot to go for a 36L because it may not fit any better and other issues may pop up.

I will let others weigh in but it almost may be best to try and buy something local. Canadians get hosed. Though you are in Canada so Spier and Mackay is an option though expensive in Canadian dollars.
                              Thanks for the feedback. I tried it on again today and the sleeves didn't seem that short. The pants look baggier the more I look at them so I'm tempted to get an exchange. Spier and Mackay is really interesting -- thanks for the tip!

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
                              Exchange. But, try to get a measuring tape and have someone help you take your actual measurements. The "fit tech" seems to work sometimes, but not always. I have experimented with it a little and it will display the correct size if you enter the correct shirt size... but, who knows their shirt size who doesn't also know their jacket size? It seems like one either knows neither or both.
                              I'll get my measurements and see whether they match up to the ones listed in the chart for combatgentleman suit sizes; there was one in the combatgentleman thread if I recall correctly. I'm still not sure if I'll get an exchange or not given the conflicting advice, but I'm definitely leaning toward doing so -- provided, of course, that shipping won't be exorbitantly expensive. Thanks for the advice!

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
                              Are you standing with extremely straight posture? If so, is that how you normally stand? It looks too big through the shoulders, but not really at the waist. I don't think it fits you very well. I don't know if going down a size would help or not. Are you getting hit with VAT on your orders?
                              In all but the last picture I am standing with extremely straight posture. I don't normally stand like that, no. I suppose I thought that the divots would be less apparent if I stood that way, but in hindsight that was a pretty stupid decision. I'm not getting hit with VAT (for some reason), so I'm considering going down a size. I think I'll contact combatgentleman and see if I can get a quote for an exchange (or more specifically, for the shipping costs associated with an exchange). Thanks!

[EDIT: I deleted the other posts because I figured out how to multi-quote :P]

Comment

• [MENTION=14938]budgetfriendlyfashion[/MENTION] it's probably worth working with your tailor to see if you can get the sleeves lengthened, especially if you size down. Their travel blazer had 1/4" of extra fabric to work with, so I was able to size down from 44 to 42 and make a few alterations for a better fit (my issue was the shoulders). Good luck.

Comment

Working...
                                X