Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I would try a long size and have the sleeves shortened by a tailor. What is the issue with the Bonobos and the sleeves? You should so some shirt cuff so that shouldn't be an issue other than your shirt sleeves could be too long and show too much. It just depends really.

Comment

So the deal with the bonobos is that the sleeves are cut correctly to show 1/4" cuff, but then during the normal course of wear they ride up and do not return to their starting position. As a result more of the shirt cuff pops out and stays out. This is because the sleeve is unlined, more friction in the sleeve, it clings to the shirt as it rides up, etc. Contributing is the fact that the sleeve is fairly tailored so that's even more friction.

It's really annoying and makes it look like I had it tailored to show 1.5" of cuff.

May have to return the J Crew Factory if it's too short. They don't make long sizes unfortunately.

Comment

Originally posted by sippyCUP View Post
        Looks too short to me.

Comment

Originally posted by ianmichaelray View Post
          Looks too short to me.
          That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the advice though, I'll send this one back and keep looking... JCrew is really bad about not having "tall" sizes, of course their volume is much less than say Gap/BR... I may need to spend substantially more $ in order to find something that fits correctly.

Comment

Originally posted by sippyCUP View Post
            That's what I was afraid of! Thanks for the advice though, I'll send this one back and keep looking... JCrew is really bad about not having "tall" sizes, of course their volume is much less than say Gap/BR... I may need to spend substantially more $ in order to find something that fits correctly.
            For casual the jacket sits fine. I bet the Bonobos one is cropped like that too from what I have seen from the brand. It is not that bad. I have some slightly cropped jackets and wear the hell out of them.

Comment

Hi guys. I need some opinions on a jacket I picked up last weekend. It's a Schott 563 that I got for a foolishly good price at the Schott factory sale. The leather is super soft and nice and it's lined in beautiful, soft flannel. It really is a delight to wear and I think it fits me pretty well. I'm just not 100% sold on the styling. On the one hand, it's kind of a cool Indiana Jones-ish style with some interesting, but not too over-the-top retro details (I think - let me know if you agree or not), but on the other hand it looks like it could be wearing a little square-old-guy-ish. What do you all think?

Another consideration is that this jacket retails for a lot and I did not pay a lot for it, so I could potentially make a pretty good profit if I sold the thing on the secondary market while at the same time giving someone who'll be thrilled with it a very very good deal. Thoughts?

Comment

My vote is for awesome Indiana Jones-esque badassery. For sure a keeper.

Comment

I think it is a keeper. I don't look that bad ass in a leather jacket.

Comment

I think the overall style of the jacket is good. I like the collar and the pockets aren't too large. I think it's a little long, but the overall fit seems good. I don't think it looks too boxy or old-man-ish. Unless there is another Schott style you like better that you'd want to sell this jacket to help pay for, I think it is a nice pickup.

Comment

Thanks for the feedback, guys. There isn't another style I want to finance by selling this one, but I do already have a leather jacket (another Schott, actually) that I like a lot and wear a lot. This one is different enough from that one that I can certainly justify owning both - I'm just on the fence about whether it's worth talking myself into that justification.

Comment

I want to like it. The fit is spot on (I disagree with it being too long) and I like the details well enough. What's holding me back is that if I were going to wear a leather jacket and not myself feel like I were wading into dadcore style, I would want it to be more a badass style than this relatively conservative one, either a bomber with a sherpa collar or a Perfecto-style moto jacket. Also, in my experiences if I'm asking these sorts of questions about a piece, I probably won't ever be fully satisfied. I'd rather be 100 percent sure than keep it because the price was right.

Comment

I think it looks very nice and the fit is great (if I nitpick I might say the sleeves are a teensy bit long, but that's super nitpicky and I'm not sure an inch shorter wouldn't look too short for outerwear). ForeverGuest hits the real concern, though, which is whether you are happy with the jacket. Do you really like the jacket or do you really like that you got a good price?

Comment

[MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] - keep it. I do think it's a bit too long though.

Incidentally I also snagged a Schott on deep discount recently, a navy leather MA-1

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                              [MENTION=3269]Shomas[/MENTION] - keep it. I do think it's a bit too long though.

Incidentally I also snagged a Schott on deep discount recently, a navy leather MA-1
                              I saw a few of those navy leather MA-1's at the factory sale - and they were nice. I definitely would have picked one up if they had it in my size, but they did not.

Also, thanks for the feedback, all. I'm still on the fence, so I may list it on eBay and/or Grailed and see if I get any bites and if not hang onto it.

Comment

Looking for vindication on my choice between the BR Merino V in small vs extra small.

Extra small:

Small:

I went with small. The length on the XS was cutting it too close, and I think that the larger sweater just fits better overall. To me the XS almost looks like I had a bigger sweater but it shrunk. What's your take?

Comment

Working...
                                X