Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

thanks @JBwarick. Looked up some more on the collar gap issue you brought up and from what i've read this morning I definitely didn't see any collar gap when just standing in place. Will still have to check on if there was any while moving around, but I think it was pretty minimal if at all. Sorry about the pic being dark, but there is definitely no pulling or dreaded "x" at the waist. The waist suppression and the sleeve length were both pretty spot on OTR fit for me at least. Really was just wondering about the length...it's close to being right there, but I didn't know if it should be a deal breaker and send back or just live with it considering I doubt many people will say 'hey that jacket appears an inch short'.

Comment

I was hoping someone could shed some light as to what causes the back ripples under the armpits? It is also noticeable in the side profile. This is the JCF Voyager and I am not set on keeping it, actually coming up on the return date, so any feedback is appreciated.

Comment

JCrew Club Blazer in 40S.

http://i.imgur.com/t7PPg8g.jpg

JCrew Club Blazer in 41R.

http://i.imgur.com/Hmf5yxi.jpg

Comment

Summer is definitely here! Swapping out the dark grey and navy suits for something lighter. I'd appreciate your input on the overall fit and any recommendations on tailoring.

Comment

And a couple more without the jacket.

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
              Summer is definitely here! Swapping out the dark grey and navy suits for something lighter. I'd appreciate your input on the overall fit and any recommendations on tailoring.
              holy big pictures, batman!

Shoulders look good to me. Overall I think you have a usable suit, but it may be a touch big. The waist and chest from the front look good, but from the back you have some excess fabric in the armpits I would have the sleeves shortened and see if a tailor can clean up the back a little for sure. That could help with the sleeve buckling too, but that isn't a big deal. The jacket tail may be just slightly short but barely if so. I would hem the pants a little, but that is just my preference.

Comment

Hey ya'll!

I bought this Thompson Linen from a fellow dappered forum reader. Love the jacket, but I need some advice on it.

I want to suppress the waist, but am wondering if moving the buttons in will do the same thing. I know I need to shorten the arm length. Any advice, other than "take it to the cleaners", on keeping it from wrinkling up so badly from day to day use?

Comment

Do not just move the buttons. Used to do that before I went to "my" tailor and he looked at the coat I was giving him with much disdain.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                    Hey ya'll!

I bought this Thompson Linen from a fellow dappered forum reader. Love the jacket, but I need some advice on it.

I want to suppress the waist, but am wondering if moving the buttons in will do the same thing. I know I need to shorten the arm length. Any advice, other than "take it to the cleaners", on keeping it from wrinkling up so badly from day to day use?

I'm thinking that jacket is too big for your build, the top pocket is going over to the side of your chest, looks too long. Going to definitely require some chest and waist tailoring, I'd probably shorten it as well, moving a button isn't going to fix the fit on that jacket.

I had same thing with a cotton Jcrew jacket, it would have cost more in tailoring than I paid for it to make it look half decent, an overly long jacket IMO is far far worse than one that's a touch too short.

That probably isn't the best photo for getting opinions though, it looks like you're wearing some very relaxed fit jeans and they may add to the whole everything is really loosely fitted visual. Looks like the jacket is sitting half way down your leg and the pockets look really big for some reason so I'm guessing it's caused by some visual queues, to me it seems as if that jacket is overly long and far below bottom of yer arse.

Comment

Originally posted by shad0w4life View Post
                      I'm thinking that jacket is too big for your build, the top pocket is going over to the side of your chest, looks too long. Going to definitely require some chest and waist tailoring, I'd probably shorten it as well, moving a button isn't going to fix the fit on that jacket.

I had same thing with a cotton Jcrew jacket, it would have cost more in tailoring than I paid for it to make it look half decent, an overly long jacket IMO is far far worse than one that's a touch too short.

That probably isn't the best photo for getting opinions though, it looks like you're wearing some very relaxed fit jeans and they may add to the whole everything is really loosely fitted visual. Looks like the jacket is sitting half way down your leg and the pockets look really big for some reason so I'm guessing it's caused by some visual queues, to me it seems as if that jacket is overly long and far below bottom of yer arse.
                      You're not the first person to mention it being too big. I wear 38r, wondering if I should be looking at 38s.

Comment

At least it is a jacket that could offer a short instead of just a medium or small in sizing. The sleeves look like you would run into the buttons when shortening and waist suppression could cause an hourglass look which makes you hips look bigger.

Comment

Originally posted by Eric Leija View Post
                          You're not the first person to mention it being too big. I wear 38r, wondering if I should be looking at 38s.
                          Don't forget to try 36R as well, different brands different sizing etc. Along with they can let out suits a bit not just take them in.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                            Shoulders look good to me. Overall I think you have a usable suit, but it may be a touch big. The waist and chest from the front look good, but from the back you have some excess fabric in the armpits I would have the sleeves shortened and see if a tailor can clean up the back a little for sure. That could help with the sleeve buckling too, but that isn't a big deal. The jacket tail may be just slightly short but barely if so. I would hem the pants a little, but that is just my preference.
                            Thanks for the great feedback! I've learned to pay attention to the waist and shoulders, but never really looked at the back/ armpits until you mentioned the excess fabric. It's almost like learning to appreciate art, you have to know what to watch for. I knew the sleeves were too long, that should be a fairly easy fix.

This is my first Brooks Brothers suit, and to be honest, the experience was a bit disappointing. They basically hemmed the pants (which is fine, I'm good with the length) and shortened the sleeves (but not enough....I asked for a 1/4" reveal), and that was it. I specifically asked for other recommendations, but got nothing. A little more tailoring would have done wonders for the final fit. Luckily I found a good local tailor who should get me there the rest of the way.

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                            holy big pictures, batman!
                            Yeah, I may have gone overboard here, but there have been far too many posts stating the pictures were too small/ too dark. What's a little scrolling among friends?

Comment

Originally posted by windmill View Post
                              Thanks for the great feedback! I've learned to pay attention to the waist and shoulders, but never really looked at the back/ armpits until you mentioned the excess fabric. It's almost like learning to appreciate art, you have to know what to watch for. I knew the sleeves were too long, that should be a fairly easy fix.

This is my first Brooks Brothers suit, and to be honest, the experience was a bit disappointing. They basically hemmed the pants (which is fine, I'm good with the length) and shortened the sleeves (but not enough....I asked for a 1/4" reveal), and that was it. I specifically asked for other recommendations, but got nothing. A little more tailoring would have done wonders for the final fit. Luckily I found a good local tailor who should get me there the rest of the way.

Yeah, I may have gone overboard here, but there have been far too many posts stating the pictures were too small/ too dark. What's a little scrolling among friends?
                              If Brooks Brothers did the tailoring I would definitely take it back to them to correct the sleeves. They probably need to be shortened at least a 1/2". BB should make it right - that's one less thing you should have to pay for your tailor to fix. Which fit is this anyway?

The back definitely needs to be taken in. The profile picture shows the jacket lays in a straight vertical line from the collar to the hem, it should have some shape to it - as your body isn't a straight line. It shouldn't fit like an under armor shirt, but it should have some definition at the waist when seen from profile.

Comment

[MENTION=13575]windmill[/MENTION] - I would take the jacket to a trusted tailor first and see what he says can be done. Cleaning up the back of the jacket a lot could cause issues with proportions of the jacket in other areas. It may end up being an ill fit from Brooks Brothers to where you need a 1 size smaller suit. It looks like a Fitz and they have every numbered size for that particular one.

Comment

Working...
                                X