Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bought my first good suit. I am hoping to the fit is good and only minor alterations needed. Armholes seem low but I don't know. Thanks for the help.

Comment

• Originally posted by Boys Husky View Post
      I received this suit from Spier and Mackay this weekend and will be taking it to the tailor tomorrow. I know the jacket needs to be taken in a fair amount, the sleeves need to be shortened a little, and the waist on the pants need to be taken in an inch or so (and obviously hemmed). I wondering what you think of the fit overall and what alterations I should consider. This is a 40R. I'm typically between a 38 and a 40 and I think that might be the case here. I think a 38 would be a little too snug. This might be just a hair big, but I think/hope it will work just fine with some tailoring. Thoughts? As an FYI, I couldn't be happier with the quality of the suit overall. I can't imagine finding anything comparable for the price ($315 USD).

Apologies for the poor picture quality...

I realize this post is about a week late, so not sure what you decided... However, I would suggest that you could probably size down in the jacket to a 38. The shoulders look a little big and there seems to be extra material in a lot of areas. A size down might take care of the sleeve length and all the other issues...

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamie View Post
        I realize this post is about a week late, so not sure what you decided... However, I would suggest that you could probably size down in the jacket to a 38. The shoulders look a little big and there seems to be extra material in a lot of areas. A size down might take care of the sleeve length and all the other issues...
        Thanks for the feedback. My shoulders slope quite a bit, so they give the appearance of the jacket being too big even when it fits fairly well. I assumed the shoulders would be too small if I sized down, so I had the 40 taken in a bit. I'm happy with how it fits.

Comment

• Took a flier on a CT suit - jacket arrived first. I sized down in the classic cut. It does not fit properly (considerable bowing under the lapels) but my question is whether it is tailor-able or if I should just size up. It seems to fit quite well in the shoulders, sleeves, etc. Hopefully these pictures are sufficient - harder than it seems to get a good angle demonstrating the gap in the chest.

Comment

• Originally posted by howemi01 View Post
            Took a flier on a CT suit - jacket arrived first. I sized down in the classic cut. It does not fit properly (considerable bowing under the lapels) but my question is whether it is tailor-able or if I should just size up. It seems to fit quite well in the shoulders, sleeves, etc. Hopefully these pictures are sufficient - harder than it seems to get a good angle demonstrating the gap in the chest.

Not sure on the tailor-ability but it looks like if you sized up it would be too big on the shoulders, which already look like they are already slightly big on you.

Comment

• JCF Voyager suit just arrived. I sized down from my Ludlow size (from 36s to 34s) because I read that the Thompson is a little boxier. I feel like the fit everywhere else is great but I've never worn a jacket that was so aggressively tapered at the waist. When you look at it there's not really a huge "X" or wrinkles radiating from the button, but there is definitely a little tension. My intuition is that it's too tight at the waist, but maybe I'm just used to boxy suits and this is actually the V-Shaped look that people go for when they get their jackets taken in. What do you guys think? On a side note, the quality/fabric came in way above expectation for a $160 suit.

http://imgur.com/a/g5XmZ

Comment

• Just picked up a JCF thompson in summer weight wool. I've wanted a light grey suit for sometime and the deal was fantastic...they didn't have my normal size so I went one down to 42. The shoulders are spot on, but it seems a bit tight in the waist. Is that tailorable, or should I return it and start over? Excuse my photoshop abilities and the terrible wrinkles, as it just came out of the box!

Comment

• There are some levis 559 fit jeans I've had for a bit. They were pretty loose everywhere but fit my thighs well. Since I had them for a while I think they've don't all the stretching that they would do. I went ahead and took the waist and seat in and slimmed the legs down. Just looking for comments and suggestions on the fit. My tailor work isn't the best but it's my first try.

Comment

• I'm interested to see what people think of this jacket/fit on you. I just picked up a voyager as well, and the waist is more suppressed than any jacket I've tried on thus far. The feel of the jacket FAR exceeds anything else I've tried on in that price range. It feels a great deal higher quality than the regular worsted Thompsons to me.

Originally posted by Merlot View Post
                    JCF Voyager suit just arrived. I sized down from my Ludlow size (from 36s to 34s) because I read that the Thompson is a little boxier. I feel like the fit everywhere else is great but I've never worn a jacket that was so aggressively tapered at the waist. When you look at it there's not really a huge "X" or wrinkles radiating from the button, but there is definitely a little tension. My intuition is that it's too tight at the waist, but maybe I'm just used to boxy suits and this is actually the V-Shaped look that people go for when they get their jackets taken in. What do you guys think? On a side note, the quality/fabric came in way above expectation for a $160 suit.

Comment

• I also picked up a Voyager and would appreciate some opinions. I am about 6'1 210-215. Generally I have trouble finding jackets that fit through the chest and shoulder that aren't big/boxy every where else. I picked up a 44r and a 42r. Off the rack I like the overall feel/fit of the 42 but I think it is definitely too small through the chest and shoulders. The 44 seems a little big but I am guessing a little tailoring and it will fit great.

Here is the 44. Sorry as I'm sure the pictures aren't great.

Here was my attempt to see what the 44 would look like with the sides taken in

last shot of 44

Comment

• Here is the Voyager in 42.

Comment

• More of the 42 Voyager.

So basically is my assumption correct that the 42 is too small and the 44 would be a better choice post tailoring?

Comment

• Originally posted by Merlot View Post
                            JCF Voyager suit just arrived. I sized down from my Ludlow size (from 36s to 34s) because I read that the Thompson is a little boxier. I feel like the fit everywhere else is great but I've never worn a jacket that was so aggressively tapered at the waist. When you look at it there's not really a huge "X" or wrinkles radiating from the button, but there is definitely a little tension. My intuition is that it's too tight at the waist, but maybe I'm just used to boxy suits and this is actually the V-Shaped look that people go for when they get their jackets taken in. What do you guys think? On a side note, the quality/fabric came in way above expectation for a $160 suit.

Looks good IMO. My guess would be that you are just used to boxier suits as you said.

Comment

• Originally posted by Merlot View Post

It is hard to tell, but there does appear to be a slight x, as you have said. Classically, this is wrong. However, it is trendy to have slim fitting suits tight, sometimes with a lot of pulling. From the picture, there seems to be only a little bit of an x, so it is up to you if it is a big deal. In short, some people like suits like that, others don't.

Comment

• Originally posted by ryn View Post
                                It is hard to tell, but there does appear to be a slight x, as you have said. Classically, this is wrong. However, it is trendy to have slim fitting suits tight, sometimes with a lot of pulling. From the picture, there seems to be only a little bit of an x, so it is up to you if it is a big deal. In short, some people like suits like that, others don't.
                                Tried to post a couple of days ago but it doesn't look like it went through. I also purchased the Voyager in a 42r and 44r. Im 6'1 210-215. I liked the feel of the 42 overall but It had some noticeable bulging out of the lapels at the chest. Would like some thoughts on the 44. Will it be good with se tailoring or is it too big?
                                My attempt to see what it may look like taken in some

Comment

Working...
                                X