Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'd say the first one looks better, whichever that is.

As for getting it shortened, it's not terribly expensive or difficult, depending on how much you want done. And the buttons may make things a bit more difficult, depending on how they're done. The best thing is to talk to the tailor.

Comment

Looking for some help. Got this Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher a little while ago. I am planning on wearing it for my wedding in May. I am going to take it to my tailor soon, but wanted some insight from yinz. I am planning to do the following:

Pants hemmed and let out in the seat
      sleeves shorted a little
      Buttons attached to the sleeves
      Neck roll fixed/collar adjusted

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] don't forget to take the tags off the sleeve before your wedding.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
          Looking for some help. Got this Benjamin suit from eHaberdasher a little while ago. I am planning on wearing it for my wedding in May. I am going to take it to my tailor soon, but wanted some insight from yinz. I am planning to do the following:

Pants hemmed and let out in the seat
          sleeves shorted a little
          Buttons attached to the sleeves
          Neck roll fixed/collar adjusted

I am not sure but it seems that in the first photo, there is some pulling around the buttons, suggesting that it is a tad small.
          If this is the case, I would let it out a bit in the waist.
          I did notice the neck roll, and hopefully your tailor will fix it. It would be nice to show us a before and after photo, including details of how he fixed it and how much it cost.
          I am not sure you need to shorten the sleeves. If anything you need a little longer shirt sleeves, but lets see what others think as well.
          The suit overall looks very sharp. Congrats!

Comment

Suit looks very sharp.

Not sure you need to touch the sleeves much if any.
            Pants def need a hem.

Comment

Suit looks great, zcm. I agree with all the (small) issues you've identified. I also agree with doomx that you may want to look into getting the waist let out just a hair, although I suspect the pulling may appear exaggerated in the photo.

Comment

[MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] [MENTION=9190]Pepetito[/MENTION] [MENTION=9652]vespertiliovir[/MENTION], thanks for the thoughts! After work I think I'll try a shirt with slightly longer sleeves and see if that makes much of a difference. I think the waist may be good but I'll keep it in mind. (Also I am hoping to drop a few more pounds before the big day, but that can be a dangerous game). The pants are actually unfinished so they will definitely be getting a hem.

Anyone ever had a tailor put functional buttons on a jacket like this? I have never bought a suit that comes with the buttons unattached.
                Last edited by zcm; February 18, 2015, 05:16 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=4677]Shade[/MENTION] [MENTION=12115]doomx[/MENTION] [MENTION=9190]Pepetito[/MENTION] [MENTION=9652]vespertiliovir[/MENTION], thanks for the thoughts! After work I think I'll try a shirt with slightly longer sleeves and see if that makes much of a difference. I think the waist may be good but I'll keep it in mind. (Also I am hoping to drop a few more pounds before the big day, but that can be a dangerous game). The pants are actually unfinished so they will definitely be getting a hem.

Anyone every had a tailor put functional buttons on a jacket like this? I have never bought a suit that comes with the buttons unattached.
                  I agree that the waist looks pretty good. I see the slight "pull" at the button, but in my experience it is literally impossible to get my OTR jackets not to show any dimpling in the fabric while not also looking boxy. I'd rather a slight crease than a boxy fit. My tailor said it has to do with the way my shoulders, chest, waist, and hips are proportioned, not with the jacket being too small. I've even lost weight and had the crease remain. With OTR, at least for some of us, I think we can't let perfect be the enemy of very damn good, and that fit, other than what you mentioned, is very damn good.

Comment

I can't recall how much he was going to charge me, but it was enough that when I asked my tailor about putting functioning buttons on a blazer of mine that came with sleeves unfinished, I opted out.

Comment

, thanks for the thoughts! After work I think I'll try a shirt with slightly longer sleeves and see if that makes much of a difference. I think the waist may be good but I'll keep it in mind. (Also I am hoping to drop a few more pounds before the big day, but that can be a dangerous game). The pants are actually unfinished so they will definitely be getting a hem.

Anyone every had a tailor put functional buttons on a jacket like this? I have never bought a suit that comes with the buttons unattached.
                      [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], the jacket definitely isn't too small, but there is some pulling not just at the button but in the picture from behind around the hips. I'd suggest letting it out a little bit there, it will help witht he pulling in front as well. Sleeves aren't bad, your right arm looks right on, but left maybe a 1/4" long - either way they're close.

As for the functional buttons - make sure you take it to a tailor you really trust, and not a seamstress, because making nice buttonholes isn't a basic alteration...
                      Last edited by Jamie; February 18, 2015, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Just received this herringbone Thompson sport coat that I ordered during their flash sale last week for ~$65. As such, I am very happy with the look and construction. At a very lanky 6', ~155lbs, I went ahead and ordered a 36R which fits spot-on in a Ludlow. Something about this blazer feels a little frumpy to me, so I'm looking for some tailoring suggestions and thoughts on the fit. I know getting the sleeves shortened and the waist suppressed a bit are definitely on the menu, but my main area concern is if the sleeves might fit a little too loose on my stringbean arms, and theres some weird bunching going on near the shoulder.

Wish I could have had some better photos but I didnt have a phototgrapher at the moment.

Last edited by bartleby patrick; February 19, 2015, 11:24 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
                          Just received this herringbone Thompson sport coat that I ordered during their flash sale last week for ~$65. As such, I am very happy with the look and construction. At a very lanky 6', ~155lbs, I went ahead and order a 36R which fits spot-on in a Ludlow. Something about this blazer feels a little frumpy to me, so I'm looking for some tailoring suggestions and thoughts on the fit. I know getting the sleeves shortened and the waist suppressed a bit are definitely on the menu, but my main area concern is if the sleeves might fit a little too loose on my stringbean arms.
                          Nice purchase. I had recently purchased a herringbone blazer from The Gap (one that was featured here on the Thursday Five deal) so I passed on this one. But for $65 I think this is a great find/purchase. Well done sir.

Comment

I've had my heart set on this navy Hanava SS blazer for a while. I'm a 36s in JCrew, but after studying the sizing charts for this thing I concluded I'm probably a 34R since the Suitsupply's 36S is somehow much baggier than the 36R. Unfortunately they only had 32R and 36R in stock. I went with the 36 based on the customer service rep's suggestion and just got it in the mail today:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/Vdinj/embed"></iframe>

Link in case the above doesn't work: http://imgur.com/a/Vdinj

The sleeves are too long by about an inch and I'm scared to take them to a tailor to shorten them since the buttonholes are functional. Also, I'm not sure about the fit as the shoulders seem fine but the midsection does seem a tad roomy/not as tailored as I'm used to. What do you guys think?

Should I:
                            - Keep this and get the sleeves shortened
                            - Try a size 32 and see if it fits
                            - Wait until next winter for them to restock this in 34

This is a grail piece that I've been saving up for and is literally the nicest piece of clothing I've ever owned so I really want to make sure it fits me perfectly, but at the same time I'd be pretty sad if I had to give up on it...

Comment

Originally posted by Merlot View Post
                              I've had my heart set on this navy Hanava SS blazer for a while. I'm a 36s in JCrew, but after studying the sizing charts for this thing I concluded I'm probably a 34R since the Suitsupply's 36S is somehow much baggier than the 36R. Unfortunately they only had 32R and 36R in stock. I went with the 36 based on the customer service rep's suggestion and just got it in the mail today:

<iframe class="imgur-album" width="100%" height="550" frameborder="0" src="//imgur.com/a/Vdinj/embed"></iframe>

Link in case the above doesn't work: http://imgur.com/a/Vdinj

The sleeves are too long by about an inch and I'm scared to take them to a tailor to shorten them since the buttonholes are functional. Also, I'm not sure about the fit as the shoulders seem fine but the midsection does seem a tad roomy/not as tailored as I'm used to. What do you guys think?

Should I:
                              - Keep this and get the sleeves shortened
                              - Try a size 32 and see if it fits
                              - Wait until next winter for them to restock this in 34

This is a grail piece that I've been saving up for and is literally the nicest piece of clothing I've ever owned so I really want to make sure it fits me perfectly, but at the same time I'd be pretty sad if I had to give up on it...
                              I think for a staple piece like this, especially something with (what I consider) a higher price point, you really want to nail the fit and be happy with it. To me, the jacket looks a little big overall and I think the 34 (I'd consider a 34s given those long sleeves) after some tailoring would suit you really well. I've made the mistake of getting jackets that were just too big that I never wore and the feeling of having an unusable piece is much worse than the feeling of working toward attaining it. I'd suggest holding off for the smaller size, you'll be happier that you did.

Comment

Originally posted by bartleby patrick View Post
                                Just received this herringbone Thompson sport coat that I ordered during their flash sale last week for ~$65. As such, I am very happy with the look and construction. At a very lanky 6', ~155lbs, I went ahead and ordered a 36R which fits spot-on in a Ludlow. Something about this blazer feels a little frumpy to me, so I'm looking for some tailoring suggestions and thoughts on the fit. I know getting the sleeves shortened and the waist suppressed a bit are definitely on the menu, but my main area concern is if the sleeves might fit a little too loose on my stringbean arms, and theres some weird bunching going on near the shoulder.

Wish I could have had some better photos but I didnt have a phototgrapher at the moment.

I actually purchased the same jacket for similar price (maybe $5 less) and it really like it.
                                I see your concerns with the sleeves appearing too wide. The shoulder anomaly kills it for me.
                                It could be just the way it shows on the photo, but the shoulders seem to have a bad fit, which is something a tailor will likely be unable to fix.
                                I would personally return it, despite the good deal.

Comment

Working...
                                X