This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dave Porter View Post
    First time having sleeves tailored. Also had the waist taken in a bit. I have uncommon proportions (wide back and tiny waist).
    Not sure why, but one of the shirts came back with the sleeves a bit smaller/tighter. It is driving me nuts because the sleeves wrinkle easily now.
    I suppose it is not too much of a problem because I don't wear shirts like these daily, just special occasions.
    Pictured: Charles Tyrwhitt Extra Slim Fit 16/35. I like these shirts because of the darts in the back, which help with my odd proportions.
    What do you think? I have really struggled finding shirts that fit me, even after tailoring.

Sky Blue Puppytooth:

Navy Bengal:

Dave -- The shirts fit you pretty well in my estimation. I'm not seeing much billowing around your midsection, and the chest and shoulders look good. As for the sleeve length, it's a bit hard to tell with your hands in your pockets and when you're holding your iphone. If you have shots of or can describe where the cuff hits when your hands are at your sides, that would be more helpful. If not, the sleeve length from where I'm sitting looks like it's working as well.

A couple gripes -- your tie length, and the knot you've chosen. Your tie is a tad too short, though this may have to do with the way you're standing. The tip of your tie, as a rule of thumb, should hit your waistband or top of your belt buckle if you're wearing one.

As for your knot, I think you should switch it up. Go with a four-in-hand as opposed to what looks like might be a half-windsor (can't quite tell in your pics). The reason I'm suggesting this is because the collar you're wearing has quite a narrow gap, more appropriate for a thinner, taller knot (four in hand) vs. a thicker, shorter one (half-windsor).

All in all though, looking pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by pharmacy View Post

Thoughts on the fit of this. It seems like the jacket is a bit short, however, I think it can work.

This is an OTR Spier and Mackay 40R 130s Grey Birdseye. I'm 5'10 175lbs. 16.5 neck, 35" arm length.
      Wouldn't worry about the length of the jacket, looks fine in the pic though a full body shot would be more helpful in assessing.

Overall, the fit on your suit is quite good. One slight issue I have, if I'm being particularly picky, is with the shoulders/sleeves. The shoulders look like they extend past the end of your shoulder blade by just a bit, which could be a result of padding. You look like you're in pretty good shape and have a good build. For future reference, I don't think you need as much padding and should look for suits with minimal padding/more natural shoulders. Lastly, the arms seem a bit too wide, so you might consider narrowing them around your biceps/triceps area.

Again, these gripes are more about getting you from very good to perfect in terms of fit so I wouldn't worry too much but figured I'd offer my two cents anyway. Good luck.

Comment

Tried on a Nordstrom slim fit shirt, 16 neck and 36 sleeve. To me, the neck is too tight and the sleeve is a bit too long. What do you think of the overall fit? To me it lays weirdly in the chest. I also wasn't sure how to pose and hold the camera for the best pics. Right sleeve is unbuttoned, left is buttoned.

Comment

Originally posted by gentndubs View Post
          Wouldn't worry about the length of the jacket, looks fine in the pic though a full body shot would be more helpful in assessing.

Overall, the fit on your suit is quite good. One slight issue I have, if I'm being particularly picky, is with the shoulders/sleeves. The shoulders look like they extend past the end of your shoulder blade by just a bit, which could be a result of padding. You look like you're in pretty good shape and have a good build. For future reference, I don't think you need as much padding and should look for suits with minimal padding/more natural shoulders. Lastly, the arms seem a bit too wide, so you might consider narrowing them around your biceps/triceps area.

Again, these gripes are more about getting you from very good to perfect in terms of fit so I wouldn't worry too much but figured I'd offer my two cents anyway. Good luck.
          It's remarkable how much better this suit looks compared to the JCF in 40R. I will take comparison pics after i get the pants hemmed.

Comment

Creature -- The shirt fits well. The most important aspects of a shirt when it comes to fit are the chest and shoulders. These both look good on you. As you observed, however, the arms are definitely too long. The shirt also billows a bit around your midsection. Fortunately, both of those issues are easily fixable by a good tailor. As for your neck size, if it's uncomfortable, then perhaps you should return it. One thing I'll say is that when you work out, and this is has happened to me before, your neck may get bigger and thus an already uncomfortable shirt might become unbearable. You look like you work out, so you might want to keep that in mind as well.

Comment

Pharmacy -- Please do, I'm curious as to how it will end up looking

Comment

Looking for some feedback on these 2 Linen blazers from Jcrew the first is an XS and the 2nd is a 36S, im 5'8 145, I feel like the sleeve length on the XS is like dead perfect aside from the shirt im wearing underneath needs to be trimmed about .5-1" shorter but I wanted to see what you guys felt on which looks/fits better, I also feel like they both fit a little long I don't know if its just me or maybe because its double vented

http://imgur.com/a/iog0Q

Comment

The sleeves on the first one does look fine, the sleeves on the second one seem too long.

Also, it may just be me, but I think they're both a little snug in the body. Even taking into account I think a linen jacket should be a bit looser of a cut, I still think that they're too snug in the torso. Not outrageously so, but you might want to try going up a size or seeing if you can have it let out a bit.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                    The sleeves on the first one does look fine, the sleeves on the second one seem too long.

Also, it may just be me, but I think they're both a little snug in the body. Even taking into account I think a linen jacket should be a bit looser of a cut, I still think that they're too snug in the torso. Not outrageously so, but you might want to try going up a size or seeing if you can have it let out a bit.
                    I like my jackets to fit snug but not overly tight, what are your thoughts on the length.. im leaning towards sticking with the first being the XS as I said I think the sleeves are already an appropriate length

Comment

First time poster:

I'm trying to figure out a suit for my wedding. I ordered a Napoli Faux Uni in a 36 and 38 (I'm 5'10" 160lb). I liked the fit of the 36 in the shoulders, but it was too small everywhere else. Here are some images of the 38R. I think that the pull at the button may be due to my uneven shoulders rather than the chest/waist being too tight. When I unbutton the jacket the button and button sits about 1/2" lower than the buttonhole. I plan on having a tailor take a look and potentially padding the low shoulder and or move the button.

That being said, how do you think it fits overall? I can't decide if the shoulders are slightly too wide. What other fit issues do you see?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/15881117683/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/16501270475/
                      Last edited by josiahv; February 11, 2015, 09:06 AM.

Comment

Suit Supply Napoli Fit

First time poster. I'm trying to figure out my suit for my wedding and ordered a Napoli Faux Uni in a 36 and 38. The 36 fit great in the shoulders, but was too small everywhere else. Below is the 38. I'm pretty sure that the pulling at the jacket button is due to my uneven shoulders rather than the waist/chest being too tight. When the jacket is unbottoned, the button sits about 1/2" lower than the buttonhole. If I decide to keep the jacket I'd have a tailor pad the low shoulder and/or move the buttons up.

Aside from this what do you think of the fit? What other fit issues do you see? Is it worth keeping?

Comment

Originally posted by gentndubs View Post
                          Creature -- The shirt fits well. The most important aspects of a shirt when it comes to fit are the chest and shoulders. These both look good on you. As you observed, however, the arms are definitely too long. The shirt also billows a bit around your midsection. Fortunately, both of those issues are easily fixable by a good tailor. As for your neck size, if it's uncomfortable, then perhaps you should return it. One thing I'll say is that when you work out, and this is has happened to me before, your neck may get bigger and thus an already uncomfortable shirt might become unbearable. You look like you work out, so you might want to keep that in mind as well.
                          I Didn't purchase because the shoulders/chest area were pulling/sitting weird. Anyone know why this happens? I typically get all my shirts tailored at the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by josiahv View Post
                            First time poster. I'm trying to figure out my suit for my wedding and ordered a Napoli Faux Uni in a 36 and 38. The 36 fit great in the shoulders, but was too small everywhere else. Below is the 38. I'm pretty sure that the pulling at the jacket button is due to my uneven shoulders rather than the waist/chest being too tight. When the jacket is unbottoned, the button sits about 1/2" lower than the buttonhole. If I decide to keep the jacket I'd have a tailor pad the low shoulder and/or move the buttons up.

Aside from this what do you think of the fit? What other fit issues do you see? Is it worth keeping?

I think you're being overly critical. By all means tailor away to get it as precise as you can, but that fit looks pretty good from here. I see the pulling but we're talking OTR in the real world, not custom and pinned in place for a photo spread. The pulling also isn't that bad. If it feels good, I think it's a keeper because it looks pretty good.

Comment

Originally posted by xKMAN83x View Post
                              I like my jackets to fit snug but not overly tight, what are your thoughts on the length.. im leaning towards sticking with the first being the XS as I said I think the sleeves are already an appropriate length
                              Length looks fine to me, depends on how long you like it. It could be fine either a bit longer or shorter, too.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                                Length looks fine to me, depends on how long you like it. It could be fine either a bit longer or shorter, too.
                                Is having the length shortened a difficult/expensive order at a tailor? from the front/side and sleeves do you think im better suited with the XS > 36S?

Thanks

Comment

Working...
                                X