Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I honestly think the 38R looks perfect on you. It should be decently snug, but not show the "X" which in your case looks perfectly fine. As far as the tightness in your arm and wrist, I can't really tell the difference, so as long as it's not bothering you feel-wise, I think it should be fine

Comment

• Originally posted by jd4040 View Post
      Thanks for the image upload info.

Here is a Ludlow jacket in 38R and 40R. I'm really stuck between these two sizes. The 38R is quite snug, but looks good. It's a bit constricting in the arms and is definitely snug at the waist, but doesn't form an X at the button. The 40R feels much more roomy and comfortable in the chest and shoulders, but I think it looks more boxy and less flattering. Should I just try to get used to the 38R? Get the 40R and tailor it? Thanks very much for any feedback.
      From how you describe it, 40R would feel like my jacket, and that what I would pick. But of course how the fit feels is definitely subjective.

Can you fit a fist?
      Which one has the best jacket length?
      Compare the fit of the jacket with the fit of your pants? Slim jacket with slim pants, classic fit jacket with classic fit pants. The jacket can be roomier but not slimmer than the pants.
      If you post full-body length, we may be able to help you better.

Comment

• Thanks for the feedback guys.

I would need to ask my wife to take more pictures to post a full-length, and she's already pretty annoyed with this process.

I agree that the 38R looks pretty good, but I think I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that it's a bit too tight. The 40R seems perfect around the waist, a little more comfy around the shoulders, and just a bit loose under my armpits. I wonder if that would be an easy fix for a tailor? Even without tailoring, I think it's wearable. Plus I can wear a sweater over a dress shirt, which I can't really do in the 38R.

I wish they made 39R.

Thanks again.

Comment

• Disclaimer: I'm new to the whole suit wearing world. But I'm finishing up my undergraduate soon so I figure I better start looking a bit more professional every now and then!

If you guys could help me out with this a bit, I'd appreciate it. I have a hard time buying clothes. I'm 5'7, I think (?) I wear about 38 for my chest, and wear 28 pants/jeans. I won't ramble on about my larger-than-average-for-my-size thighs here, since I'm mostly concerned about a blazer for now.

Anyway, after much reading, and budget considerations, I figured an extra slim BAR III blazer would fare me well. I originally wasn't going to buy it online considering my body type, but given the price ($41 Canadian after shipping) and the positive reviews about BAR III and their slimmer cuts, I bought it online anyway. This is a Bar iii 38S black shadow stripe extra slim fit. I'm not wearing a dress shirt or dress pants with it now, but I assume that shouldn't have too much to do with the fit. If it does, let me know.

If this doesn't fit, I might tailor it, or just give it to my girlfriend's dad (who I think fits it better than me).
          Worth $42? Worth tailoring?Opinions, please.

Thanks a bunch.

Comment

• Originally posted by jd4040 View Post
            I agree that the 38R looks pretty good, but I think I'm gradually coming to the conclusion that it's a bit too tight. .
            Try sitting down, unbuttoned of course, type on a computer, reach and move things around on your desk. Get in your car and pretend driving.

Originally posted by jd4040 View Post
            [...]and just a bit loose under my armpits. I wonder if that would be an easy fix for a tailor?
            Not sure what that means. Jackets should not fit like a shirt, but some jackets do have too big of arm holes that we don't want

Comment

• Originally posted by asdfvtn View Post
              Disclaimer: I'm new to the whole suit wearing world. But I'm finishing up my undergraduate soon so I figure I better start looking a bit more professional every now and then!

If you guys could help me out with this a bit, I'd appreciate it. I have a hard time buying clothes. I'm 5'7, I think (?) I wear about 38 for my chest, and wear 28 pants/jeans. I won't ramble on about my larger-than-average-for-my-size thighs here, since I'm mostly concerned about a blazer for now.

Anyway, after much reading, and budget considerations, I figured an extra slim BAR III blazer would fare me well. I originally wasn't going to buy it online considering my body type, but given the price ($41 Canadian after shipping) and the positive reviews about BAR III and their slimmer cuts, I bought it online anyway. This is a Bar iii 38S black shadow stripe extra slim fit. I'm not wearing a dress shirt or dress pants with it now, but I assume that shouldn't have too much to do with the fit. If it does, let me know.

If this doesn't fit, I might tailor it, or just give it to my girlfriend's dad (who I think fits it better than me).
              Worth $42? Worth tailoring?Opinions, please.

Thanks a bunch.
              From the second picture, it is way too short. With your hands at your side, you should just be able to curl your fingers around the end of the jacket, and it should cover your rear. I also think it might be too big based on how the shoulders look. It looks like the suit's shoulders stick out further than your natural shoulders. If you stand next to a wall and slowly lean sideways into the wall, if the jacket shoulder hits the wall before your natural shoulder, it is too big. The shoulder is the most important part to fit properly as it cannot be easily tailored. I am not an expert, so others may want to give their thoughts, but I don't think tailoring will fix the fit issues. I would try another size.

Comment

• I'll try to get someone else to take some pictures of me, because the shadows are pretty bad here. But other than the too-long arms and the extra material through the hips (which doesn't really show in the picture because of how I'm standing), does the Ludlow (40L) seem like a reasonable fit?

How do the shoulders and length look. Is there anything here that makes it look like it wouldn't work after a visit to the tailor?

Thanks.

In case the embedded photo doesn't work: https://onedrive.live.com/redir?resi...nt=photo%2cjpg
                Last edited by facelessghost; January 13, 2015, 12:56 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                  Try sitting down, unbuttoned of course, type on a computer, reach and move things around on your desk. Get in your car and pretend driving.
                  All of those things feel better in the 40 than in the 38.

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                  Not sure what that means. Jackets should not fit like a shirt, but some jackets do have too big of arm holes that we don't want
                  I guess I just mean that the 40R is a bit loose around the chest. The shoulders and waist are very good, and while the lapels don't hang open, the chest could definitely be a bit more trim. I notice the looseness under my armpits when I'm standing with my arms at my sides, which is why I said it's too loose there.

Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Hi, I'd love you opinion on whether or not this vest is too short. Got is on sale from J Crew. Only available in small, medium, etc, not numbered sizes. They're all sold out now, so it's either this or nothing. Thanks!

Comment

• The shoulders look wide.

I am torn on the length, from the front it looks too short, but from the back it looks like less of an issue (it appears to sufficiently cover your rear). Either way, it may fall within trending styles for now.

The button stance is too hight, which can make you look shorter.

The sleeves look a touch long.

Could definitely be taken in at the sides.

Ultimately I think you would look better in a regular vs a short.

Comment

• Sleeves: The sleeve pattern is just bad in general. Whomever pattern made the sleeve did not create a very nice "elbow" shape. The bicep seems way too large. If this is a 38 I bet if you measure the bicep (1" below the armhole) it is probably around 11.5-11.75.... wayyy to wide! Should be around 10"

Body: Overall the armhole is too big and waist is not tailored. You could take out from the center back and the side panels but the foundation of the jacket just isn't there. Shoulders are sloped so beyond your natural shoulder making you look "bigger" this "sloppy".
                        Jacket length too long. Takes away from your actual body and makes you look "young" not professional.

What to do: You can try to salvage the jacket but you need to be more aware in the future when buying a tailored jacket. It's tough to look for something you don't know what to look for. I know these things as I am a designer myself and was a jacket pattern maker for a very high end brand.

Comment

• Originally posted by bahales View Post
                          Hi, I'd love you opinion on whether or not this vest is too short. Got is on sale from J Crew. Only available in small, medium, etc, not numbered sizes. They're all sold out now, so it's either this or nothing. Thanks!

bahales, Personally, I think it fits just right. I would wear it just like that no problem at all. However, if I were going to be wearing this with a suit (or even just matching suit pants and vest without jacket), then I would want mine about an inch or so longer so that the top of the "V" (under the bottom button), would just show my belt buckle. Many people would wear it just how you have it as well. I just see the vest being worn a little bit longer with a suit as being more polished. How you are wearing it though, if this is the application that you will be wearing it, with jeans. Then it fits perfectly, IMO.

Comment

• Originally posted by Sippi View Post
                            bahales, Personally, I think it fits just right. I would wear it just like that no problem at all. However, if I were going to be wearing this with a suit (or even just matching suit pants and vest without jacket), then I would want mine about an inch or so longer so that the top of the "V" (under the bottom button), would just show my belt buckle. Many people would wear it just how you have it as well. I just see the vest being worn a little bit longer with a suit as being more polished. How you are wearing it though, if this is the application that you will be wearing it, with jeans. Then it fits perfectly, IMO.
                            The bolded point above speaks more to the rise of the pants than the length of the vest. The issue with many vests appearing too short is that the length of the vest hasn't followed the downward movement of the rise of most pants. Traditionally, the pants sat up high, at or just below the navel, so the vest cut as it is seen here would do exactly what you say and show just the belt buckle, or even more traditionally, when worn with suspenders or tabbed pants, nothing at all. It would provide a clean line from torso to leg. However, with lower rises on pants being the new norm, that gap between the bottom of the vest and the waistband of the pants is common. I actually don't mind it, but it's a much more "on-trend" styling. If you want to avoid it and still wear a vest that fits properly (it seems that vest fits well, [MENTION=13273]bahales[/MENTION]), the only solution is pants with a higher rise.

Comment

• Good point Foreverguest!! Standing at 5'8" or so, I haven't put too many vests on that didn't come lower on me, so I guess the pant's rise really never crossed my mind. But that is something I'll keep in mind from now on for sure! But yeah, bahales, fits good how you're wearing it!

Comment

• Thanks [MENTION=13274]Sippi[/MENTION] and [MENTION=12652]ForeverGuest[/MENTION]. Appreciate the feedback. And, yeah, I'm 5'8" too, not used to wondering about ANYTHING being too short

Comment

Working...
                                X