Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like the fit. Looks like you'll have room for a suit jacket underneath. I also prefer a more straight-down cut for topcoats and thus like that this isn't cinched in the waist.

Comment

Originally posted by vespertiliovir View Post
      I like the fit. Looks like you'll have room for a suit jacket underneath. I also prefer a more straight-down cut for topcoats and thus like that this isn't cinched in the waist.
      Thanks. I agree. Been looking for a nice wool topcoat for the past 2 months and i think this one fits the bill. I wanted something that looked a bit more formal and something i can wear over a suit when i go see clients. I bought the JCP topcoat (reviewed by Joe) and the Jcrew topcoat and found both to be way too long. Both went to the knee.

Comment

Originally posted by htnguyen View Post
        Both from Jcrew and are size 34s. I am 5'4" at 150lbs with a very muscular frame. I know the tail looks funny but that is because I have extremely large glutes from powerlifting and playing soccer the last few years and this isn't something tailoring can fix .

http://i.imgur.com/6oWwoLd.jpg

The shoulders are way to narrow and the vent gapes too much. More importantly, of course a tailor can't enlarge a jacket – not to the degree you need anyway. That's why you buy a jacket that fits your shoulders and accommodates your seat and then go to the tailor to have everything that can be narrowed, nipped and tapered tailored.

At that size those jackets are, to me, unwearable.

Comment

Originally posted by ronrob View Post
          I'd suggest that you are significantly mis-sized in the jacket. The shoulders in your jacket aren't where they need to be, likely because your shoulders are too broad. You may suffer from the same issues I have as a fellow lifter. I'm 6'2", but have large shoulders and a broad back *particularly for my chest size*. My chest measure is only 41.5, and that's after a ton of gym work that has put on 3.5" onto that number. My shoulders and back grew right along with all that chest work. The measure around my shoulders is 9-9.5" larger, at 50.5-51.

My point being that you might measure right for a 34S jacket if all you're looking at is the chest number. However (from my reading), many jackets are designed around a shoulder number that's ~7" larger than the chest number. Measure the circumference around your shoulders, and if that number is larger than about 41 in your case, you'll have to size up at least one and possibly two jacket sizes. That will mean first that you WILL have to have the jacket tailored for waist suppression in the larger sized jacket, but shoulder fit and lapel lay is priority one in jacket fit. Just guessing from the pictures I'd say a 38S would be the most likely fit. You've got a lot of arm hanging out past the shoulder seam. Go to a decent mall shop, like a Dillards where there's a large dedicated suit section, and have them size you up and try on for fit.

Prominent triceps can also play into the fit with the arms, but if you're anything like me, you'll have to decide between imperfect fits with off the rack stuff. I generally settle on a 44L, though my shoulders would like a bit more room that the 46 offers...it's just that the overall lay of the 44 in my preferred brand is slightly better. So usually a 44L with the middle back seam let out up to an inch by the tailor. For me, he typically lets that seam out, suppresses the waist significantly, drops the collar (very upright posture), and then gets into the usuals of sleeve length and such. It does get expensive.

The larger jacket size should solve some of (but probably not all) of the tail issue as well.
          Much thanks for the thorough response. I went ahead and returned the jackets and tried sizing up to a 38S and it fit much much better in the shoulders & chest but the length was just way too long. I don't think Jcrew is a good fit for a guy like me.

Comment

Originally posted by htnguyen View Post
            Much thanks for the thorough response. I went ahead and returned the jackets and tried sizing up to a 38S and it fit much much better in the shoulders & chest but the length was just way too long. I don't think Jcrew is a good fit for a guy like me.
            I think you'll find that, for your build, it's going to be very difficult to find a jacket that's both wide enough at the shoulders and also short enough. While I agree that J Crew is not for you, I think that's primarily because of the narrow lapels on all J Crew jackets. The length problem is always going to be with you, esp. at your price level (I'm guessing). See this guide for a rough recommendation on your next purchase.

Comment

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm trying to add a new post to this thread with some pictures of a jacket I just bought, and I don't see any way to upload the image. The instructions in the FAQ are not accurate and I tried searching for the answer with no luck. Are people using a third-party image site? Thanks.

Comment

I use image shack, then just use the IMG tags around the URL for the photo.

Comment

Purchased this blazer from BR. Its a bit tight in the arms but other than that I think it fits well. 100% cotton outer. Worth $100? I've been looking for a grey sport coat.

Sorry the focus is off, wasn't paying attention to my camera settings.

Comment

Looks like you need to cut the vents open to get a better idea of how it will actually fit in the back.
                    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by jd4040 View Post
                      Sorry if I'm missing something obvious here, but I'm trying to add a new post to this thread with some pictures of a jacket I just bought, and I don't see any way to upload the image. The instructions in the FAQ are not accurate and I tried searching for the answer with no luck. Are people using a third-party image site? Thanks.
                      http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...581#post191581

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        Looks like you need to cut the vents open to get a better idea of how it will actually fit in the back.
                        I would but I don't want to commit to it. My caboose is always getting in the way...

Comment

You can still return a jacket after cutting the vents... just keep the tags on.
                          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                            You can still return a jacket after cutting the vents... just keep the tags on.
                            Dude, that's a game changer. I feel like an idiot, but I had no idea.

Comment

Thanks for the image upload info.

Here is a Ludlow jacket in 38R and 40R. I'm really stuck between these two sizes. The 38R is quite snug, but looks good. It's a bit constricting in the arms and is definitely snug at the waist, but doesn't form an X at the button. The 40R feels much more roomy and comfortable in the chest and shoulders, but I think it looks more boxy and less flattering. Should I just try to get used to the 38R? Get the 40R and tailor it? Thanks very much for any feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Creature View Post
                                Purchased this blazer from BR. Its a bit tight in the arms but other than that I think it fits well. 100% cotton outer. Worth $100? I've been looking for a grey sport coat.

Sorry the focus is off, wasn't paying attention to my camera settings.

It's too tight around the stomach. Note the creases around the button and the parting of the quarters. I'd go one size up in the shoulders and get the body tailored. It's not worth the $100 as is, but would be worth the $150 after tailoring.

This is not coming from a traditionalist, by the way. I like close-to-the-body fits as well, but they must be done right.

Comment

Working...
                                X