Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Both from Jcrew and are size 34s. I am 5'4" at 150lbs with a very muscular frame. I know the tail looks funny but that is because I have extremely large glutes from powerlifting and playing soccer the last few years and this isn't something tailoring can fix .

http://i.imgur.com/6oWwoLd.jpg

Comment

Hard to tell but it looks like both jackets could be let out in the waist a little. Not because you're fat (you're not) but because the waist suppression here is so aggressive that the first jacket seems to be pulling lot at the lower back and the second jacket is giving you an hourglass figure.

Letting the jacket out a little in the waist, particularly in the back area, might allow the rear vent to lie a little more naturally as well.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        Hard to tell but it looks like both jackets could be let out in the waist a little. Not because you're fat (you're not) but because the waist suppression here is so aggressive that the first jacket seems to be pulling lot at the lower back and the second jacket is giving you an hourglass figure.

Letting the jacket out a little in the waist, particularly in the back area, might allow the rear vent to lie a little more naturally as well.
        I think you're absolutely right. I have two more questions:

1.) Do the sleeves need to be altered?
        2.) Are these jackets too long for my frame?

Comment

Body length is spot-on for my tastes. Looks like they're just long enough to cover your butt. Some traditionalists might consider them too short, but I wouldn't say they are too long at all.

Sleeve length is pretty close... you could maybe have them shortened a half inch. But they are close enough that I think they are probably fine as-is if you decide not to have them altered.
          Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
            Body length is spot-on for my tastes. Looks like they're just long enough to cover your butt. Some traditionalists might consider them too short, but I wouldn't say they are too long at all.

Sleeve length is pretty close... you could maybe have them shortened a half inch. But they are close enough that I think they are probably fine as-is if you decide not to have them altered.
            Thanks! I would love to size up to have some breathing room but then the shoulders wouldn't fit at all. Hopefully once I lose some of this winter bulk they won't be quite as tight. At least they're tight from hard work and not overeating!

Comment

Originally posted by htnguyen View Post
              Both from Jcrew and are size 34s. I am 5'4" at 150lbs with a very muscular frame. I know the tail looks funny but that is because I have extremely large glutes from powerlifting and playing soccer the last few years and this isn't something tailoring can fix .
              Prominent shoulder divots, probably too much muscle the suit can handle LOL!

Have you tried the crosby line? https://www.jcrew.com/ca/mens_featur...p.jsp#/#crosby

Comment

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                Prominent shoulder divots, probably too much muscle the suit can handle LOL!

Have you tried the crosby line? https://www.jcrew.com/ca/mens_featur...p.jsp#/#crosby
                I haven't been able to try the Crosby line in person but I plan to as soon as I can. I have tried on dozens of different brands and these two jackets are the best I have found so far in my price range and you can see how there are still some fitment issues. With my body type I don't think I'm ever going to get 100% fitment unless I get something made to measure but I think these will come close once I lean out a bit in the midsection.

Comment

I haven't been able to try the Crosby line in person but I plan to as soon as I can. I have tried on dozens of different brands and these two jackets are the best I have found so far in my price range and you can see how there are still some fitment issues. With my body type I don't think I'm ever going to get 100% fitment unless I get something made to measure but I think these will come close once I lean out a bit in the midsection.
                  Ask the tailor about the shoulder divots perhaps he could resolve the issue. I'm guessing (since I have no experience) it will involve letting out the sleeves where they're attached to the arm holes. That may require detaching and re-attaching the sleeves which is probably costly and requires a skillful tailor.

Comment

I just got my first moderately expensive watch. I have really small wrists so I was worried the face was too big, what do you guys think?

Last edited by Binarythird; December 25, 2014, 07:00 PM.

Comment

Heading to a New Year's Eve party this week. Probably one of the first times I started caring about how I looked. Many thanks to these forums! I'm going to take the dress shirt back for a size smaller tomorrow.

Question, tie or no tie? If tie what color/scheme should I look into?

What color pants? I'm thinking dark, black or brown?

And simply does the look work? Much appreciated!

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], looks fine to me.
                        [MENTION=12942]aeroeck[/MENTION], I like the look. What color is the pattern on the shirt? As for the tie, what will the formality be like at the party? With that shirt and the herringbone jacket I would steer clear of any other small patterns if you end up wearing a tie. A solid navy knit tie could work well.

If I were you I would consider navy pants and steer clear of black. If it's formal go for some navy flannels. Less formal: chinos or even some dark denim (without the tie)

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                          [MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], looks fine to me.
                          [MENTION=12942]aeroeck[/MENTION], I like the look. What color is the pattern on the shirt? As for the tie, what will the formality be like at the party? With that shirt and the herringbone jacket I would steer clear of any other small patterns if you end up wearing a tie. A solid navy knit tie could work well.

If I were you I would consider navy pants and steer clear of black. If it's formal go for some navy flannels. Less formal: chinos or even some dark denim (without the tie)
                          Thanks for the quick response. This is the shirt:

http://bananarepublic.gap.com/browse...&pid=288578002

Id say pink with some brown and blue lines as well. Its less formal, a nice setting at my sisters house, definitely closer to the less formal part. I don't want to over dress, but at the same time, I am anxious to put a nice outfit together.

Comment

http://i.imgur.com/6oWwoLd.jpg
                            I'd suggest that you are significantly mis-sized in the jacket. The shoulders in your jacket aren't where they need to be, likely because your shoulders are too broad. You may suffer from the same issues I have as a fellow lifter. I'm 6'2", but have large shoulders and a broad back *particularly for my chest size*. My chest measure is only 41.5, and that's after a ton of gym work that has put on 3.5" onto that number. My shoulders and back grew right along with all that chest work. The measure around my shoulders is 9-9.5" larger, at 50.5-51.

My point being that you might measure right for a 34S jacket if all you're looking at is the chest number. However (from my reading), many jackets are designed around a shoulder number that's ~7" larger than the chest number. Measure the circumference around your shoulders, and if that number is larger than about 41 in your case, you'll have to size up at least one and possibly two jacket sizes. That will mean first that you WILL have to have the jacket tailored for waist suppression in the larger sized jacket, but shoulder fit and lapel lay is priority one in jacket fit. Just guessing from the pictures I'd say a 38S would be the most likely fit. You've got a lot of arm hanging out past the shoulder seam. Go to a decent mall shop, like a Dillards where there's a large dedicated suit section, and have them size you up and try on for fit.

Prominent triceps can also play into the fit with the arms, but if you're anything like me, you'll have to decide between imperfect fits with off the rack stuff. I generally settle on a 44L, though my shoulders would like a bit more room that the 46 offers...it's just that the overall lay of the 44 in my preferred brand is slightly better. So usually a 44L with the middle back seam let out up to an inch by the tailor. For me, he typically lets that seam out, suppresses the waist significantly, drops the collar (very upright posture), and then gets into the usuals of sleeve length and such. It does get expensive.

The larger jacket size should solve some of (but probably not all) of the tail issue as well.

Comment

Hello,

This is the JCF sportcoat in twill, navy. I also just exchanged my 44R JCF thompson in worsted wool for a 42L. Will post the new pics asap. (original pics here: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...223-First-suit )

Pants are the JCF slim bedford pant. I like the fit length wise.
                              Shoes are the Cole Haan Lennox chelsea.
                              Shirt is a cheapo JCPenney polo I got for $10

Butt looks weird because I haven't undone the vent stitch. Does doing so void returns on jackets? I wore it for a few minutes and it seems to fit nice, if not a little snug in the lower chest. I can still hug someone without pulling the stitches out. The last pic is me simulating a hug.

Everything came in a box that was pretty banged up, and was folded in a bag. Its pretty wrinkly. How can I fix this.

Thanks for any tips/comments!

Comment

Michael Kors Topcoat 42R in Navy

Comment

Working...
                                X