This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
    Of course not. I either want have it altered or return it (the ebay seller doesn't accept returns unless the item is significantly different than described, but two of their measurements were off by 1").

That said, I unfortunately have a lot of shirts that don't fit well in terms of sleeve length. Most are 1/4" to 1/2" too short (shirts marked as 36") and the so-called 36/37 shirts (like the white one in the first photos) always seem too long. Using the 2nd cuff button on 36/37 shirts makes the cuff feel and look too tight. I have one MTM shirt (Ratio) that is perfect, but of course those are spendy.
    Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a d-bag there.

Basically If the jacket cannot be altered to fit and two dimensions were off by an inch tell the seller to refund you. If they refuse I think that would qualify as SNAD so open a dispute with ebay and they will refund your money. Sounds to me like it would be justified.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
      Sorry. Didn't mean to sound like a d-bag there.
      Not at all! I can see how it looks like I'm trying to argue that the sleeves are fine. I just wanted to clarify that I wasn't disagreeing with everyone's advice.

Comment

Well, the tailor thinks it can be lengthened enough. I wasn't planning on dropping another $35 on this jacket (since the seller-specified sleeve length would have been about perfect), but at least the tailor will have it ready by Friday.

Comment

Maybe I should give up on BR chinos. Here's another pair that feels OK (except for the apparent wedgie) but I wish the slimmed up more in the thigh and on down.

http://imgur.com/a/yXyy7

Comment

I've got two weddings coming up in October (Philly area) and need a new suit as my old one is really not that great a fit with no hope for fixing it.

I've read good things about the J Crew Factory Thompson and hopefully the price comes down from the 30% off before mid-September. I got a 38R off the rack at the local store and took a few shots of it. The fit is much better than my old suit but I can't say for sure if this is good enough. Can I pull this off as is or should I size up and tailor down? For the record I tried the 31/30 matching pants and they are quite a nice fit, maybe a little too baggy.

There are a few spots I see as "not so great." One, there's a neck roll in the penultimate shot, or is that expected when bringing the left arm around the body? Second, the double vents in the back are flaring out giving a penguin look. Is this normal for a double vent? Lastly, the sleeves are definitely too long, but I don't know how much they can be brought in from tailoring due to the complex button arrangement. Or would it be shortened from the top at the arm holes?

I'd appreciate advice and thoughts from the suit experts here as my past experience is basically null.

Measurements for posterity:
            5'9" 150 lbs
            collar - 15.5"
            chest - 38"
            belly button - 33"
            waist - 34"
            hips - 37"

Comment

[MENTION=12484]dapsoul[/MENTION] Fit looks nice! A tailor can adjust the "neck roll" by taking out a bit of extra fabric/cleaning it up for not too much money BUT that may actually be due to your arm movement, as you suggested. I think the vents may be flaring because the material and bulk of your pants isn't right (you're wearing chinos and not wool trousers), maybe your posture in those pics, or maybe it's just your rear end. They don't look to be flaring as much as I think you believe them to be, again, turning to the side to take a photo distorts things. For your sleeves I think you're probably going up a full inch and that's gonna eat into your last button or two. I would still bring the sleeves up from the cuff, and just have your tailor move the bottom two buttons to the top as follows: [ 1234 ---> [ 3412; if there's decorative stitching they'll have to remove it from all of the buttons but like, nobody notices this anyway so I wouldn't sweat it much as opposed to proper button placement. Much cheaper than adjusting from the shoulder.

If you want, I've got a 38R for sale for $200 right now and I can ship it tomorrow night. It's the navy, not the charcoal. Pants will be a bit big on you at 33/30 though but a tailor could dial them in perfectly.

Comment

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
                Maybe I should give up on BR chinos. Here's another pair that feels OK (except for the apparent wedgie) but I wish the slimmed up more in the thigh and on down.

http://imgur.com/a/yXyy7
                These honestly look totally fine from the front. From the side there's really no definition or shape whatsoever and I can totally understand wanting there to be some. Have you looked at bonobos and J Crew Bowery Slim?

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
                  These honestly look totally fine from the front. From the side there's really no definition or shape whatsoever and I can totally understand wanting there to be some. Have you looked at bonobos and J Crew Bowery Slim?
                  Thanks for the feedback. I ended up returning them, mostly due to the massive wedgie effect. I haven't tried Bonobos or J.Crew yet, but I picked up a pair of each off the Swap & Sell forum and should have them in hand soon. The J Crew pair is the urban fit, though.

I also just won these: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Banana-Repub...vip=true&rt=nc

They might be shapeless, too, but I figure straight and shapeless made of Italian fabric for $18.50 is better than tapered and shapeless made of Chinese fabric for $42.

Comment

[MENTION=12484]dapsoul[/MENTION] Definitely don't size up. You could probably tailor that down, but I'm seeing shoulder pad overhanging your own shoulders in most of the shots, and the sleeves look long on you. If you want to go without tailoring, try the 36.

We're almost the exact same size, I'm 5'8", 160, 39" chest, 32" waist, and I either take a 36r with some button pull, or a 38s tailored everywhere. Just food for thought.

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=2492]LosRockets[/MENTION] and [MENTION=7370]roostertail[/MENTION]. I'm continuing the search and ended up in a local Suit Supply. Tried on a Sienna and I have to say it gave a quality impression. Here's a gallery of the 36R. The sales guy suggested a 36S but I'm not sure why. A regular just covers the butt which I believe is what is supposed to happen.

The shoulders look better I must say and there are some minor alterations to make such as shortening the sleeves by a bit. Not sure if it will hold up, though, if I keep working out and end up in the 165-170 lbs range.

Comment

I just got this trucker in. Just putting it on to try. It's not going in the rotation til the middle to end of fall.

http://i.imgur.com/01zNPd1.jpg

Very Gustin getup.

Shirt: Gustin Heavy Indigo Chambray
                        Denim: Gustin Okayama Stds
                        Jacket: Gustin Dark Oak Trucker
                        Socks: Darn Tough

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                          I just got this trucker in. Just putting it on to try. It's not going in the rotation til the middle to end of fall.

http://i.imgur.com/01zNPd1.jpg

Very Gustin getup.

Shirt: Gustin Heavy Indigo Chambray
                          Denim: Gustin Okayama Stds
                          Jacket: Gustin Dark Oak Trucker
                          Socks: Darn Tough
                          The jacket is a bit loose, but I love this look. Very nice, [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION]!

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                            The jacket is a bit loose, but I love this look. Very nice, [MENTION=11797]devastitis[/MENTION]!
                            Thanks [MENTION=2325]bruschetta[/MENTION]! I don't think it's loose enough, and I'm hoping it stretches a bit. But besides that, it'll go solid with all my denim.

Comment

Originally posted by devastitis View Post
                              Thanks [MENTION=2325]bruschetta[/MENTION]! I don't think it's loose enough, and I'm hoping it stretches a bit. But besides that, it'll go solid with all my denim.
                              like that jacket a lot. Hard to tell but fit seems ok to me.

Comment

hi, folks

i was hoping to get some opinions on a suit and shirt i had made by spoon tailor in San Francisco. i'm not well-versed in classic menswear, so i'm not really sure what i'm looking for and the guys at spoon tend to rely on your direction. i believe this is the sixth time i've been in to spoon to try and get the fit right, but every time i come in, my concerns haven't been fully addressed.

i've got a fairly muscular build with about an 8" drop, maybe a bit more. the first cut was so form fitting, it created an hourglass silhouette. i had them let it out and then let out again, and again. now it's starting to feel pretty loose in the chest, but now i can raise my arms comfortably and the "X" around the top button has subsided (tho in pictures, it still appears to be there).

shirt: seems the shirt would benefit from some darting, but is otherwise fine.

suit: from the front, it looks pretty good, tho as noted, there seems to be some pulling still. from the back, there is some extra fabric behind my left shoulder blade, a lot of bunching behind my thighs (which they say they can correct by removing some excess fabric), and it's not noticeable in the picture, but there is puckering along the right side jacket seam, which i think is related to another issue where the vent on the right side is not laying the same as the left side (right side ends up gapping).

suggestions and opinions appreciated. thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X