Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on this Claiborne jacket I just got in 38L. I know it's not the best pic but my concern is with length as I'm happy with the rest. Also, mind the pants since I got the jacket on clearance but couldn't find the matching pants.
    http://www.imagebam.com/image/718984343667194

Comment

[MENTION=6514]sanjaygolf[/MENTION] Looks fine to me, maybe a touch on the short side, but given that it's a modern cut, I'd be satisfied. I hope you're planning on getting the pants though.

Comment

Originally posted by roostertail View Post
        [MENTION=6514]sanjaygolf[/MENTION] Looks fine to me, maybe a touch on the short side, but given that it's a modern cut, I'd be satisfied. I hope you're planning on getting the pants though.
        I had to order the pants online (and had to get 32x34 instead of 32x32) because the slim fit is a clearance item now and hard to find. I was super lucky just to find a 38L in store. It's kinda odd that a "long" jacket would so close to the short side. I wonder if a 40L would be any longer

Comment

[MENTION=6514]sanjaygolf[/MENTION] it will be just a little longer. I've tried them both on. It looks good. Maybe just a touch snug in the waist, but you could definitely wear it as is.

Comment

BB sport coat off of eBay...are the sleeves rakish or just too damn short? What about these BR Aiden Chinos? Don't seem all that slim to me...and are they too long?

Pics:
            http://imgur.com/a/ph3En

(Apologies for the filthy 80 year old mirror)

Comment

Originally posted by aw82 View Post
              BB sport coat off of eBay...are the sleeves rakish or just too damn short? What about these BR Aiden Chinos? Don't seem all that slim to me...and are they too long?

Pics:

Sleeves are too short for sure. Rest looks good in the pics

The pants look long but I would wash them first incase they shrink.

Comment

What [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] said, [MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION].
                "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                  What [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] said, [MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION].
                  Thanks guys. I could maybe get another half inch out of those sleeves but that might not even be enough. The seller misstated the measurements by a half inch for the sleeves and one inch for the shoulders.

Comment

Thanks guys. I could maybe get another half inch out of those sleeves but that might not even be enough. The seller misstated the measurements by a half inch for the sleeves and one inch for the shoulders.
                    If you need a little extra length and your tailor is decent they can do what is called a false hem (IIRC) at the cuffs. Basically the tailor can sew the cuff to a piece of fabric which is sewn to the lining.

Comment

Pics:

I agree with these guys on the jacket, definitely need lengthened.

As far as the chinos, it looks like the cut just doesn't work on your frame. Everything from the knees up just looks shapeless. If you could try a waist size down, that might help, if not I'd say you just need a narrower cut in the top block.

Comment

Thanks everyone. Here are a couple of photos with a shirt that has slightly shorter sleeves (which many of my shirts have thanks to my 36.5" arms). I think it looks OK now, but obviously still not ideal.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-r...812_072911.jpg
                        https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-0...812_072933.jpg

Comment

[MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION], I would get the sleeves lengthened. Now the whole thing just looks too short.
                          "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Originally posted by greg_s View Post
                            [MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION], I would get the sleeves lengthened. Now the whole thing just looks too short.
                            Thanks. I assume by "whole thing" you mean jacket sleeves + shirt sleeves (and not that the body looks too short), right?

Comment

[MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION] do you want to wear a jacket that doesn't fit only with a shirt that also doesn't fit?

To answer your question it looks better in that you don't see 2 inches of your shirt but it is still too short. Also the way you are holding your arm looks like you are trying very hard to make it look like it is the right length.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                                [MENTION=12345]aw82[/MENTION] do you want to wear a jacket that doesn't fit only with a shirt that also doesn't fit?

To answer your question it looks better in that you don't see 2 inches of your shirt but it is still too short. Also the way you are holding your arm looks like you are trying very hard to make it look like it is the right length.
                                Of course not. I either want have it altered or return it (the ebay seller doesn't accept returns unless the item is significantly different than described, but two of their measurements were off by 1").

That said, I unfortunately have a lot of shirts that don't fit well in terms of sleeve length. Most are 1/4" to 1/2" too short (shirts marked as 36") and the so-called 36/37 shirts (like the white one in the first photos) always seem too long. Using the 2nd cuff button on 36/37 shirts makes the cuff feel and look too tight. I have one MTM shirt (Ratio) that is perfect, but of course those are spendy.

Comment

Working...
                                X