Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I guess that came out the wrong way [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]. I'm pretty sure I'm a 42 R but never purchased a suit online and it's my first JCF. At time of ordering I figured to try 42 L (no R) since I'm 6'2". Never paid much attention to fit as I do now (thank Dappered) and according to reviews, thought L was the way to go.

    Comment


      Originally posted by Tommy View Post
      I guess that came out the wrong way [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION]. I'm pretty sure I'm a 42 R but never purchased a suit online and it's my first JCF. At time of ordering I figured to try 42 L (no R) since I'm 6'2". Never paid much attention to fit as I do now (thank Dappered) and according to reviews, thought L was the way to go.
      Try the 40L. I'm 6'2" 190# and I wear a 40L. You may have an issue with the shoulders as the side view of you in the 42L looks like you are filling it out below the shoulder pad.

      Comment


        [MENTION=5398]Tommy[/MENTION] - I think the length on the jacket looks good - you can try sizing down, but I think then you'll be busting out of the chest/shoulders. As long as you can return, then give it a shot.

        Comment


          I received my J.Crew Wool-Cotton Windowpane Ludlow suit - this fits a wee bit little smaller than other Ludlows I've tried... This is a 40S jacket and 34/30 Slim pants - I'm going to exchange the jacket for 40R, since the 40S just looks too short and the sleeves would have to be let out a tiny bit anyway (apologies for the filthy mirror - courtesy of a 4-year old!):









          Aside from the length, the only thing that is kind of bothering me is the bulging in the lapels, but a size 38 was way too tight (couldn't move) and size 42 was too big in the shoulders. I don't think the lapels would bother me that much, and might even reduce somewhat as the jacket "breaks in" - I could also see if a tailor could do something...
          Last edited by Jamie; May 3, 2014, 11:30 AM.

          Comment


            The pants need to be let out a little - I want to keep a minimal break since they're slim, but don't want "high waters" - I'm not a J.Crew model... I had to size up in the waist to 34 since my usual size 32 was ridiculously tight in the thighs. The waist needs to be taken in a little, but the seat and thighs (while slim) are okay.





            Comment


              I'm thinking of exchanging for a longer length and then hemming them, in order to possibly gain a little bit extra room in the cuff opening. As you can see in these pics, the taper at the bottom is pretty aggressive - so I think if I got a longer length and hemmed them, I might be able to gain maybe .75" or so... I'm aiming for an 8" cuff opening, and these ones don't have enough material to widen the cuff.



              This is measured approx. 4" higher up the leg, and why I'm considering that hemming a pant with a longer inseam might get me a bit more width in cuff opening:



              Anyway, general thoughts on the suit - does anyone have a JCrew Ludlow Pant in Slim in Size 34/34 to provide me with measurements by any chance?!

              Comment


                Originally posted by Jamie View Post
                I received my J.Crew Wool-Cotton Windowpane Ludlow suit - this fits a wee bit little smaller than other Ludlows I've tried... This is a 40S jacket and 34/30 Slim pants - I'm going to exchange the jacket for 40R, since the 40S just looks too short and the sleeves would have to be let out a tiny bit anyway (apologies for the filthy mirror - courtesy of a 4-year old!):









                Aside from the length, the only thing that is kind of bothering me is the bulging in the lapels, but a size 38 was way too tight (couldn't move) and size 42 was too big in the shoulders. I don't think the lapels would bother me that much, and might even reduce somewhat as the jacket "breaks in" - I could also see if a tailor could do something...
                Jamie, fist off thanks for your feedback on my suit! As for yours, the sleeve length does look short and I am not sure but can it be let out for that little bit extra as the overall length looks great! The pants do look short. Maybe buying unhemmed will help get that little bit extra. Great looking suit!!

                Comment


                  Hello guys,
                  As a result of the recent 50% sale at BR I picked up this suit. The last suit I purchased was about 10 years ago for a wedding, so this is probably the first suit that I'm trying to be more conscious of size and fit with. It is a 36S jacket w/ 31x30 pants. I'm 5'6 and about 130 lbs. Out of the box I think it fits well compared to what I normally find. A few concerns, I'm not sure about the shoulders (I think my arms push out past the shoulder?) or the slight X in the middle. Also it seems to be about an inch too short according to the curl test. See attached pictures. Any advise would be appreciated, thanks!
                  http://imgur.com/YyBtsK3
                  http://imgur.com/39hFUBg
                  http://imgur.com/wU48GTZ

                  Comment


                    Another Blazer Fit Question

                    Two more blazers to compare. Although I think the fit is pretty good, I am not a huge fan of the color of the sandy colored grey one. I was expecting something more brownish. The other fits that bill, but is unfortunately shorter. I am worried that it is too short as it doesn't really cover my butt. Thoughts?

                    https://imgur.com/a/g3frD#6

                    Comment


                      I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.

                      First, some details:
                      I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.


                      I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)

                      (Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)

                      Option 1
                      Store: Men's Warehouse
                      Brand: Joseph Abboud
                      Material: 100% wool
                      Price: $480

                      Buttoned:



                      Close up:



                      Option 2
                      Store: Macy's
                      Brand: Bar III
                      Material: 100% wool
                      Price: $300

                      Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)



                      Close up (this is the right color, just the wrong size):



                      My thoughts:

                      1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy.

                      2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment).

                      3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine.

                      4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no?

                      Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by elduderino260 View Post
                        Two more blazers to compare. Although I think the fit is pretty good, I am not a huge fan of the color of the sandy colored grey one. I was expecting something more brownish. The other fits that bill, but is unfortunately shorter. I am worried that it is too short as it doesn't really cover my butt. Thoughts?

                        https://imgur.com/a/g3frD#6
                        LOL it's been awhile since someone complains that a sport coat is too short. Yes, they're too short compared if you're looking for a traditional cut. The button stance is high, too. But that's what Topman sells. They don't drape well on your butt, either.

                        Comment


                          I think the weird perch on the butt is a result of the vent still being stitched. I'm not really looking for something traditional. I want to be stylish without going to these (http://articles1.fashionbeans.com/th...988678-150.jpg) lengths (pun intended), but the lengths still worry me...Not sure if I'm over analyzing this...

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by elduderino260 View Post
                            I think the weird perch on the butt is a result of the vent still being stitched. I'm not really looking for something traditional. I want to be stylish without going to these (http://articles1.fashionbeans.com/th...988678-150.jpg) lengths (pun intended), but the lengths still worry me...Not sure if I'm over analyzing this...
                            If I *had* to pick one I will pick the darker one. The other one has the button stance too high and lapel too skinny.

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by wien116 View Post
                              I'm in the market for a new suit and currently debating between a couple.

                              First, some details:
                              I'm 22 and don't have have too many occasions to wear a suit. That said, this is likely the only suit I'll own for the next decade. I'm just looking for something classic that I can wear for a wide variety of formal occasions. My budget is in the $250-500 range. I'm probably a 38L or 39L slim (or extra slim) fit.


                              I think it's pretty much down to these two... (although if you have any other suggestions, I'm all ears.)

                              (Note that the pants in all photos are my current pants—not the ones that come with the suit.)

                              Option 1
                              Store: Men's Warehouse
                              Brand: Joseph Abboud
                              Material: 100% wool
                              Price: $480

                              Buttoned:



                              Close up:



                              Option 2
                              Store: Macy's
                              Brand: Bar III
                              Material: 100% wool
                              Price: $300

                              Buttoned (This is navy, but that's just because it was the only 38L they had in stock. I'd be getting this size but in the dark charcoal color below.)



                              Close up (this is the right color, just the wrong size):



                              My thoughts:

                              1. I think the Abboud looks a bit crisper/sleaker while the Bar III might be a bit puffy.

                              2. One thing I like about the Bar III is that, because these are both pretty snug fits, if I were to bulk up much in the next decade, they might not fit any more (i.e. $300 might be a wiser investment).

                              3. I'm on the border between a 38 and 40, but I'm wearing a 38 in these pics. It's maybe a bit snug, but probably fine.

                              4. Everyone sales guy has said I'm a long (that's the size I'm wearing in these pics), but I've been told by a friend to ditch the long and go with a regular. I feel like the suit/sleeve lengths both look pretty good, though, no?

                              Anyways, I'd really appreciate any input. Thanks!
                              Need picture of the back. Full-length body and from the side also while you're at it.

                              Abboud seems to fit better on the shoulder.

                              Suit length seems fine.

                              Sleeves are easy to alter (as long as the jacket doesn't have functional buttons). Your hands seem long you might benefit from shortening the sleeves and show some shirt cuffs.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by 3piece View Post
                                If I *had* to pick one I will pick the darker one. The other one has the button stance too high and lapel too skinny.
                                But I take it based on this response that you're not a fan of either?

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X