This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 3piece View Post
    Post full-body photos next time--front, side, and back.

My concern with that jacket is not the sleeves. The length of jacket seems too shorts. But I don't know, perhaps your legs are short, too, that it may be proportional.
    3-way shot, as requested. I may need to find a better way to host pics...

Comment

Originally posted by JayS View Post

Sleeves are a smidge short, but a button down with longer sleeves/cuffs will fix that. Even if you bought that jacket at a store, I wouldn't tell you to size up just for the sleeves. It will allow the cuffs of your button down to peek out at the bottom, which is a good look IMO.

It might be the sunlight/shadowing, but the shoulders look pretty puckered/divoted. It's not unwearable, but the shoulders and sleeves should be smoother. Then again the shoulders look absolutely fine in your other pic, so it may really just be the lighting.

It looks a tad short, but everything else seems to be in more or less a perfect fit, so that blazer may just be designed with a shorter tail (unfortunately the trend nowadays). And if it were significantly longer, the jacket tail would go past your butt, which is just way too long. This is a perfectly wearable blazer. Nice find.

Comment

Originally posted by JayS View Post

I think the jacket fits pretty good overall. The shoulder is a bit long but nothing too concerning. I actually recommend having the sleeves slightly shorter. Otherwise the sleeves may look fine if you have a longer shirt.

Comment

BR Tailored Fit Sateen Blazer

Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding if the 38R or the 40R fit me for the BR Tailored Fit Cotton Sateen Blazer. I'm not sure if the 38R is either too small or too short.

38R:

40R:

It'd be great if you guys can provide some feedback.

Comment

Originally posted by Jano4 View Post
            I think the jacket fits pretty good overall. The shoulder is a bit long but nothing too concerning. I actually recommend having the sleeves slightly shorter. Otherwise the sleeves may look fine if you have a longer shirt.
            Thank you! I appreciate the input. RE: the sleeves. I'm pretty sure that any long-sleeved shirt I own would come well below the jacket sleeves. In the pic, my shirt sleeves are actually rolled up 'cause it was about 90 degrees at the time and I just put the jacket on over whatever I was already wearing.

Comment

New Black Lapel MTM - thoughts?

Hey guys,

Just received a slim fit navy suit from Black Lapel. Before I send photos to Black Lapel, some critique of the fit/suggestions from you folks would be very much appreciated.

My first reactions, please feel free to let me know if you agree/disagree:
              - Pants are too long.
              - Pants are too baggy. (I thought slim would be much slimmer). Is it easy to fix this at a tailor or should they be remade?
              - Sleeves are a touch too long.
              - There is some rumpling on the upper front of the jacket between the lapels and the sleeves. What causes this and how do I fix it?
              - Shoulders seem ok, but maybe a touch too big? Interested in your thoughts.
              - There is a roll in the back of the shoulders - how does this get fixed?
              - Pretty big problems with the back of the sleeves - is this caused by the armholes being too high? Can a tailor fix this?
              - The shoulders poof up a bit at the seam where the shoulders meet the sleeves. While sitting on the hanger, this sits perfectly flat. Is this normal?

Overall, I'm looking for advice on whether these issues can be fixed by a tailor, or whether I'm looking at a remake. Thanks! Let me know if you need more photos.

Comment

Originally posted by Lefty14 View Post
                Hey guys,

Just received a slim fit navy suit from Black Lapel. Before I send photos to Black Lapel, some critique of the fit/suggestions from you folks would be very much appreciated.

My first reactions, please feel free to let me know if you agree/disagree:
                - Pants are too long.
                - Pants are too baggy. (I thought slim would be much slimmer). Is it easy to fix this at a tailor or should they be remade?
                - Sleeves are a touch too long.
                - There is some rumpling on the upper front of the jacket between the lapels and the sleeves. What causes this and how do I fix it?
                - Shoulders seem ok, but maybe a touch too big? Interested in your thoughts.
                - There is a roll in the back of the shoulders - how does this get fixed?
                - Pretty big problems with the back of the sleeves - is this caused by the armholes being too high? Can a tailor fix this?
                - The shoulders poof up a bit at the seam where the shoulders meet the sleeves. While sitting on the hanger, this sits perfectly flat. Is this normal?

Overall, I'm looking for advice on whether these issues can be fixed by a tailor, or whether I'm looking at a remake. Thanks! Let me know if you need more photos.
                1. where are you wearing the pants; judging by the lines showing from the rear, you may be wearing the pants to low? it may need to sit higher on your waist. Try with a belt on. If its in the right place, they just cut the rear incorrectly. You should prolly take it to a tailor, preferably one that pins and not chalks, with dress shoes and a button up. They can address the but area, some have flat but others don't so the pants sit incorrectly. They can address the hem as well, you may even need a taper if you find the leg to be too big, I cant tell with all the bunching.

2. The rumpling on the arm under the shoulder is usually from the jacket being too big...might be the case here; but it drapes well in the back which is a bit weird IMO. I think the sizing is slightly off. Personally not a total deal breaker because the jacket looks nice.

3. It this the thing your referring to where the arm poofs is prolly because of roping, is this an Italian suit? If so that's normal, the Italian love roping.

4. the bunching your seeing in the back is due to improper suppression in the seam. I think that's why the back looks nice and fit, but tight at the top.

Ultimately there is a lot going on in this fit, I would take it back and be remade, if they are going to cover that cost. A tailor might charge a lot to address these issues.

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

Hi guys! So I ordered my first shirt from Proper Cloth using the measurements of another shirt that I own and love, and while it's wearable, I certainly will be changing my sizing for the next shirt. It might be because they have a few options which most other shirts don't, or maybe I just measured poorly - I'm not sure. But here's the shirt.

My thoughts so far:

- Too tight in chest. By .5-1"
                  - Too tight in waist By 1"+ (I think this is partially because they thought that the slimmest point of my waist would be higher than it is.)
                  - Shoulders are tight but perfect (thank you "very sloping shoulders" option)
                  - Upper arms = good, lower arms = too tapered (un-select "tailored forearm" option and add .5 to each cuff size)
                  - Armholes too high (un-select tailored armpit option)

That said, the shirt is made of great material and I certainly don't regret the purchase, even if it won't be an everyday wear

Thoughts?

Comment

Originally posted by MaxMan View Post
                    1. where are you wearing the pants; judging by the lines showing from the rear, you may be wearing the pants to low? it may need to sit higher on your waist. Try with a belt on. If its in the right place, they just cut the rear incorrectly. You should prolly take it to a tailor, preferably one that pins and not chalks, with dress shoes and a button up. They can address the but area, some have flat but others don't so the pants sit incorrectly. They can address the hem as well, you may even need a taper if you find the leg to be too big, I cant tell with all the bunching.

2. The rumpling on the arm under the shoulder is usually from the jacket being too big...might be the case here; but it drapes well in the back which is a bit weird IMO. I think the sizing is slightly off. Personally not a total deal breaker because the jacket looks nice.

3. It this the thing your referring to where the arm poofs is prolly because of roping, is this an Italian suit? If so that's normal, the Italian love roping.

4. the bunching your seeing in the back is due to improper suppression in the seam. I think that's why the back looks nice and fit, but tight at the top.

Ultimately there is a lot going on in this fit, I would take it back and be remade, if they are going to cover that cost. A tailor might charge a lot to address these issues.

Thanks for these comments Max, they're helpful.

1. Yeah, I'm sure some of the issues with the pants are because they were sitting a bit too low. But they need quite a bit of work regardless.

2. Someone else suggested the rumpling under the arm might be caused by a pitch issue with the sleeves... that the sleeves basically need to be rotated forward to accommodate the way my arms sit. Any thoughts on that?

3. It's a Black Lapel (online MTM) suit that was made in Shanghai. There is no roping in the sample photo as far as I can tell: http://www.blacklapel.com/suits/solid-navy.html. And there is no visible roping when the jacket sits on a hanger. It's strange.

I'm going to try to get Black Lapel to remake the suit I think. As you say, it seems like there are too many issues here to be easily resolved by a tailor.

Comment

[MENTION=11978]Lefty14[/MENTION], yea with all the work your looking to get done you may need to redo. The sleeve pitch seems fine to me, the sleeve sit very well in level with what appears to be your shoulders slope.
                      "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                      I>0<I

Comment

Originally posted by prtwmf View Post
                        Hi everyone,

I'm having trouble deciding if the 38R or the 40R fit me for the BR Tailored Fit Cotton Sateen Blazer. I'm not sure if the 38R is either too small or too short.

38R:

40R:

It'd be great if you guys can provide some feedback.
                        Bump? I'd appreciate your input.

Comment

Originally posted by hon140 View Post
                          Hi guys! So I ordered my first shirt from Proper Cloth using the measurements of another shirt that I own and love, and while it's wearable, I certainly will be changing my sizing for the next shirt. It might be because they have a few options which most other shirts don't, or maybe I just measured poorly - I'm not sure. But here's the shirt.

My thoughts so far:

- Too tight in chest. By .5-1"
                          - Too tight in waist By 1"+ (I think this is partially because they thought that the slimmest point of my waist would be higher than it is.)
                          - Shoulders are tight but perfect (thank you "very sloping shoulders" option)
                          - Upper arms = good, lower arms = too tapered (un-select "tailored forearm" option and add .5 to each cuff size)
                          - Armholes too high (un-select tailored armpit option)

That said, the shirt is made of great material and I certainly don't regret the purchase, even if it won't be an everyday wear

Thoughts?
                          I think it looks pretty good. Keep in mind that I prefer trim fits. At the chest, right by your armpit, I see where you feel it may be tight. Wearing the tie hides any pulling at may be at the buttons. Otherwise I am fine with everything else.

Comment

Just wanted some opinions on my new Wolverine 1ks. I feel like the Wolverine's feel good but look small, as I normally wear 11.5, but these are 10.5! I'm just paranoid they make my feet look small, but all my coworkers tell me they look fly.

http://imgur.com/u8AlClx
                            http://imgur.com/4Y7ayFl

Comment

Originally posted by prtwmf View Post
                              Bump? I'd appreciate your input.
                              [MENTION=11966]prtwmf[/MENTION]: I think the 38R looks better out of the two. It's really hard to get a good idea of what is going on from those pictures, there is a lot of bunching in the arms and back. Maybe this blazer is not for you in either size. Maybe it is just the photos. Can you get the blazer to drape well? Which of the two fit your shoulders the best?

Comment

Originally posted by anonsurfer View Post
                                [MENTION=11966]prtwmf[/MENTION]: I think the 38R looks better out of the two. It's really hard to get a good idea of what is going on from those pictures, there is a lot of bunching in the arms and back. Maybe this blazer is not for you in either size. Maybe it is just the photos. Can you get the blazer to drape well? Which of the two fit your shoulders the best?
                                I think one of the factors is that the cotton is pretty stiff, so my posture definitely affects how it drapes. I can try to take better pictures. Would it be more helpful to take pictures from about face height? The ones I posted had the camera at chest height.

Any comments on the body length? Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X