This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by zcm View Post
    [MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] I would imagine it would depend on the jacket and skill of a tailor. I have never had a jacket altered that much before personally. If I were you I would take it to a tailor and explain the situation and see if he can take in the jacket to your liking.
    alrighty, will do.

Comment

What do you guys think? It's the BR blazer thats on sale for $85

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post

Shoulders and chest look decent. Maybe the waist could come in a touch, but it's hard to tell from that angle. What's going on with the sleeves though? Looks like your shirt sleeves are 2" too long and the jacket sleeves are 1/2" or so too short.

Comment

Originally posted by Gravity View Post
          shoulders, chest, waist, and jacket length all look good. Agree with bjmmcgeever on the sleeves. Probably needs lengthening of the jacket sleeves, but try it on with a dress shirt with shorter sleeves than this shirt.

Comment

I found a couple of thrift store blazers the other day. This is one. Nothing special, but for less than $10 I took a chance. I know it needs to be taken in around the waist (if possible--it may be too much to take in) and the sleeves may be a tad long, but how's the fit look otherwise? I'm hoping to take it to a tailor this weekend to see what they can suggest, too. There's a small shop I drive past almost every day.

If it's a lost cause--meh. It was a cheap lesson.

Comment

Originally posted by bjmcgeever View Post
              Shoulders and chest look decent. Maybe the waist could come in a touch, but it's hard to tell from that angle. What's going on with the sleeves though? Looks like your shirt sleeves are 2" too long and the jacket sleeves are 1/2" or so too short.
              Originally posted by LCDR View Post
              shoulders, chest, waist, and jacket length all look good. Agree with bjmmcgeever on the sleeves. Probably needs lengthening of the jacket sleeves, but try it on with a dress shirt with shorter sleeves than this shirt.

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately I was wearing a tshirt that day so I had to try on one of their size S shirts. You can tell how off the sizing is lol. I'll see if i can go back to the store with a properly fitted shirt!

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], I wouldn’t spend anything to tailor that jacket. If you do, follow the recommendations of a tailor that you trust.
                [MENTION=11789]Gravity[/MENTION], Looks good. I wouldn’t take the waist in any further than that or you’ll wind up with an hourglass shape.
                [MENTION=11715]BetterPops[/MENTION], The jacket looks is too large all around.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                  [MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], I wouldn’t spend anything to tailor that jacket. If you do, follow the recommendations of a tailor that you trust.
                  [MENTION=11789]Gravity[/MENTION], Looks good. I wouldn’t take the waist in any further than that or you’ll wind up with an hourglass shape.
                  [MENTION=11715]BetterPops[/MENTION], The jacket looks is too large all around.
                  Thanks bruschetta. The sleeves will definitely need to be shortened a bit. When I took zcm's advice and tried on a shirt underneath, it covered the shirt completely...im thinking about a half inch....the buttons are functional but are 1 3/4" from the cuff. I'm just happy the shoulders are ok...but it still makes no sense since I'm really about a 39 size.

Comment

Hey all, I pulled the trigger on a 40L Navy SS suit the other day, picked it up after hemming sleeves and trousers, I also had an issue with "puckering" in the top of the sleeve, they said they put some adit'l padding in the shoulders to help with this. Incidentally the charcoal SS suit I bought in the same size doesn't have nearly as much of a problem with this.

I still notice some upper sleeve puckering post-alterations but only on the right sleeve, wanted to get an opinion on how it looks - I may just be doing a perfectionist thing here and it doesn't really matter.

I think it is caused my my deltoid pushing out on the sleeve about 2-3" beneath the top of the armhole - I lift weights so it's probably more developed than most folks and when I mess around with the fabric I can tell it's my deltoid that is applying force to the upper sleeve and subsequently causing the very top portion to wrinkle.

https://plus.google.com/photos/11358...61738218968369

Comment

[MENTION=9567]sippyCUP[/MENTION] I usually wear a 40L in most brands I'm 6'2" 190#. If you don't mind me asking what cut did you go with and what is your approx height and weight. There are no nearby SS stores so I would probably order online.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                        [MENTION=9567]sippyCUP[/MENTION] I usually wear a 40L in most brands I'm 6'2" 190#. If you don't mind me asking what cut did you go with and what is your approx height and weight. There are no nearby SS stores so I would probably order online.
                        [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], yup, I'm 6'3", 190lbs, went with Napoli. Overall fit seems to work well for me.

Comment

All,

Here's the pix in question, am I just being anal about this puckering on the upper sleeve? Sometimes it doesn't seem bad, other times it kind of gets worse with movement and then stays there (like the further away photo).

Comment

Thanks [MENTION=9567]sippyCUP[/MENTION].

Do you have any shots straight on?

Comment

[MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION], indeed, see below, 40L Napoli pre-tailoring (All I did was hem sleeves and some padding in shoulder to reduce sleeve cap rumpling/divoting/etc).

Comment

In those straight on shots its hardly noticeable at all, and I'd say the shoulders absolutely fit. Its very minor and I'm not sure if you're going to get much better than that without going MTM or bespoke. You say the charcoal you have doesn't have the same problem? Are you sure its not just because the fabric is darker so you don't notice it? Because if the charcoal has a perfectly smooth shoulder/sleeve cap, than you're lucky that you can get such a perfect fit off the rack! I'd say don't worry about it - because I wouldn't - but if its going to bother you, and prevent you from enjoying what is otherwise a very nice fitting suit, then you can see if the tailors can fix it.

Comment

Working...
                                X