Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

First off, sorry I couldn't get the pics to show on here, for some reason it ain't working no matter how I insert.

I'm kind of in the same situation as LCDR. Been looking for a nice, versatile Navy Blazer for ages, but could not find one that fit in the shoulders and body as well. Finally, I decided to just get one that I liked that fit in the shoulders and length, and get the rest tailored. I decided to go with the BR Cotton Sateen Blazer in 42L, as I usually wear 40 chest. I got it heavily discounted on ebay and here it is (pics are big):

I feel like the sides will definitely need to be done, maybe the sleeves shortened - anything else stand out to you guys ? Sleeves might be a bit baggy as well.
    Last edited by Binarythird; March 22, 2014, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Binarythird View Post
      First off, sorry I couldn't get the pics to show on here, for some reason it ain't working no matter how I insert.

I'm kind of in the same situation as LCDR. Been looking for a nice, versatile Navy Blazer for ages, but could not find one that fit in the shoulders and body as well. Finally, I decided to just get one that I liked that fit in the shoulders and length, and get the rest tailored. I decided to go with the BR Cotton Sateen Blazer in 42L, as I usually wear 40 chest. I got it heavily discounted on ebay and here it is (pics are big):

I feel like the sides will definitely need to be done, maybe the sleeves shortened - anything else stand out to you guys ? Sleeves might be a bit baggy as well.
      If your chest is 40, you should not buy a 42 in a blazer, sport coat, or suit coat. You should buy a 40 or even a 38. Depending on fit, one sometimes has to go down in jacket sizes but seldom up. About the only time you might size up is in outerwear.

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] what [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] said. Usually the actual chest measurement of a jacket is 3-4ish inches more than the tagged size. Most of my 40L jackets measure around 21.5 inches pit to pit when laid flat. Try a size down maybe. If the waist / chest is a little snug they can be let out. Just make sure the shoulders fit. Do the wall trick to check this. It looks big in the pics. We could help you out better if you would button the jacket and either have someone take the pics or use a self-timer on your camera.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
          [MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] what [MENTION=6633]Duvel[/MENTION] said. Usually the actual chest measurement of a jacket is 3-4ish inches more than the tagged size. Most of my 40L jackets measure around 21.5 inches pit to pit when laid flat. Try a size down maybe. If the waist / chest is a little snug they can be let out. Just make sure the shoulders fit. Do the wall trick to check this. It looks big in the pics. We could help you out better if you would button the jacket and either have someone take the pics or use a self-timer on your camera.
          Geez, sounds like another fashion FAIL trying to find a blazer. I actually tried the 40 on in the BR store and it fit to tight, i couldn't even raise my arms - I tired the 42 on and it felt nice, and the worker there said it was a good fit. I found it and pulled the trigger thinking this was finally the versatile navy blazer i've been wanting, with a little bit of tailoring. Anyways, I'll do what you said and provide some better pics. My tailor is good and fairly cheap. If it's a lost cause, I'll probably sell it on this forum if anyone is interested, it's a great looking/feeling blazer.

Comment

Originally posted by Binarythird View Post
            Geez, sounds like another fashion FAIL trying to find a blazer. I actually tried the 40 on in the BR store and it fit to tight, i couldn't even raise my arms - I tired the 42 on and it felt nice, and the worker there said it was a good fit. I found it and pulled the trigger thinking this was finally the versatile navy blazer i've been wanting, with a little bit of tailoring. Anyways, I'll do what you said and provide some better pics. My tailor is good and fairly cheap. If it's a lost cause, I'll probably sell it on this forum if anyone is interested, it's a great looking/feeling blazer.
            Maybe it is a good fit. Post some new/better pics and let's see

Comment

Maybe it is a good fit. Post some new/better pics and let's see
              will do, this evening. Thanks. I did the wall test and it was fine, the blazer has minimal padding.

Comment

Are you sure you measure 40? Maybe it is a good fit after all? Hard to tell right now, I guess. Sorry to come down so hard, but it doesn't make apparent sense to go up a size in suiting from what you measure.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                  Are you sure you measure 40? Maybe it is a good fit after all? Hard to tell right now, I guess. Sorry to come down so hard, but it doesn't make apparent sense to go up a size in suiting from what you measure.
                  I totally agree, but there are two things: I have really huge shoulders for my frame, and this is also a BR "tailored" fit blazer. BR tailored fit is known for being fairly tight, often causing some to size up. I'll take some better pics this evening for sure guys, thanks for all the help. My tailor is great and very affordable, so if it means taking in the sides and shortening the sleeves, it's not a big deal - probably around $45, which would be worth it. If the shoulders/chest look too big, I'll sell it on here though. I'm in love with material and color.

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], it is very difficult to tell from the pictures. The jacket length looks ok so far, and the shoulders might be ok. It looks like the sleeves should be shortened.

It would be better to post straight-on pics with your arms at your side.

When I was getting used to better fitting suits, the chest fit was difficult to learn. Now I would recommend something moderately snug feeling, but not constricting. It should not feel as loose as something like a sweater or casual jacket. Then it would be too big.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                      [MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION], it is very difficult to tell from the pictures. The jacket length looks ok so far, and the shoulders might be ok. It looks like the sleeves should be shortened.

It would be better to post straight-on pics with your arms at your side.

When I was getting used to better fitting suits, the chest fit was difficult to learn. Now I would recommend something moderately snug feeling, but not constricting. It should not feel as loose as something like a sweater or casual jacket. Then it would be too big.

One of them most frustrating things in finding a blazer has been finding one that is long enough. It seems like EVERY store i go to has blazers that stop just past my waist, it's so annoying. Thanks for the reply.

Comment

Alright guys, I got some really good pics with good lighting...is it just me or does this blazer fit pretty freaking well? Sleeves aren't as baggy as I thought, and shoulders are very comfortable (not constricted at all, which might not be a good thing). Of course, I'm an amateur, but I feel like a little tailoring on the sides and sleeves and it would be pretty slick:

Any input would be sweet; feel free to be harsh. I can always sell this thing on here for $70 or so.
                        Last edited by Binarythird; March 22, 2014, 11:27 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] looks much better. Looks like it may be just a little snug in the waist but that could be because of how you are holding your arms. (See the 'X' at the button in the first pic ) The sleeves could be a little long. Try it on with a dress shirt and see if you can show some shirt cuff. Shoulders look pretty good IMO.

Protip: try stuff on with what you would actually wear it with. I've made some bad judgments in the past on fit because I tried blazers on with a t shirt and sweats.

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] looks much better. Looks like it may be just a little snug in the waist but that could be because of how you are holding your arms. (See the 'X' at the button in the first pic ) The sleeves could be a little long. Try it on with a dress shirt and see if you can show some shirt cuff. Shoulders look pretty good IMO.

Protip: try stuff on with what you would actually wear it with. I've made some bad judgments in the past on fit because I tried blazers on with a t shirt and sweats.

Thank you! Looks like I'll be keeping it. It's definitely the way I'm holding my arms or the lighting, there is plenty of room in the front, so much so that I was considering taking in the sides for a trimmer fit.
                            Last edited by Binarythird; March 23, 2014, 09:43 AM.

Comment

zcm, do you know if a tailor can reduce the chest size of a blazer by about an inch? I've heard varying answers to this. I just want this thing to be perfect since I love the versatility so much.

Comment

[MENTION=11216]Binarythird[/MENTION] I would imagine it would depend on the jacket and skill of a tailor. I have never had a jacket altered that much before personally. If I were you I would take it to a tailor and explain the situation and see if he can take in the jacket to your liking.

Comment

Working...
                                X