This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    Are you really wearing a t-shirt under that shirt? Sigh... .
    Try wearing grey t-shirts under white shirts (especially thin ones!).

Comment

• ^Agreed. And v-neck if you're going tieless.

Comment

• Originally posted by zcm View Post
        [MENTION=9567]sippyCUP[/MENTION]. Based on those pics 40L all the way. Maybe let the sleeves out just a little and bring in the waist.
        [MENTION=8564]zcm[/MENTION] and Vanquish, thanks for the advice, I pulled the trigger on the 40L Napoli in Navy and a dark grey today with some alterations, I'm excited to get them back!

Eric

Comment

• Hi all,

I've gotten myself an indochino suit and want to hold them to their "flawless fit" promise. I've got the time and reasonable patience to deal with remakes and such but need to know what should and could be fixed... so feel free to rip this one apart. Thanks so much! More pictures to come will be posted on the board (link below) but right now my main concern is this jacket which has a thing for creasing rather than draping.

Again, thank you for your knowledge and criticism.

Brandon

Link to pinterest board with pictures of suit:
          http://www.pinterest.com/brandonmancini/bad-fit/

Comment

• [MENTION=11737]brandonpm[/MENTION] it looks like it is pulling when buttoned, which is causing the lapel to do funny things. You could use your tailoring credit to let the chest out just a little. I personally think it looks damn good otherwise.

Comment

• [MENTION=9567]sippyCUP[/MENTION], glad to help
              [MENTION=11737]brandonpm[/MENTION], zcm nailed it. Chest is a little to snug which is causing the lapels to bunch when your jacket is buttoned.

Comment

• I need another round of opinions on fit. This is my Barbour Commander jacket from a couple months ago. I haven't worn it outside yet because I still need to get it altered. It will cost $60 to shorten the sleeves and some more to bring in the waist, plus shipping costs. In the meantime, I rolled up the sleeves and I sewed on an extra button at the waist to show how it will look after alterations.
                My question: Is it worth it to spend more money on the alterations, or will it still look too big in other ways (shoulders/chest)? Should I ask to have the jacket length shortened also? Did anyone else have similar problems with their Barbour? Thanks.

For reference, I am aiming for this type of fit:

Last edited by LCDR; March 20, 2014, 04:25 PM.

Comment

• [MENTION=10240]LCDR[/MENTION], The Commander is a weird fitting jacket. The sleeves are longer than normal while narrowing the shoulders and slimming the waist. I ordered a Large where normally I'd wear a Medium. I thought it was a pretty solid fit for me, but I'm also a lot taller so the sleeves were just slightly longer than standard outwear. It hit the bottom joint of my thumb versus yours probably covering your hand. The alterations are up to you. I'd definitely shorten the sleeves though.

Comment

• I've heard that Barbour runs large. LCDR, what size do you usually wear in outerwear, and what size is this?

Comment

• This is a medium, but I usually wear a small in other jackets. I am 5'8" and 125 lbs.
                      I am just trying to decide whether to go ahead with the alterations (sleeves, waist, and ?jacket length) or just cut my losses and sell it.

Comment

• Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                        This is a medium, but I usually wear a small in other jackets. I am 5'8" and 125 lbs.
                        I am just trying to decide whether to go ahead with the alterations (sleeves, waist, and ?jacket length) or just cut my losses and sell it.
                        I think I would sell it. I think you're dealing with too much alteration. Then use the money to help buy a new one in your usual size--and actually, maybe consider an XS (125 pounds!). I think it would be closer to the fit you want.

Comment

This is a medium, but I usually wear a small in other jackets. I am 5'8" and 125 lbs.
                          It all depends on how much you want to keep the jacket. I don't think sizing down is going to help in this case. The small isn't that much smaller than the medium and I do not believe they make an XS.

Comment

You may have mentioned this earlier...if so, I apologize, but why did you get a medium and not a small? FWIW, I have a Medium in a different Barbour jacket, and I'm 5'10" and 165 lbs.

Comment

• I wondered that, too.

Comment

• Combination of reasons:
                                1. I got the medium because I read the Dept. B Commander jackets fit much tighter than the rest of the traditional Barbour jackets.
                                2. I also went by the measurements online. The size medium is 17 inches in the shoulders and 20 inches armpit to armpit, which was close to my suit measurements. I thought the small would be too tight in the chest
                                3. I also lost 10 lbs since last fall.

Comment

Working...
                                X