Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm sure some guys will nitpick but I think that's a good fit. Other than having the sleeves shortened a bit.

Check out my men's style and fitness website: www.wellbuiltstyle.com

Stay Fit. Look Sharp.

Comment

Hey guys, just received my denim jacket from UO. Unfortunately, even though the comments said it was Slim Fit, it is actually just the normal size. Do you think I need to return it and grab the slim fit, or would it be too tight?

Cheers.

http://imgur.com/a/I28Ou

Comment

I would call them to see if what you received is what you ordered. They may describe the item as a slim-fitting jacket even though the tag might not say that.

Comment

It actually isn't described as slim fitting online, it was just mentioned in one of the reviews that they received a slim fit one. I'm on the fence about ordering a slim fit one (which are also ridiculously hard to find in a small, I have discovered). If you can find one, I'd love to order it to try it on but I'm not having any luck finding one.

Comment

Huh. That's why I'm leaning towards calling their customer service to sort that out.

Comment

I'll give em a call. Thoughts on the fit, though?

Comment

I'm no expert on jean jacket fit but it looks alright to me. Do you plan on wearing it with only a T under it like the pics? What is bugging you about it?

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Looks a bit loose in the back, but it might me because it is unbuttoned. Otherwise, fit seems fine.

Comment

Yeah probably just a t shirt under it! And nothing really I just wanted to make sure it fit ok! The sleeves are a bit long, however.

Comment

It's a casual jacket. I think you're fine.

Comment

Seems fine to me.

Comment

I purchased a 36S Bar III suit from Macy's for $282 after tax. Probably not the best deal but I'm sort of sick of wearing my only over-sized suit (see http://threads.dappered.com/topic/of...e/3#post-19153) so I'm thinking about getting a new suit to tide me over that won't break the bank but fits better than "ye ol' box".

In my suit shopping, the one that appears to be in the running for best fit is a Brooks Brothers Milano MTM in solid navy, but that might run as high as $1600 and I wouldn't get it for another 8-10 weeks. By that time, I will have already gone to three events where I plan on wearing a suit. (There are at least a couple of more events this year that I will be wearing a suit so it's not a must have a new suit before June. Another consideration is a Joseph Abboud MTM Profile fit through Nordstrom).

The reason for MTM is that as I've been shopping for suits, it's pretty hard to come across a 36S suit period, and when I do, they don't fit the best off of the rack. The BB Fitzgerald takes the cake so far and I'm thinking the Milano will fit even better but it takes 2 weeks for them to get one in store so I haven't actually tried it on.

How does this fit? Off the bat, sleeves need to be shortened and pants obviously hemmed. The Brooks Brothers sales associate said that I've got sloping shoulders and a low right shoulder as well as an erect posture. The erect posture causes some fabric bunching underneath the collar as well as on the shoulder blades.

From the back view, it looks like I've got shoulder dimples that make it look like the jacket is too big, but I can't imagine the shoulders being smaller on this guy. It gets a little snug in the shoulders and back when I complete the hug test.

Tags are still intact and I have 90 days to return it

Higher res photos of the front and back here:

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-mekSNN1d2TE/T6QVrjNuksI/AAAAAAAAlKg/jJ-i0YoizCs/s1600/20120428_9936_pp_full_unsharpened.jpg

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-w...nsharpened.jpg

Comment

As always, the best photography in this thread!

Next time, you'll want to open the vents for the best sense of how it will drape. For the shoulders, I think it has to do with the padding more than anything. Something with less padding might hug the shoulders better and cut down on the arm dimple.

It fits well through the waist. The hips are hard to interpret with the vents closed, but you should be good. I agree about the sleeves. You'll also want the pants tapered and shortened. Probably brought in at the seat too. For the jacket, you could consult about the shoulders. The back is pretty smooth (a good sign) especially for a lightweight fabric. The arms may be a challenge because of all the bunching. I don't know if that could be resolved by rotating the arm attachment. Kind of nitpicky for most people, but hey... Shortening of the arms will be involved because you're gonna have to move the buttons up, but that's all in a day's work for a tailor! I would expect $50 to tailor the pants and $100-125 for the jacket to get it perfect (save for the sleeve issue - not sure if the dimple/wrinkling can be resolved).

What are your thoughts?

Comment

It's too wide across the shoulders. It looks like by quite a bit (too much for a tailor to fix by taking in the center seam). If it feels tight during the hug test, it is likely the chest rather than the shoulders. There is quite a bit of fabric bunching in the back and by the armpits. You can see the dimples across the top of the shoulder near the seam. All indicators that it is big. In the side shots I'm not sure what's going on with the sleeves. Again, likely because it's too wide. It should be convex or flat rather than concave.

The nicely taken, well-lit photos are appreciated man!

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Thanks for the replies guys.

@nicholascrawford: Regarding the arm wrinkles, I think this might be what you're referring to as the fix: http://www.bespokenn.com/post/7262423673/adjusting-sleeve-pitch

On one of my other jackets, I noticed that if I rotate my arm inward to a certain degree, the sleeve wrinkles go away. That was something that the Brooks Brothers sales associate commented on because it was happening on the Fitzgerald jacket that I was trying on, and he said that they would request the sleeve to be rotated in the MTM specifications. I was appreciative of his knowledge. Most other SAs so far just say, "Looks good!"

@greg_s: Dang. If it is too wide in the shoulders, then I wonder if it's merely the construction of the jacket and this won't "work" at all, rather than having to size down (this is a 36 already and the Bar IIIs go no lower).

My shoulder ends pretty much where the seam is. So by that test, it's not too small or too large, but as I look at the rear photo now, the shoulders do look like they extend out a little. But that could be because I raised my arms slightly, which I did to get a better idea of the silhouette of the jacket--everything seems to look like a box when my arms are right by my side.

For what it's worth, I've tried on a variety of 36S jackets where they are stocked, all the way down to the bottom barrel Marc Anthony's at Kohl's: Alfani (Macy's), DKNY slim (Macy's), Calvin Klein Slim (Macy's), "Zegna" (Off Fifth), Calvin Klein (Off Fifth), Versace (Off Fifth), Michael Kors (Off Fifth), Hugo Boss Pasolini (Nordstrom), Hugo Boss Jam-Z (Nordstrom), Fitzgerald (Brooks Brothers), Ludlow (J. Crew), John Varvatos (Nordstrom Rack), Joseph Abboud (Nordstrom Rack).

I haven't had a suit tailored before, so I'm trying to find the suit jacket that fits as best as possible off the rack. Anything that feels roomy I dismiss rather quickly, primarily because I'm not sure how good tailoring can make it. I know that I'll eventually take whatever suit I buy to a tailor and that will be the learning process.

Maybe it's back to the drawing board...

Comment

Working...
                                X