Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I found this (outerwear) jacket at a local retailer. It was the last one in stock and they told me it has been discontinued. I think it's one size too big. The shoulders are wide and the sleeves are long. The problem is I really like the jacket. Any chance to shorten the sleeves? Please tell me it's too big so I can forget about this jacket and move on.
    Last edited by rlriii13; January 31, 2014, 06:07 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by rlriii13 View Post
      I found this (outerwear) jacket at a local retailer. It was the last one in stock and they told me it has been discontinued. I think it's one size too big. The shoulders are wide and the sleeves are long. The problem is I really like the jacket. Any chance to shorten the sleeves? Please tell me it's too big so I can forget about this jacket and move on.
      It's too big! Forget about it--and move on!

Comment

• Originally posted by rlriii13 View Post
        I found this (outerwear) jacket at a local retailer. It was the last one in stock and they told me it has been discontinued. I think it's one size too big. The shoulders are wide and the sleeves are long. The problem is I really like the jacket. Any chance to shorten the sleeves? Please tell me it's too big so I can forget about this jacket and move on.
        It hangs off the shoulders, definitely too big.

Comment

• Thanks fellas. Just the pep talk I needed!

Comment

• It's too big.

Comment

• Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              It's too big.
              That's what she said! (sorry, I had a Michael Scott moment)

Comment

• Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                That's what she said! (sorry, I had a Michael Scott moment)
                You could say that about the thread title.

Comment

• Hey guys I'm new here first time poster, been lurking for awhile and discovering that maybe none of my clothes up until recently fit me as well as they should. I did a major wardrobe overhaul as I just turned 30 and figured its time to start dressing the way I should be. Some basic background info im about 5'8 150lb slim build, I picked up a few blazers from Express the first is a Black Cotton Sateen Notch Lapel Blazer, second is a Herringbone Military Jacket with shoulder epaulettes, I picked these up for a very good deal about 50-60$ each regularly $200 a piece. The Black is a 38R and the Herringbone is a size Small, these are both off the rack fit ( disregard any wrinkles due to them being shipped in the mail) wondering what you guys think. I feel they both fit relatively well aside from the sleeves being a bit long, any thoughts? Do I need to size up/down or do some minor tailoring or are these a perfect fit off the rack

Comment

• Sorry it only allowed me to post 4 images so here is an album with all pictures of both blazers

Comment

• I know you said disregard wrinkles, but the top photo makes me think something's going on there, given how they bunch up at the armpits. I don't know if the shoulders are too large, or the armholes are too high, or what's going on there. Or it could just be packaging.

Also, the back of the collar could stand to be lowered a bit, but that's true with almost every jacket anyone buys. Or at least, all the ones I've ever tried on, and it's not a major deal.

It looks good through the body and waist, and you already mentioned the sleeves.

Almost all the same things apply to the second one, though it looks to me like the shoulders are too big for you in that. But the rest of the torso looks good, again.

Comment

• Originally posted by xKMAN83x View Post
                        Hey guys I'm new here first time poster, been lurking for awhile and discovering that maybe none of my clothes up until recently fit me as well as they should. I did a major wardrobe overhaul as I just turned 30 and figured its time to start dressing the way I should be. Some basic background info im about 5'8 150lb slim build, I picked up a few blazers from Express the first is a Black Cotton Sateen Notch Lapel Blazer, second is a Herringbone Military Jacket with shoulder epaulettes, I picked these up for a very good deal about 50-60$ each regularly $200 a piece. The Black is a 38R and the Herringbone is a size Small, these are both off the rack fit ( disregard any wrinkles due to them being shipped in the mail) wondering what you guys think. I feel they both fit relatively well aside from the sleeves being a bit long, any thoughts? Do I need to size up/down or do some minor tailoring or are these a perfect fit off the rack

I think the shoulders may be too big on both blazers, hence the sleeves bunching up. Well fitted shoulders should leave your sleeves smooth and flat as your arms rest at your sides.

Also, only button the top button on your blazer.

Comment

• Welcome!!

I think it's great that you're trying to improve how you dress - it's an important decision and one that I think will pay off in several facets of your life. Please don't take this the wrong way or discourage you from posting more here but you're better off returning the blazer. Just because items are marked off retail doesn't make them good purchases. That being said, from the front the Express black blazer actually fits decently and is an appropriate length - but the bunching in the back suggests there's something weird going on with the fit. You want it to look a lot smoother back there. Several people on the Threads have really liked this jacket from LE: http://www.landsend.com/products/men...azer/id_248730 though I think it may be too big for you based on the sizes they have left.

Here's why you should return: Black is not versatile and looks bad in the daytime. Can't see your album so I can't assess the military jacket.

Comment

• I agree with dackman. I would try sizing down. Seems like those jackets fit your waist well though. You might need to have them let out if you size down or maybe try a different cut or brand. Shoulders and jecket length are key. Everything else can most likely be altered by a tailor.

Comment

• Can you get an XS from Express? A tailor might be able to do something to bring the shoulders in, but not much, and the shoulders are the hardest thing to fix. From the front they don't actually look bad, but you've got the bunching in the back.

If you can though, you might want to try a 36 in the black blazer, like others have said. Don't feel like you have to return it just because of the color though. Black suits and jackets get a lot of grief because they're not as versatile, but I think people don't give them enough credit, and it's all about what you want to wear with it.

Comment

• The wrinkles in the back are definately from the packaging and being folded up when being shipped, you still feel aside from that they are both too big ? There is a slim to none chance of changing sizes in the herringbone jacket so if anything maybe some tailoring if needed if I decide to keep it, I know the sleeves definately need to be shortened and the black one I could try a 38s or do you think I should really try going down to a 36R, I really thought they both fit well aside from the length of the sleeves but again you guys are the experts I just think the wrinkles may be making it look bigger then it actually is on me

Comment

Working...
                                X