Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

shoulders do look wide from the back, and the front to be honest.

Comment

@tomservo Appreciate the feedback, I think the back does seem a bit wide looking at it now to me too

@Nick yeah I ordered a 40R I see what you mean about the sleeves bunching up, it could possibly be due to the wrinkles it came with from the packaging, b/c in the one straight shot my one arm is straight while the other looks a little rumpled...and I agree on the pants I definitely need to get those hemmed

@Jason Thanks for the feedback, I'm not sure about the shoulder issue, I tried the "shoulder-wall test" and they didn't feel like they poked out before my actual shoulder hit the wall but looking at the back picture it seems like they are a little wide (doesn't help that the arms were really wrinkled either)...but from the front it doesn't seem to look that off...I'm hesitant to try any smaller though b/c I have longer arms and don't want the suit to appear too short

Do you guys know if having the back taken in (if that's the correct term) is a typical alteration to get done?

Comment

Is there a 38L? Or get a 38R and get the sleeves lengthened. You want it to be right!

Comment

I wouldn't try it with needing that much brought in. If it were only 1/2" I'd say it's doable. The wrinkling you're seeing on the sleeves is indicative of a shoulder problem. If the sleeves get too short with a 38 you could try a 38L, but it's possible that their cuts just don't work for your build.

Comment

@Tat, Nick, JC yeah I see what you guys mean as far as the excess wrinkling due to the shoulder...the only thing is, I've gone in stores and tried 38 and 38L's and every time they're way too snug around the chest for me and when I even raise my arm up a few inches the whole lapel tends to bend and billow out....I think I'm kind of just awkwardly in between sizes or something but when I measured my chest a while it was ~39.5-40 so I'm not sure haha

Comment

Some cuts just have very wide shoulders for the chest measurement. I know some people who are built like that with overly wide shoulders, but every cut is going to fit a different body shape.

Comment

It's tempting to size up when something is tight in the chest or waist, but those can be let out too. If everything else about a 38R/L works, it might be the ticket.

Comment

@Nick, JC haha see that's my lack of knowledge about suit construction...I didn't think you could take a smaller suit out very much, only you could take a larger fitting one in, I think I may give that a try, thanks for the help guys

Comment

The order of ease of adjustment for a jacket from hardest to easiest:

Shoulders: almost impossible to do more than tweak +/- .5" with the center seam and this can mess up the collar and lapel

Length: It's a lot of work but they can do it if the pockets don't extend down too far or look too out of place, depending on available material

Chest: They can let it out or take it in a little at the back center seam, +/- 1" with the other seams depending on construction, seam allowances, etc.

Waist: Not too hard to bring in several inches, but too much can make it look odd (you can also get away with just moving the buttons for small tweaks)

Sleeves: Very easy to lengthen or shorten if there's enough material.... As long as they're not functional cuffs. If the cuffs are functional they have to take the sleeves off at the shoulders and re-attach, and that's a lot of work

Comment

Hey guys, is this blazer too short? Its a 38S- I'm 5'8". It covers about half of my butt.. Ive heard conflicting stories about whether or not a blazer should cover the rear end or not. I can always exchange it for a R if need be. Banana republic cotton sateen blazer.

Comment

If you adjust your codpiece a little more to the right, you might find yourself able to pull up your pants a bit higher to where they should be.

Comment

^I know it looks odd, but I assure you my pants are as high as they will comfortably go.

Comment

In all seriousness, it looks a bit short.

Comment

@ Steve, the jacket is certainly cut too short, from pocket to hem is not proportioned to the top half of your torso. It also looks a little too big for you in the chest oddly, and the arms too long...Try sizing down in a regular or athlethic fit IMO

"The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                              I>0<I

Comment

Does this blazer fit? It seems like it's a bit wide in the shoulders but it feels about right everywhere else. Obviously the sleeves need to be shortened up a bit. In the profile shot, the reason it's bunched out over my butt is because the vent is still stitched closed. Don't want to cut it yet as I may take it back. Thanks!

Comment

Working...
                                X