Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow. I guess I just can't judge these things from the photo then. Sorry.

Comment

I have never owned a peacoat in my life, but I like a style something like this:

and this:

I decided to try one out from the uniform shop. The material is quite nice: 100% wool. The color is navy, but its looks black. I got a 36R (I usually wear a 38S in suits, but I want a slim coat). I need a fit check on the shoulders. Is it supposed to have any extra room in the shoulders? Does anyone wear this over a suit?

I know the sleeves are a touch too long. I like the length of the coat. Would appreciate some opinions on the chest and shoulders. Let me know if you need better pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
        I think Duvel was being sarcastic.
        I wasn't. But then again I'm no expert on the suit and the blazer like the rest of you fools.

Comment

LCDR, take this with a grain of salt, because I've been dissed lately as lacking expertise in the realm of fit. But...

...from what I can tell from your pix, it looks much too big. A pea coat should be rather trim fitting. And no, sorry, at least in my humble opinion, it is not meant to be worn as an overcoat over a suit. That's not its heritage, certainly, and that's not what the fit of most better pea coats allow for.

With some outerwear, you can have some leeway in things like the shoulders. That's especially true with outerwear where there's no shoulder seam, e.g., a raglan sleeve. This has seams, and you clearly can see that the seams go well past your shoulders. That makes it obvious that it is too big.

There are pea coat-like topcoats that allow for wearing over a suit, but a regular pea coat is meant to be worn with much more casual attire.

So... too big. And no, don't wear over a suit.

If you want a true pea coat, buy something that hits where it should at the shoulders (much like a suit coat or blazer), that is fairly trim (not boxy), and that just barely covers your ass.

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
          I have never owned a peacoat in my life, but I like a style something like this:

and this:

I decided to try one out from the uniform shop. The material is quite nice: 100% wool. The color is navy, but its looks black. I got a 36R (I usually wear a 38S in suits, but I want a slim coat). I need a fit check on the shoulders. Is it supposed to have any extra room in the shoulders? Does anyone wear this over a suit?

I know the sleeves are a touch too long. I like the length of the coat. Would appreciate some opinions on the chest and shoulders. Let me know if you need better pictures.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
            I wasn't. But then again I'm no expert on the suit and the blazer like the rest of you fools.
            Nor am I, as I also like to post pics of myself in here. I apologize if I came across rude earlier.

Comment

It's impossible for me to tell with those pictures, sorry. But in general, no, I don't think you should have excess room in the shoulders. Like Duvel said, it should fit similar to a suit jacket or blazer in the shoulders and chest. With enough space for layering, since you'll presumably wear it when it's cold, but not beyond that, and not enough for a suit jacket. It isn't a coat intended for that level of formality. And getting it in a trim fit is strongly recommended. It'll give you a much better shape and look far better. In terms of length, I'm not entirely certain. But I like how Sherlock Holmes and whoever the other guy is are wearing theirs.

Comment

Holmes in the BBC show doesn't wear a pea coat. He wears a top coat. The other guy, Watson? All I've seen him in so far is some kind of hunting jacket.

Comment

The picture I posted was Jonny Lee Miller who plays Sherlock in the CBS show Elementary. He wears a cotton pea coat.
                  Benedict Cumberbath plays Sherlock in the BBC show. He wears a double breasted overcoat from Belstaff but that model is sold out and it was mucho expensive.
                  Th other picture was Justin Timberlake (the singer). He started off dressing awful but now he has a nice style.

Comment

New here although I've lurked for awhile. Have dropped a good bit of weight so trying to trim the silhouette a bit. Found this 3 roll 2 second hand. I can't pull off the narrow waisted look, but does the fit on this look anywhere close to right? I'm a 42-44R usually. Trying to move out of the sack blazer look.

Comment

Hard to tell from the pix. Lose the t-shirt though.

Comment

I've always been a bit unsure about how my Baracuta fits. I've seen guys wear them a bit slmmer and shorter. How do you think this looks?

I bought a 44 because my chest measures 44, even though I actually wear a 42 in suits and blazers. In this size, it does fall below my beltline; I've read that it should hit at or above the beltline. It's a bit pouchy in front a bit baggy in back, although the waistline when zipped fits snugly (no gapping). It's comfortable, but as I say, I think the fit is "loose" compared to the fit I see a lot these days.

Comment

It doesn't look bad, not overly big and baggy, but it's definitely a looser than it could be.

Comment

Thanks. You're right, that it is looser than it could be. That is what has me a little "concerned," although that's putting it strongly. But as long as it doesn't look bad, I guess I'm okay with it. I'll just remember to get my next one smaller. I'm after a green or tan.

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                              I've always been a bit unsure about how my Baracuta fits. I've seen guys wear them a bit slmmer and shorter. How do you think this looks?

I bought a 44 because my chest measures 44, even though I actually wear a 42 in suits and blazers. In this size, it does fall below my beltline; I've read that it should hit at or above the beltline. It's a bit pouchy in front a bit baggy in back, although the waistline when zipped fits snugly (no gapping). It's comfortable, but as I say, I think the fit is "loose" compared to the fit I see a lot these days.
                              I think it looks great.

Comment

Originally posted by zxu426 View Post
                                I think it looks great.
                                Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                                X