This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

I wouldn't close it if you're that tall. It just looks funny. What kind of blazer are you looking for? I've had a lot of success with banana republics length, jcrew, etc. the fast fashion places are generally cut much shorter. Ie - h&m, Zara, uniqlo, even a place like club Monaco which runs much trendier

Comment

Well my office is purely business casual, so i have no need for anything formal. I'm mainly going for something that has some character but still classy at the same time...the h&m and Zara varieties are way too short....banana republic I tried on the "sateen blazer" but the material was offputting...i'm intending to wear solely with jeans, alpha khakis, and cords (burgundy).

http://i43.tinypic.com/2gvrpc4.jpg , this one is the jc penney stafford for $35 lol, if i stand straight the t shirt is not visible, but it does highlight my lanky legs...I'm holding the back in because i'm gonna need to get it tailored, but I can still return it b/c it still has the tags.

Comment

I would try to score a ludlow on ebay or sale, or try out some different brands. I've had success with lands end otr

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
          I would try to score a ludlow on ebay or sale, or try out some different brands. I've had success with lands end otr
          yeah I couldn't imagine wearing this one without closing it, I'll take a look at lands end.

Comment

Hey, guys.

I just received a J.Crew Factory Thompson suit jacket in worsted wool in the mail today. Surprisingly, this wool jacket in 38R fits a bit differently than my JCF chino jacket in 38R. The chest area and shoulders feels about the same with both, but the wool jacket is bordering on snug around my waist. I'm wondering what I should do about this. My first reaction was to exchange it out for a 40R, but I think that would be way too roomy in my chest. In that case, is it possible to have the waist taken out a bit? Or, since I can still return the suit, should I just cut and run while I'm still ahead? I really want this to work because its a very affordable and smart looking suit.
            Last edited by sojo2600; January 21, 2014, 01:59 AM.

Comment

Post a picture of you in the suit. I have never owned their suits not sure how much extra material they have.

Comment

I contacted J.Crew and they responded that there's an extra 3/4" on each side, so I should be fine if I want to let it out. Here's some photos of the jacket and some photos of the chino jacket for comparison:

Worsted Wool Front:
                Worsted Wool Side:

Chino Front:
                Chino Side:

Originally posted by Brent k View Post
                Post a picture of you in the suit. I have never owned their suits not sure how much extra material they have.

Comment

Originally posted by sojo2600 View Post
                  I contacted J.Crew and they responded that there's an extra 3/4" on each side, so I should be fine if I want to let it out. Here's some photos of the jacket and some photos of the chino jacket for comparison:

Worsted Wool Front:
                  Worsted Wool Side:

Chino Front:
                  Chino Side:
                  First off, those sleeves are quite long on you and will defiantly need tailoring. Actually I would like to say you'd be better off with a 38s in that aspect since a decent amount would need to be reduced. The fit around the chest and waist look to be fine. I would personally prefer to see the waist taken in to give a less boxy silhouette. My frame of reference for jacket fit is that I should have 'at most' a fist amount of spacing. If it were to have a X across the front then I would let it out a tad.

Comment

Originally posted by sojo2600 View Post
                    Hey, guys.

I just received a J.Crew Factory Thompson suit jacket in worsted wool in the mail today. Surprisingly, this wool jacket in 38R fits a bit differently than my JCF chino jacket in 38R. The chest area and shoulders feels about the same with both, but the wool jacket is bordering on snug around my waist. I'm wondering what I should do about this. My first reaction was to exchange it out for a 40R, but I think that would be way too roomy in my chest. In that case, is it possible to have the waist taken out a bit? Or, since I can still return the suit, should I just cut and run while I'm still ahead? I really want this to work because its a very affordable and smart looking suit.
                    Can you go to a 36R? This is too big.

Comment

Yeah, the sleeves I already knew about it, they will need to be adjusted on both jackets. They didn't have a 38S available when I bought this, but I now see it is available so I'll send this back.

Originally posted by Jano4 View Post
                      First off, those sleeves are quite long on you and will defiantly need tailoring. Actually I would like to say you'd be better off with a 38s in that aspect since a decent amount would need to be reduced. The fit around the chest and waist look to be fine. I would personally prefer to see the waist taken in to give a less boxy silhouette. My frame of reference for jacket fit is that I should have 'at most' a fist amount of spacing. If it were to have a X across the front then I would let it out a tad.

Comment

Too big in what way? My chest measures out to almost exactly 38" and I thought the shoulders were ok. The only big part I noticed was the sleeves.

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
                        Can you go to a 36R? This is too big.

Comment

Looks too big in the shoulders and the middle, to me. Check this: http://dappered.com/2014/01/5-clothi...w-illustrated/

My chest measures 44 but I have to go to a 42 in almost everything, whether J. Crew or otherwise. In some cases, I can almost go to a 40. I've found that if you go with your true chest measurement, with almost any manufacturer, that you'll end up with something too big.

If your chest measures 38, I'm guessing you actually look best in a 36.

In my experience, and from what I've heard from a few others, if you go a size down from your chest measurement in J. Crew, you need very little tailoring with a Ludlow jacket. A 42 hits me almost like the picture in Joe's post (linked above). I still took up my sleeves about 1/4 inch but I didn't have to--just did it because I like shorter sleeves on blazers and suit jackets. But otherwise fit was spot on.
                          Last edited by Duvel; January 21, 2014, 09:15 PM.

Comment

Too long at sleeve and jacket, which means you should be a short size -- typically it'll shorten each by 1". Your arms cover the suit at your hips so I can't judge fit, plus the X's are still stitched onto the vent, so who knows how it would sit were those cut. If it has extra room in the waist and chest, I'd go a size down, perhaps keeping it at a regular length.

I'll second Duvel's statement about chest measurements. I'm a 36" with tailor's tape but order 34S. I'm a 32R in SuitSupply's Napoli.

Comment

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. I just called the nearest J.Crew Factory outlet store and they have a 36S that they're holding for me. I'll give it a try and then I'll know for sure. I'm a bit skeptical about it since the 38 felt a bit snug around the waist, but its worth a shot. If it doesn't work, then I'll go ahead and exchange for the 38S, so it's a win-win situation.

Comment

I've noticed the chest measurement thing about other things as well. It's why a few years back I was buying almost everything too big. Mfr's size charts all say that with my 44 chest I'm a large. Their larges, in everything from t-shirts and button-up shirts to sweaters and jackets, all fit me like sacks. As soon as I sized down to a medium, which their size charts gave as 40-42, everything started fitting much better. So go figure. I don't know why they make the sizing charts misleading. Then again I'm fitter and slimmer than most guys my age, so maybe they're counting on an obesity factor.

Comment

Working...
                                X