This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by anonsurfer View Post
    farhad: It looks good but as you already know it is a little too short. I understand why you prefer it though, I have similar concerns and prefer slightly shorter jackets.
    Thanks for your input, anonsurfer. I've tried longer jackets but they just look off on me.

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
    It looks good but I'll never like that look in general.
    Thanks for your comment, duvel. What in particular don't you like about it?

Originally posted by Binarythird View Post
    I like the short look for blazers...but yeah it' s a bit too short for even me.
    Thanks man! How's the fit on shoulders? How about the length of sleeves?

Originally posted by pull View Post
    what's CM? it looks like it fits pretty well and I don't mind the shortness on this one for you.
    Thanks! I meant Club Monaco.
    Here's the link:
    http://www.clubmonaco.com/product/in...uctId=23423296

Comment

I agree with those who feel that jacket is very short in terms of body length. Otherwise the fit seems solid.
      Ben

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
        I agree with those who feel that jacket is very short in terms of body length. Otherwise the fit seems solid.
        Appreciate the comment, Ben.
        I would not mind if the jacket was half an inch longer as that would be the ideal length. I know the "rule" for length of jackets/blazers but every time I try a jacket that, based on the rule, has the right length, somehow it does not look right. It looks out of proportion to my physique. For this reason, I lean toward shorter jackets.

Comment

farhad, I recommend that you make a decision based on your own sense of style. If you prefer jackets of that length then don't let anyone discourage you. That being said, a jacket that short makes your legs appear to be disproportionately long and your upper body to be diminutive. It's a very feminine look. Again, don't let us discourage you if that's your style. Style is subjective. Stick to your guns.

Comment

Aren't shorter blazers a good look for casual blazers?

Comment

far, the short look just doesn't appeal to me. To me it tends to look trendy and, in almost all things, I go for a fit and a look that is a bit more classic. It also sort of reminds me of new wave fashion, late 70s.

Comment

I own a few shorter blazers, and although the proportions seem off when it's closed, I like to layer it over a sweater open. It works sometimes, especially on shorter guys.

Comment

Farhad's discussion has made me a bit self conscious about the length of my blazer as well. Mine is more casual, but I have very skinny, long legs and I don't want to look like a feminine stick figure lol. I'm leaning towards keeping the Stafford cotton Blazer, but it has to be snipped in the back - I want to make sure it's not too short before I drop more dough on the tailor, the thing only cost $35. Here are some better full-body pics, any opinions would be welcome. I'd especially like the opinions of some of the fans of classic style. (I'm holding it in the back so it doesn't flare out):

http://i44.tinypic.com/2uf9hth.jpg

http://i43.tinypic.com/2gvrpc4.jpg

http://i41.tinypic.com/hvz7z4.jpg

http://i40.tinypic.com/2luunx0.jpg

and please excuse the mess hehe. I know it's definitely short, but I plan on wearing it mostly with cords and jeans and alpha khakis, that sort of thing.

Comment

Binary, I prefer the classic look: something in the middle-of-the-road that doesn't quickly go out of style. Like something from the '50s or '60s. That being said, I think the length of the jacket should extend down to the buttocks crease, and it should not expose the "triangle of shirt" above the trouser.
                    Anything otherwise should only be used in casual settings.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                      farhad, I recommend that you make a decision based on your own sense of style. If you prefer jackets of that length then don't let anyone discourage you. That being said, a jacket that short makes your legs appear to be disproportionately long and your upper body to be diminutive. It's a very feminine look. Again, don't let us discourage you if that's your style. Style is subjective. Stick to your guns.
                      Bruschetta, I really appreciate your comment and agree with you completely.
                      After a couple of years of reading/thinking about personal style, I think I have gained a fairly good understanding about what works for me.
                      I already knew that the jacket's length would seem too short for people who lean toward a more "classic" style. That is why I wrote about my preference for short jackets in my first post, so people know that I am aware of this. I was hoping to get feedback on other things like the fit on shoulders or whether or not it should be taken in at the waist.

I am 5'7" and I am fit but on the thin side. I have tried longer jackets (ones that cover my back completely) but they make me look shorter.

And, not everyone is the same. If you are 6'1" 220lbs and you wear a suit with 2" lapels, the suit will most likely look ridiculous on you. But if you are 5'6" 110lbs, it may actually look good on you. What I am trying to say is that rules do not work always work for everyone because every person's body is different.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                        Binary, I prefer the classic look: something in the middle-of-the-road that doesn't quickly go out of style. Like something from the '50s or '60s. That being said, I think the length of the jacket should extend down to the buttocks crease, and it should not expose the "triangle of shirt" above the trouser.
                        Anything otherwise should only be used in casual settings.
                        Thanks for the opinion, really appreciate it. I think the shirt was showing so much due to the way I was holding the back in...here it is with both shoulders square:

http://i44.tinypic.com/20kwra9.jpg

Anyways, yes I do only intend to use it as a casual jacket, a "beater" if you will...I just don't want to look like I'm trending' it up lol....I live in LA so i see enough of that.

Comment

Originally posted by farhad View Post
                          Bruschetta, I really appreciate your comment and agree with you completely.
                          After a couple of years of reading/thinking about personal style, I think I have gained a fairly good understanding about what works for me.
                          I already knew that the jacket's length would seem too short for people who lean toward a more "classic" style. That is why I wrote about my preference for short jackets in my first post, so people know that I am aware of this. I was hoping to get feedback on other things like the fit on shoulders or whether or not it should be taken in at the waist.

I am 5'7" and I am fit but on the thin side. I have tried longer jackets (ones that cover my back completely) but they make me look shorter.

And, not everyone is the same. If you are 6'1" 220lbs and you wear a suit with 2" lapels, the suit will most likely look ridiculous on you. But if you are 5'6" 110lbs, it may actually look good on you. What I am trying to say is that rules do not work always work for everyone because every person's body is different.
                          Aside from the length, I think it looks great...i wish i could find stuff OTR that looked that good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                            I own a few shorter blazers, and although the proportions seem off when it's closed, I like to layer it over a sweater open. It works sometimes, especially on shorter guys.
                            Would you say that most guys who dress fairly well (or guys here) prefer their casual blazers to be a bit shorter? My jacket does cover my rear, but barely...and it definitely fails the "hand curling" test by an inch or two.

Comment

Official "How Does This Fit?" Thread

Originally posted by Binarythird View Post
                              Would you say that most guys who dress fairly well (or guys here) prefer their casual blazers to be a bit shorter? My jacket does cover my rear, but barely...and it definitely fails the "hand curling" test by an inch or two.
                              I'm 6"0, and while when closed my shorter jackets (most often impulse buys, or mistakes, as I like to call them) make me look really out of proportion, when I leave them open it's no different to me then an open cardigan or something similar. Not ideal for a blazer, and someone will no doubt pipe up about getting a V shape, etc, but I like the pockets, the color, the warmth, and the look. Take what you will. The jackets often serve as a coat for me, in the winter, and my uniqlo linen blazers, (short) are extra pockets and whatnot

Comment

Originally posted by Jake101 View Post
                                I'm 6"0, and while when closed my shorter jackets (most often impulse buys, or mistakes, as I like to call them) make me look really out of proportion, when I leave them open it's no different to me then an open cardigan or something similar. Not ideal for a blazer, and someone will no doubt pipe up about getting a V shape, etc, but I like the pockets, the color, the warmth, and the look. Take what you will. The jackets often serve as a coat for me, in the winter, and my uniqlo linen blazers, (short) are extra pockets and whatnot
                                yeah I really like the feel and look of this one, I just don't want to be looking ridiculous with my long, lanky legs. I"m also 6'0 and it's seeming harder and harder to find an affordable casual blazer that is long enough...even the highly touted bonobos chino blazers are cut extremely short when you look at the models. Pretty much all of uniqlo's jackets are cut short as well.

Comment

Working...
                                X