Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That is how I like my chunky cardigans to fit. Looks great to me.

Comment

*If* one has a wool chunky cardigan like that and wants to make it fit a bit closer, is washing in warm water an option? Or is that just a bad idea?

Comment

The cardigan looks really nice. I'd probably got a bit trimmer for the fit though, but it depends on what you want.

Comment

I'd go for a slightly trimmer fit, but it's not bad.

Comment

I finally tried out a Bonobos pair of pants. I have been looking for casual khakis with a slim but not skinny fit. My last attempt did not go too well: http://threads.dappered.com/showthre...chases/page257 Other attempts were JCrew, GAP, and Alpha Dockers - fail.

I got these Thursday Khakis Slim Straight 31-30 from Bonobos, along with a pocket square, for $80 total, using a $50 off referral code. The color looks good, but it is a little less casual than I expected, and it is lighter weight material. I would say spring/ fall weight. How is the fit?

I'm wearing this with my JCrew blue OCBD and JCF tan belt.

The waist is just slightly loose, but I am slightly underweight right now compared to usual. The length is a little long. I am more interested in the silhouette: Is it still too baggy in the lower legs? The thighs are improved compared to Brooks Brothers. I only want to maintain one khaki chino. Should I keep this as my go-to casual chino?

Comment

Thanks all for the feedback. I think I'll see if they have a Small (this is Medium and all they had available at time) and hope for the best. Like I said, I felt it was just a touch too big and most echoed that-it's close but a S might be better. If they don't I may have to continue the search unless 850csi is correct. Some folks have mentioned that sweaters washed and even air dried will shrink up - never had the experience but true? or no?

Now, I'll try to contribute - LCDR, I think the fit on those is still not really working for you. I tend to like a trimmer fit, so ymmv, but it looks like there is bunching around your waist where belted and also down the seam (ie in your butt crack) in the back picture and that's never flattering. There's also a lot of wrinkling everywhere around which may be due to shipping, but it looks to me it has more to do with that it's just not that well fitting. I know you say you don't want a skinny fit so maybe it's ok for you, but it also kind of looks like these just don't fit, as in not the style but the sizing, or a mix of both.

Comment

Originally posted by pull View Post
                Now, I'll try to contribute - LCDR, I think the fit on those is still not really working for you. I tend to like a trimmer fit, so ymmv, but it looks like there is bunching around your waist where belted and also down the seam (ie in your butt crack) in the back picture and that's never flattering. There's also a lot of wrinkling everywhere around which may be due to shipping, but it looks to me it has more to do with that it's just not that well fitting. I know you say you don't want a skinny fit so maybe it's ok for you, but it also kind of looks like these just don't fit, as in not the style but the sizing, or a mix of both.
                Spot! The pants are about a size or maybe even two larger than you would want. There is far too much bunching on the waist, and you can tell by the way that the pants drop from your waist to your knee (silhouette) that they are too large. Also, the taper that should go from the knee to the hem is way off, you may not need to return these or exchange for a size down. Are these high rise or low rise?

May I comment on your shirt (as it may be aiding in the fit issues you are experiencing). It is very billowy; too much material in the arms and in the back. I would suggest getting a shirt that is cut with a trimmer silhouette. Then try on the pants and you will see a noticeable difference in fit. Insert your measurements so we know what your shape is to allow the fellas to visualize your proportions. Saying " am slightly underweight right now compared to usual" doesn't really help.
                "The key to Success is the Quality of Execution"
                I>0<I

Comment

I see what you guys are saying about the wrinkling in the pants and the billowing of the shirt. Looking at pictures is really much better than looking in the mirror.

The waist is loose right now, but I tend to gain then lose about an inch of waistline throughout the year. I know I should just workout to keep a small waistline. Right now I am 31 inch waist, 67.5 inches tall, 127 lbs, 36 inch chest. I wear 15 inch neck, 32 inch sleeves in dress shirts. (The shirt in the picture is a medium slim fit)

Some of the wrinkling is due to the pants length. The 30 inch inseam was the shortest they had in stock.

Option A: Maybe shortening the pants will make it look better? But then I can't return it.

Option B: Exchange this for a size 30-30, then tailor the length down.

Options C: try a different brand.

I am just worried it might not be possible to get the perfect fit, and maybe I should just settle for the next best. Most skinny fit pants (GAP, JCrew) have tight calves, and that is just not dressing appropriate for my age (40). Thats why I am cautious about the skinny/hipster fit.

Comment

Have you taken a photo with the pants cuffed an inch or two? It might at least show you how the legs would look were they hemmed.

Comment

LCDR - Have you tried the J. Crew Broken-In-Chino in Classic Fit? They're only available online, but they fit pretty much like a standard straight leg, maybe a little slimmer in the thigh and seat. I have a couple pairs of the sun-faded version and can't recommend them enough.

Comment

here dom, maybe a little better?

dack, I tried those a couple years ago. were too baggy on my skinny legs.

Comment

I think that looks better in the legs, but in the seat and waist, I think they are still just too big.

Comment

LCDR, I have two pairs of those Bonobos weekday khakis. I regret buying them. The non-iron fabric is the most wrinkle-prone fabric that I've ever seen. Also, the fabric is exceptionally thin. The thinness of the cotton means that the fabric in the legs sticks together and drapes poorly.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                              pull, the cardigan looks too big to me. I would want it to fit closer to the body. That being said, I like the style of that cardigan.
                              I like the cardigan and it can definitely be worn that way - a more casual, chunky sweater, but keep in mind that depending on what its made of, it will likely stretch out a bit. So if its questionably big now (and you seem to be doubting the fit), its not likely to become more fitted anytime soon.

Comment

Originally posted by Domino View Post
                                I think that looks better in the legs, but in the seat and waist, I think they are still just too big.
                                +1 Definitely too roomy in the seat and waist. I understand the weight gain/loss, but chinos will typically stretch a little bit with wear, so even sizing down one should not make them too tight (with a little weight gain) but should improve the fit in the seat.

Comment

Working...
                                X