Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks guys. Maybe I thought it was long because it looked a little weird on when I originally put it on with sweatpants and a t-shirt. I had been putting away christmas decorations all afternoon when it came. I really like it. Not sure if it would even be worth altering at this point. Will probably wear it for NYE tomorrow.

Comment

Jonathon & zcm: Both looks, although different for sure in jacket length, look just fine, IMO.

Jonathon, it's tougher to tell without a full length pic for better height reference, but since you'll be wearing it as a suit, the matching pants *should* minimize the "cropped" look of the jacket some, providing a continuous color way from top to bottom. The rest of the fit looks really good to me. If you feel comfortable in it, I say go for it. That said, if it's something that you're going to be thinking about whenever you do wear it, maybe try to find a regular. When is the first time you plan to wear it?

Zcm, in your case with your height, a more cropped jacket would probably not work as well. The blazer you have there looks like a great OTR fit to me. I would likely never touch the tailoring on it, if it were me. Looks great as is. Have a Dapperedly NYE, bud... "and your little dog, too!"

Comment

Originally posted by yoyorobbo View Post
        Jonathon & zcm: Both looks, although different for sure in jacket length, look just fine, IMO.

Jonathon, it's tougher to tell without a full length pic for better height reference, but since you'll be wearing it as a suit, the matching pants *should* minimize the "cropped" look of the jacket some, providing a continuous color way from top to bottom. The rest of the fit looks really good to me. If you feel comfortable in it, I say go for it. That said, if it's something that you're going to be thinking about whenever you do wear it, maybe try to find a regular. When is the first time you plan to wear it?

Zcm, in your case with your height, a more cropped jacket would probably not work as well. The blazer you have there looks like a great OTR fit to me. I would likely never touch the tailoring on it, if it were me. Looks great as is. Have a Dapperedly NYE, bud... "and your little dog, too!"
        Thanks for the feedback. I wont be thinking about the length at all, the shoulder bothers me most but I can get over it. Im a unpaid intern and don't have $500 to drop on a Suit Supply, etc. I need it for a wedding on January 19th. I will be leaving on the 1st for Michigan until the 11th and then leave the 15th to LA for the wedding. I am going to take it to a tailor here in Nor Cal tomorrow and then pick it up on the 11th and will have a few days to correct any issues if needed.

Comment

Trying to decide whether or not to pick this thrifted coat up or not, so would appreciate input.

The quality's good -- 85% wool, 15% nylon, acetate lined, great construction and pretty heavy. Fits closely over a suit and a loop in the belt at the rear gives the waist a visible suppression.

It's the style I'm debating about. My area's winter is rarely below freezing, but it's a temperate rainforest so we get a LOT of rain; an umbrella leaves me with wet pants just walking from my car to an appointment. However, I'm an exceptionally slender fellow so my 5'10" looks smaller than it is (135 pounds, albeit athletically proportioned with an eight-inch drop). This coat features big lapels and hits around the bottom of my knees -- so does it work with my proportions?

Comment

No. Pass on this, please.

Originally posted by Galcobar View Post
            Trying to decide whether or not to pick this thrifted coat up or not, so would appreciate input.

The quality's good -- 85% wool, 15% nylon, acetate lined, great construction and pretty heavy. Fits closely over a suit and a loop in the belt at the rear gives the waist a visible suppression.

It's the style I'm debating about. My area's winter is rarely below freezing, but it's a temperate rainforest so we get a LOT of rain; an umbrella leaves me with wet pants just walking from my car to an appointment. However, I'm an exceptionally slender fellow so my 5'10" looks smaller than it is (135 pounds, albeit athletically proportioned with an eight-inch drop). This coat features big lapels and hits around the bottom of my knees -- so does it work with my proportions?

Comment

Originally posted by Duvel View Post
              No. Pass on this, please.
              Would you please elaborate as to why? Looking for input to help guide my search.

Given this is almost identical except for length to Joe's pick for best 2013 affordable outerwear ( http://dappered.com/2013/10/best-affordable-outerwear-fallwinter-2013/ ) more information would be appreciated.
              Last edited by Galcobar; January 4, 2014, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Personally, I really like that style of coat. The shoulders look fine, and the length looks fine to me. The fit would look better with some more waist suppression. I would see if it can be tailored to be pulled in at the waist, even though it has a belt.

The color is not ideal. I would prefer a charcoal grey or navy blue.

Comment

Not my taste. Looks quite dated. To each their own though. I think similar coats that hit at the knee look better proportionally, whereas that one looks more like a costume piece to me.

Comment

Gal, as Focus mentions, it does look dated. I think this is mostly because the fit looks long and boxy. The contemporary topcoat is slimmer and shorter. I also don't like the belt and the collars--it makes it look too Army-surplus.

Comment

Recently bought this suit jacket from express (on sale for $114, marked down from $228) but it's only 50% wool. I'd def return it...but I already bought, tailored and wore the matching pants before realizing it was a suit combination.

http://imgur.com/046GnZC

Should I return it? How's the fit (are the shoulders too big?)?

Comment

Originally posted by Scofield View Post
                        Recently bought this suit jacket from express (on sale for $114, marked down from $228) but it's only 50% wool. I'd def return it...but I already bought, tailored and wore the matching pants before realizing it was a suit combination.

http://imgur.com/046GnZC

Should I return it? How's the fit (are the shoulders too big?)?
                        Cannot tell anything from that pic. Except that you wear shorts.

For what you paid, you aren't buying clothing to last a lifetime. No mistake was made on your part, so enjoy your suit!

Comment

Originally posted by zcm View Post
                          Here is the BR blazer I mentioned in my last post. I really like the fit. Not sure on the length though. Is it too long? I am definitely not a cropped blazer guy but maybe I am just not used to jackets being the proper length because I am a little bit taller than most. Size is a 40L. Don't mind my dog. I had just given her a treat and she thought I had more.
                          Length is spot on! Confidently enjoy your find!

Comment

Ok, gents, first time doing this, so be gentle. Unsure on the fit of this cardigan. I like the style, but feel like it may be a little too big. I know cardigans are supposed to be a little bigger, but let me know your thoughts. I do think it is close, but just not sure. Thanks in advance.

seems it may fit like this which isn't bad as far as that goes: https://s3.amazonaws.com/eg-siteasse...10/mcqueen.jpg

Comment

Looks good to me. Like you said, it's a bit bigger, but then, it's a cardigan, you probably don't want it as trim as a pullover would be.

Comment

pull, the cardigan looks too big to me. I would want it to fit closer to the body. That being said, I like the style of that cardigan.

Comment

Working...
                                X