Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

@sippy, frankly it's hard for me to tell from that picture - I was just going with what I saw. A few more pictures (with someone else snapping them) would help. Perhaps someone else can weigh in on it?
    "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

@greg_s, understand all, since I'm leaning towards Suitsupply who is opening a store in my area in a couple weeks so I will return with some better photos from that excursion, hopefully the staff there will also be more helpful with regards to tailoring options, I felt pretty rushed at Nordstroms.

Thanks,
      sippyCUP

Comment

Here's a solution if your J. Crew sweater doesn't fit quite right: http://jcrew.tumblr.com/post/4275997...note-theres-no

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
          Jacket length tends to be more a matter of taste than "correctness." By traditional standards, the jacket is on the short side. A conservative standard would dictate the jacket should end right around the lowest part of your crotch, long enough to completely cover your rear end.

But shorter jackets are obviously very commonplace these days. If you don't mind that the jacket is a little more trendy and a little less traditional, I would say the length is fine. I think it's definitely easier to get away with a cropped-looking jacket when you aren't especially tall to begin with.
          Originally posted by Stylekid View Post
          Jacket is short.I would stick to classic size.
          Originally posted by Duvel View Post
          Oh my goodness, you look like you're wearing your kid brother's jacket. Read up on proper jacket sizing.
          Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
          jacket is fine.
          Originally posted by docka View Post
          The jacket is a bit short, but I see nothing wrong with it as a casual piece.
          Originally posted by greg_s View Post
          @farhad, the responses to you illustrate BenR's point. I am pretty comfortable wearing jackets considered to be on the shorter end of things, however that one does look very short to me.
          Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
          farhad, That jacket is short beyond any acceptable leeway. It also looks very tight in the shoulders.
          Guys,

Thank you all for your input. I decided to exchange it with a 36R. Hopefully that one fits better.

Thanks again.

Comment

Good decision. I thought the shoulders looked ok (as long as it doesn't feel too tight), but the jacket length and sleeves were too short. In my experience, the sleeve length is generally made in proportion to the jacket length. If the sleeves are too short, then the jacket length will usually be too short too.

Comment

Just received my Black Friday/Cyber Monday swag for this year: a J.Crew sportcoat. I've owned a few cheap sportcoats over the years, and finally wanted to invest in a good one. I love the look and feel, but I'm curious about some second, third, and beyond opinions on the fit. I have a wide upper body (shoulders and chest). Usually I have to have the arms tailored a bit, as they run a bit long (which can be seen at the corner of the supplied image). This particular sportcoat is the Ludlow in Herringbone Italian Wool , seen on me in a 42S size. The sizing came from trying on a few different suit jackets (not blazers!) at my local J.Crew store. The employee who helped fit me seemed confident in his sizing estimates, so I waited for the post-Thanksgiving deals to come around to order. The sportcoat arrived today, and after trying it on and wondering if it needs tailoring or a size down, I have come in hopes of some illumination on what I should do next. Is it a return, exchange, or tailor? And if I exchange, am I even allowed to grab the 40S and keep my sale price, or will they require me to pay full price on the exchange (or at least the difference)?

Comment

Too hard to tell from this picture. Please post a picture showing the whole jacket and some of your legs, with both arms resting at the sides.

Also, leave the bottom button unbuttoned.

Comment

Originally posted by LCDR View Post
                  Good decision. I thought the shoulders looked ok (as long as it doesn't feel too tight), but the jacket length and sleeves were too short. In my experience, the sleeve length is generally made in proportion to the jacket length. If the sleeves are too short, then the jacket length will usually be too short too.
                  I agree. I tend to like my jackets a tad shorter than other guys on Dappered but this one was just too short.

Thanks!

Comment

I agree with LCDR. You can't really tell much about the fit based on this photo.

Comment

Originally posted by natenotdrake View Post
                      Just received my Black Friday/Cyber Monday swag for this year: a J.Crew sportcoat. I've owned a few cheap sportcoats over the years, and finally wanted to invest in a good one. I love the look and feel, but I'm curious about some second, third, and beyond opinions on the fit. I have a wide upper body (shoulders and chest). Usually I have to have the arms tailored a bit, as they run a bit long (which can be seen at the corner of the supplied image). This particular sportcoat is the Ludlow in Herringbone Italian Wool , seen on me in a 42S size. The sizing came from trying on a few different suit jackets (not blazers!) at my local J.Crew store. The employee who helped fit me seemed confident in his sizing estimates, so I waited for the post-Thanksgiving deals to come around to order. The sportcoat arrived today, and after trying it on and wondering if it needs tailoring or a size down, I have come in hopes of some illumination on what I should do next. Is it a return, exchange, or tailor? And if I exchange, am I even allowed to grab the 40S and keep my sale price, or will they require me to pay full price on the exchange (or at least the difference)?
                      This is just one person's opinion, and I'm really sorry, but I don't like the fit on you at all Unbuttoning the bottom button (it should never be buttoned) will help with the silhouette. I think the shoulders are too big on this, but I can't tell - can you take a picture in better light tomorrow or have someone take it for you so it's head on (i think the proportions may be off due to the angle)? You absolutely are allowed to exchange for a different size. With a wide upper body I think wider lapels would suit you really well. The Ludlow's are quite slim and not ideal for many body types. In this case they accentuate the width of your upper body. Having wider ones (not wildly wide like Suit Supply's San Francisco cut, but something traditional like their Napoli or Washington) would look a lot better on you and balance you out.

Comment

Thanks for the honesty, LosRockets. I'll take some better photos tomorrow and get back to everyone. If the response is mostly bland or negative, I won't hesitate to return and wait for another to come along, from a different maker, if it comes to that. Right now, I don't mind how it looks on me, but I did come here to see if wiser minds would prevail. I started my journey toward being better dressed thanks to the illumination of some friendly folk, and I certainly won't plug my ears and pretend I don't hear good critique about this sportcoat. It also cost way too much to be a "it sorta looks okay" piece in my closet. I need a solid, go-to, wear-it-several-days-a-week jacket.

Comment

Hey guys!

This is my first post, so feel free to explain any rules Ive broken.

Ive recently been trying to upgrade my style, but its been somewhat up a bumpy ride. The link shows my last three attempts and how Ive modified them a bit. Id love any feed back you would have. Also, please forgive my photography skills, or lack thereof.

The red shirt and boot legs were my first attempt. After doing some reading, I think I saw where I was going wrong. I bought some Levi 514's, but I think I should have sized down a bit. Still going in the right direction though.

The grey shirt and mil style jacket would be a normal fall outfit for me, but Id like some feed back. I personally think the jacket doesn't fit well.

Finally, is a picture I took on Monday for a casual business meeting. Thoughts?

Thanks guys.

http://m.imgur.com/DfqYVCw,jS73tih,d...QgAyRC,sqFZsHz

Comment

I like the green jacket outfit. I don't see what is wrong with the fit. Goes well with the gray t-shirt. The jeans could use some tapering in the lower legs.

The business outfit looks good. It's a solid outfit for indoors, but might add a jacket if you are going outside. Are those the same jeans? They look better in that picture.

The red shirt outfit is not appealing for some reason. Maybe looks a little plain/dull, maybe the colors are off, hard to say.

Comment

Agree with LCDR. The red henley, lighter jeans and hoodie doesn't do much for me, but the last two are solid looks. The mil jacket maybe could be a size smaller in the shoulders, but I wouldn't worry about it--especially if you ever want to layer under it you'll appreciate having a little room. Nice Saddleback too! I went with the full size, but that looks great.

EDIT: And welcome to Threads! Glad to have you.

Comment

Hey thanks guys. The red shirt/hoody, was an early misguided attempt which I added to show progress. I agree with everything on there.

Yes, those are the same jeans. Im short with a large chest, so its hard to shop for me, but Im learning quickly. I think cuffing the jeans works much better.

Thanks, Ill keep rocking the jacket as is- and I didnt think about the layering bit either!

I also agree about the jacket for the business outfit. Im shopping for one this weekend. Im leaning towards a peacoat at this point in time.

Again, thanks for the advice.

Comment

Working...
                                X