Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wool peacoat I found at TjMaxx, 85% wool feels very thick and sturdy. How does it fit?

Comment

Looks good to me; what brand is that, Hugo Boss?

Comment

Its actually a brand called GUESS. Never really heard of it before and I can't find this specific item in their online so I am sort of at a loss.

Comment

The Guess brand has been around a very long time, but I didn't know they made pea coats.

There's a "G by Guess" store in my local mall; looks more like club wear than quality clothing.

Comment

JCP Slim fit Charcoal Clairborne suit... dont mind the jeans and dressing room pics. I was focused on the jacket itself. I thought it was okay, it can probably be taken in some and sleeves shortened, I was just concerned if the shoulders are too snug? It's a 44R, I couldnt find a 46 in grey but did find it in black so I posted it for reference. The 44 is somewhat snug but not too snug. I was also wary of the little "roping" or tugging at the shoulders. ( I think thats the name) I may have in the shoulders. (sorry if the pics are bad lol)

Grey 44R :

And black 46R

Comment

Hey guys!

Today I received this wonderful herringbone jacket from Bonobos.
              I really like the tailoring, weight of the wool as well as its partial lining which would allow me to get more wear out of it year-round. As long as the fit goes, as Bonobos mention in their description for the jacket, it's slim but not constraining.
              I'd probably have the sleeves lengthened about half an inch. My concern is the length. I prefer my jacket to be tad short as I'm a guy of modest height (5'7"), but I'm concerned if the jacket looks too chopped. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

p.s: Sorry about the crappy cellphone photos.

Comment

Jacket length tends to be more a matter of taste than "correctness." By traditional standards, the jacket is on the short side. A conservative standard would dictate the jacket should end right around the lowest part of your crotch, long enough to completely cover your rear end.

But shorter jackets are obviously very commonplace these days. If you don't mind that the jacket is a little more trendy and a little less traditional, I would say the length is fine. I think it's definitely easier to get away with a cropped-looking jacket when you aren't especially tall to begin with.
                Ben

Comment

Jacket is short.I would stick to classic size.
                  http://www.simplifiedmen.com

Comment

Oh my goodness, you look like you're wearing your kid brother's jacket. Read up on proper jacket sizing.

Comment

jacket is fine.

Comment

The jacket is a bit short, but I see nothing wrong with it as a casual piece.

Comment

Hey all, looking to take the plunge on some suits. I am tall, skinny, but with 20" shoulders, so figuring out suit fit is work for me. Obviously will be tailoring waist/chest.

Went to a new tailor yesterday and had him measure me. I'm 6'4", 33" upper waist, 35 1/4 arm, 20" shoulder, he said I should be looking for 32-33" in length.

Here's a Zenga that a salesperson put on me at Nordstroms, it's a 42L, measured 19.5" shoulder. Thoughts on the shoulder fit? It didn't feel tight like the 40L did (and looked), but I think technically most 44's are 20 shoulder. However, the salesperson said that the way the 44L's (not pictured) "opening" looked was not proportional.

Comment

@farhad, the responses to you illustrate BenR's point. I am pretty comfortable wearing jackets considered to be on the shorter end of things, however that one does look very short to me.

@SippyCUP, from that picture, the shoulders look nice but I believe the chest looks big
                            "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

greg_s, do you think it's within the ability of a tailor to alter the chest? If so what would he be doing?

Comment

farhad, That jacket is short beyond any acceptable leeway. It also looks very tight in the shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                                X