Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

i appreciate the thoughtful response. i think the most salient point is the shoulders, but i'm willing to live with it. it's a 25 dollar, 100% wool coat - i'm not really looking to throw 250 dollars at a wool/polyester frankenstein to be honest.

i'm going to wear it this week and see how the length feels and how i like the look. then i'll see if i can find a tailor that is comfortable bringing it up to slightly below the knee.

as an aside, i combed through style forum and there are plenty of calf-length and/or wide lapel overcoats on there, that people with far more exacting tastes have spent considerably more money on. i think most contemporary men's style is a bit too trend-focused/groupthink.

if anyone wants to see some crazy bespoke overcoats, you can check this thread http://www.styleforum.net/t/212052/bespoke-overcoat/165

Comment

Unfortunately I think there is a big difference between those guys who live, eat and breathe this stuff, and most other people. Their experience, and their wallet allow them to do some things that the average person would not be able to do. The coats in the thread there are all bespoke, designed specifically for their frames, and all of the fit pics are on seemingly very tall extremely slender people, with a very specific dress under the coat, to match its style.

I think you need to look at how that coat will jive with the rest of your outfit. The comment about it looking like a prop will ring very true if what youre wearing under it doesnt look like its also from the 1940s. Just because something only costs Xdollars, doesnt necessarily mean that you should buy it. Fit still trumps all, and I dont think it fits you. Since you are referring to the SF thread a lot, and saying that it would suit their tastes, and that their taste is much better than ours, I urge you to post the picture in a SF thread, and see what their response to it would be. Why only use other peoples examples, instead of posting your own and seeking the guidance of those whos opinions you value much more than ours?

Comment

of course that's a valid point.

i'm just responding to at least one person in this thread who said that he's never seen anyone say mid-calves for length is okay. i agree that "it doesn't look good ON YOU [me]" is a point, but i think there is a decent amount of "that doesn't look good ever" going on.

so, to that end, i just want to provide sources that run contrary to the "the lapels are wide and nobody has coats that long" logic.

Comment

As always, apologies for the bad lighting/crappy iPhone photo but I'm usually pressed for time when trying things on in stores. Tried on this 42L Madison Fit Navy Twill sport coat at a Brooks Bros. outlet yesterday. It was only $348 but I haven't saved up enough yet so was just trying various sizes and fits on. This felt pretty good, a bit roomy in the chest but the length was perfect. What do you guys think about the shoulders? If anything they're just a tad wide but overall it seemed OK. I tried on a 42R (no 42L in stock) in the Regent fit (which has been recommended to me before on here) and although the shoulders were fine it was a tad too tight around my stomach.

Anyway, what do you guys think? I'm leaning towards purchasing this as my first (and only) navy sport coat so want it to count.

P.S. - I had also just completed a field survey so am wearing a casual soft-collared shirt. Needless to say, I'd wear this with much more substantial dress shirts or higher quality sport shirts.

Comment

Matt, The short answer is that it looks good on you. The length borders on being too long, but it's still in that region of good taste. The shoulders are a bit wide, but not overly so.

Did you try a 41L in the Madison fit?

It might be worth trying a 42L in the Regent fit as the long sizes are cut somewhat differently.

The good news is that if you find a Madison or Regent fit that you like, they're very easy to find at a large discount.

Comment

Not sure you need a Long. Those sleeves can be let out a little and the tail seems fine from what I can tell. At least not cropped or too long. As far as the waist being tight, that can be let out on most sport coats as well.

If I were you, I would try on a 40 and see what that felt like and then go from there.

Also, that seems like a lot of money to drop on your first navy sport coat. At least more than I would spend on my first one. I don't have any terrific examples atm but I am sure you could get something very wearable for around 200 or even less (try JCF, JCP, or HnM) I would feel out my style in a navy sc with a cheaper option and make sure I like it before I drop as much as you are talking about.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                Matt, The short answer is that it looks good on you. The length borders on being too long, but it's still in that region of good taste. The shoulders are a bit wide, but not overly so.

Did you try a 41L in the Madison fit?

It might be worth trying a 42L in the Regent fit as the long sizes are cut somewhat differently.

The good news is that if you find a Madison or Regent fit that you like, they're very easy to find at a large discount.
                Ha, I didn't know they offered a 41L, but will keep an eye out in the future. I was wondering about the 42L Regent having more "room" in the waist, as well. I'll probably hit up another outlet or the store in downtown San Francisco during a sale and when I have the funds so I can try more things on and hopefully make a purchase.

@zcm - Thanks for the thought re: not paying much for my first sport coat but at 40 years old I'm willing to save up some money to buy a decent quality navy jacket that will be my go-to sport coat for a decade or more. I've also been researching this stuff for over a year now so feel like I may as well spend $300-500 (which still isn't a lot for most menswear enthusiasts) for something I really like. With Christmas coming up and my birthday soon after I should be able to apply most of my gift money towards this jacket. But yes, I definitely will avoid paying full retail for anything from BB.
                Last edited by MattRicketts; October 31, 2013, 03:44 PM.

Comment

Just realized that all the jackets in the outlet store I visited were part of BB's "346" line, which is specifically made for their outlets (i.e., cheaper but lower quality than their main line). Oh well, at least I have a better idea of what the Madison Fit is like now.

Comment

Hey Matt did you lose weight? You look very trim!

Comment

Just picked up my first ever pair of levi 513s. Let me know how you think they fit! The boots are Timberland earthkeepers for anyone that is wondering.

Comment

Jacket Shoulder Help Please.

Need advice on the shoulders of these jackets please.

Pictured is the Bar III Slim Fit Suit Jacket Midnight Blue 40R.
                        My problem is that I have a wide upper back and decent sized arms but a tiny waist. An athletic "V" build. I'm thin, not skinny.
                        I'm worried about the shoulders. I cannot go down a size and I am considering going up to a 42R in the Bar III.

The Bar III fits me well, but is VERY VERY snug. I can shake a hand but it is very tight around my arm pits.
                        It feels very constricting. Borderline X at the waist when buttoned.

Bar III 40R

42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Part 2 Jacket Shoulder Help Please

Pictured are the Claiborne Navy Blazer 42R and Claiborne Grey Herringbone Blazer 42R.
                          My problem is that I have a wide upper back and decent sized arms but a tiny waist. An athletic "V" build. I'm thin, not skinny.
                          I'm worried about the shoulders. I cannot go down a size.

The Claiborne jackets are not as snug as the Bar III, but they are loose everywhere except around the arm holes.

Maybe I'm being too crazy about jacket function. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
                          Claiborne Navy 42R

Claiborne Grey Herringbone 42 R

42" Chest 32" Waist 6' Tall 185 lbs.

Comment

Jared, I think that you have a slight humpty dumpty shape going on there, but it's not too bad. I prefer less taper in the butt, but you're pulling it off well.

Comment

Originally posted by bruschetta View Post
                              I prefer less taper in the butt, but you're pulling it off well.
                              What.

Comment

Originally posted by Acousticfoodie View Post
                                Hey Matt did you lose weight? You look very trim!
                                Gee, thanks! I don't think I've lost weight, but if I have it's through malnutrition rather than exercise. Although perhaps the energy I expend caring for my 3-year-old twins is enough of a workout in and of itself! I should also probably give credit to the sport coat, which is one of the primary reasons I'd like to get one!

Comment

Working...
                                X