Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mr. mr., That one, yes. I'm sorry, but the plain black wool, calf-length, giant lapels, and lack of tapering makes it look like a prop. you may be able to get away with wearing it to an outdoor funeral. Otherwise, when would you wear it?

Comment

• 1.) it's gray, the picture makes it look darker.

2.) i asked about the length. almost every site on the internet saying that a mid-calf overcoat is perfectly acceptable. further, as i asked about the length, i'm clearly ok with shortening it up to the knee.

3.) ok, it has big lapels.

4.) again, it can be tapered - if i wanted it to be tapered.

so, to recap:

i asked about whether the length of a coat was okay, and you responded by: insulting the coat (getting the color wrong in the process), and making a smart remark instead of adding a very simple constructive criticism. if articulating a simple constructive criticism is difficult for you, i will provide a sample: "you may want to shorten the length of the coat, and also see if the tailor can taper it some. as is, it's a bit outdated, and shortening and tapering it would make it more modern."

speaking of good looks - the snarky, snobby guy on a fashion messageboard that wants to demonstrate how superior his fashion sense is at all times? not a good look.

Comment

• Mr. mr., I don't think Bruschetta's intention was to be snobby. Rather, Bruschetta is just very direct and honest in stating his opinion.

In this case I tend to agree with him. The coat is extremely long on you. I don't know what sources you're reading that advocate a mid-calf length coat, but in my opinion, a coat that ends anywhere below the knee looks very dated and makes the wearer look very short.

The shoulders also look quite large on you. They may be an ok size if you plan to wear the coat exclusively with a jacket underneath. Otherwise I think the shoulders are probably a full size too big.

With the amount of tailoring the coat would need to really work, I think it might be a better idea to wait for a sale on a new, modern-looking coat that needs minimal, if any, tailoring.
        Ben

Comment

• that was a 25 dollar, made in america, 100% wool coat i got at a thrift shop.

the shoulder seam is on my shoulder - and that's without wearing a sweater over the shirt i'm wearing. of all the things i would not want to be super-tailored and form fitting, it'd be a topcoat. there is no conceivable way i could fit a jacket under that coat.

as to the length - a cursory browsing of style forum leads to multiple threads saying mid-calf is fine, and it may depend on your own personal circumstances/when you're wearing the coat. similarly, i have no problems with wide lapels on a top coat - they actually are functional when it's windy, and as i live in NYC, it can get VERY windy on the streets.

my mistake was posting on a fashion forum instead of just lurking and waiting for deals.

Comment

• Mr. mr., this forum is probably not the place to post if you aren't interested in receiving honest feedback from disinterested observers. You invited criticism by posting your photo here. I'm not sure how it serves you to get defensive about a purchase and take the criticism personally rather than taking it in stride.
            Ben

Comment

• i'm not taking it personally, just pointing out the fact that the criticism from bruschetta was off-base, unhelpful, and generally just dickish.

saying it should be shortened and taken in? cool.

saying, i wouldn't be caught dead in that monstrosity (while getting the color wrong)? take yourself a little less serious and learn how to function in society.

Comment

• If you're okay with mid-calf then why are you asking? bruschetta gave his opinion and BenR concurred and also pointed out the pretty ridiculous shoulders (both opinions I agree with entirely). You yourself first said "keeping in mind i won't be wearing a sport coat/jacket underneath it" so with that in mind the strong, high shoulders aren't really necessary.

That topcoat could fly in Russia, perhaps, but it's not a good look here IMO. Dappered is far from a fashion forum. I understand that you don't want to seem "trendy" or "fashionable" but nobody's suggesting you get an impractical topcoat that wouldn't accommodate a jacket, rather just one that will be more flattering and appropriate to this era. I really don't think bruschetta's comments were off-base or unhelpful, nor were they dickish in the least. You're being quite sensitive about an object that in no means describes you or your body, it's an old thing you picked up secondhand. It's not like he was saying you had on a bad outfit or that you looked ridiculous. And buddy , it looks black... drop that issue please. You clarified the matter and then nobody called it black again.

Shortening and tapering won't make it more modern as you've still got the lapels and the shoulders. If you're heading out on a windy day in NYC a scarf, sweater, and wool cap will probably serve you better than large lapels.

Finally just a point: "that was a 25 dollar, made in america, 100% wool coat i got at a thrift shop." <-- A lot of older clothing is made in America, to be honest, if the piece is still wrong for you, its provenance doesn't make it any more appealing or appropriate.

Comment

• Bruschetta is direct. He's not snobby or dickish. If you want that, post on StyleForum on you'll see snobby and douchiness to the extreme. He doesn't like your coat. You asked for opinions and he provided his. If you're going to get this defensive about it and it sounds like you've already made up your mind about this coat, why even post it in here?

The first thing I thought of when I saw your pic was of the bad kid in The Breakfast Club.

Comment

• i'm still open to shortening it and i probably will. as to the zomg the shoulders (with anything remotely strong being beyond the pale, so sayeth the GQ groupthink), again, you guys are perfectly entitled to that opinion.

my only true gripe is the fact that bruschetta responded like someone with aspergers or some other social disorder would respond. i don't know him. he doesn't know me. if all the regulars wanna gang up, and act like this is a normal exchange between adults that exist in society, then be my guest. but for the record:

"is this jacket too long?"
                    "Unless you're an Italian mobster or a superhero, that coat is ridiculous."

his response was in no way helpful nor particularly responsive. if y'all want to all rally to his defense, so be it. i just think the idea that his response was warranted, helpful, or something he would ever say to a stranger in person is preposterous.

so, i'm not going to respond to this thread anymore. i agree that 1.) the shoulders are strong, 2.) the jacket could be more tapered, 3.) a mid-calf coat is not particularly modern. i will wear it some and see how i like it on the streets, and whether i come to enjoy the warmth the length provides and the added room it has.

furthermore, while i wear it, i anticipate that it will be complimented multiple times. i will enjoy those compliments. and then you guys can continue debating just how ridiculous the shoulders that extend less than half an inch are and how maybe it would be fashionable in st. petesburg, and possibly ukraine, but if i even wore it in budapest i'd be laugh at by everyone on the metro.
                    Last edited by mr. mr.; October 27, 2013, 03:30 PM.

Comment

• mr. mr., I'm sorry if I offended you. If it helps, I am far from having a "superior fashion sense". I'm a teacher who wears conservative, traditional, or some might say "safe" clothing. I don't have the personality or the income to wear flashy, expensive, or overly-stylish clothing.

The coat didn't look good. You yourself look fine. It was a comment on an item of clothing, and it wasn't intended as a personal insult.

Please stick around and continue to post on the forum. I'll try to keep out of your way.

Comment

• I am no expert by any means, so take this advice at your own peril, but they look fine to me. The shirt sleeve stops just at the wrist, and a bit of cuff is showing with the jacket.

Comment

• Originally posted by mr. mr. View Post
                          my only true gripe is the fact that bruschetta responded like someone with aspergers or some other social disorder would respond. i don't know him. he doesn't know me. if all the regulars wanna gang up, and act like this is a normal exchange between adults that exist in society, then be my guest. but for the record:

"is this jacket too long?"
                          "Unless you're an Italian mobster or a superhero, that coat is ridiculous."

his response was in no way helpful nor particularly responsive. if y'all want to all rally to his defense, so be it. i just think the idea that his response was warranted, helpful, or something he would ever say to a stranger in person is preposterous.
                          PS: The mobster or superhero comment was an attempt at humor. Again, it was directed at the coat, not at you. I'm sorry if it offended you.

Comment

• i accept and appreciate your apology - i never took it as a personal insult.

Comment

• Mr. mr. I am going to have to say that coat is a no go. If you shorten it, it will throw the proportions strangely off. There will be a low button stance, a large gorge, with a short amount of coat after it. This, combined with the fact that the tailoring required on that would be incredibly expensive, along with the fact that it has an extremely dated look, and has shoulders that dont flatter you in the least, would lead me to advise you to hold off and find something better. There are plenty of winter coats to choose from, and in general, if you are not going to be wearing a jacket under your coat, maybe a style other than a topcoat would be better.

Not that I am labeling myself a professional by any means, nor am I trying to flatter myself, but here is a picture of my BR bridge coat, and I think something like this would work much better for you (you can easily find something in a different colour or different style that fits a similar bill)

You can see the difference between the shoulders on this coat, which look very natural on my frame, the higher armholes, the slight taper, and a length that wont dwarf your legs. You may not like this look at all, and thats fine, I just wanted to give you a picture which I think shows some of the critiques the other members are giving you, that you can put next to your picture and mull over. At the end of the day, you dont have to agree with us, wear what you like!

Comment

• coat is way too long.

Comment

Working...
                                X