Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey all, tried to post this yesterday but I think it was lost to the abyss.

I don't wear sportcoats/suits to work or really for anything, so I only have 1 sportcoat/1 suit in my closet, both of which are from >5 years ago (the suit's actually from senior year of high school). Switching careers + getting more classy so that is about to change, I'm trying to figure out if these two are salvageable/tailorable as I make new purchases.

My measurements: 6'4", neck 36.5, arms 36, chest about 40 (not sure R/L), I wear 33/34 in pants.

Here's the sportcoat, it's a 42L JCP Stafford, 85% poly. Obviously synthetic and way too big in the waist, worth keeping at all?

Here's the suit, it's a 40L, wool, made by Zignone in Italy. Not sure how I feel about the 3-button.

Thanks for your help!

Comment

@SippyCup, neither are doing you any favors. The JCP is too big all around. The Zignone is harder to tell as you appear quite slim and it is a rather boxy cut. Perhaps it is just the photo or the 3-buttons, but it looks long despite you being 6'4. If you're wanting to keep it, I would have a tailor press it into a 3-Roll-2 and considerably slim it. Generally, it looks like an overcoat rather than a suit jacket.
      "You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

^ Agree with Greg.

1. Try and avoid >50% poly items.
        - I know JCP makes a mostly wool sportcoat for under $100. It would be a better candidate for tailoring than your current jacket.

2. Try sizing down for a trimmer fit.
        - A 40L may fit you well off the rack. If not, it's at least closer to where you should be, fit wise.

Comment

Greg and mcadam,

Thanks for your responses, I will probably donate the JCP and will look into tailoring and repressing the Zignone suit.

I still don't have a tailor but I am definitely accruing items which require tailoring! My shoulder to torso drop is pretty unforgiving for OTR, I'm going to have to find someone in the city to take care of my shirts/jackets.

Comment

Something I found online... Looks like something dappered would approve..

Comment

Yup, going by that guide my suit jacket is probably 1-2" too long...

Comment

Picked up 2 jackets from the JCP clearance rack today for a total of $23.96 (one was 9.99, the other was 19.99 and I had a 20% off coupon). I tried them on and snapped a few pics. I think they fit well. The navy one is all cotton and unlined. The other is 100% wool, but I wasn't sure about it since is a suit separate, but it was 8 bucks so I figured I would take it home and decide. I know this is the "How does this fit" thread, but in addition to that I am interested in what you all think about the purchase in general. For instance the peak lapels on the suit coat made me a little weary.

So guys, how do you think they fit / look? And can the suit coat be pulled off without the matching pants? Thanks!

Comment

The navy is a definite keeper. The fit is nice, maybe a tad short in the sleeves.

For the wool one, I think the peak lapels scream that it's a suit jacket and not a sportcoat, so that's much harder to pull off...

Comment

I like the blue one. The shoulders are perfect. It looks a bit tight in the midsection but a tailor could easily fix that. Although I doubt you'll be wearing it buttoned much so I'd you're probably fine leaving it the way it is.

Skip the other coat. There's no way it can pass for a blazer. The fit is great but with that design and pattern, you need the matching pants.

Comment

Hi guys, are these sleeves okay? It's hard for me to determine what is just right.

http://i.imgur.com/MVZZZDnl.jpg

Comment

Thanks guys. Appreciate the feedback.

Comment

Jeans Fit

I want to buy my first pair of decent jeans and am really overwhelmed by the number of fits out there. I found 5 that I personally liked and wanted to get some feedback from the forum. I was considering posting to Reddit's MFA, but they seem to be obsessed with skinny/tapered/slim jeans, which I am not a fan of. So, if you had to pick a fit (I know I want dark blue, but it was somewhat difficult finding my size in all of these fits in dark blue in store), which one(s) and why? Thanks.

Here's the album: http://imgur.com/a/58odk#0

Comment

length of this coat, keeping in mind i won't be wearing a sport coat/jacket underneath it.

Comment

mr. mr., Unless you're an Italian mobster or a superhero, that coat is ridiculous.

Comment

it's ridiculous to have a wool topcoat?

Comment

Working...
                                X