Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know whether the jacket fits you in the shoulders or not, but I think the shape of the jacket just isn't flattering on you. Too much shoulder padding, which seems to be at least a partial cause of the pulling and creasing at the shoulder.
    Ben

Comment

Originally posted by murphyslaw86 View Post
      I recently bought one of the J.Crew Factory Thompson suits in navy, but I haven't gotten around to taking it to the tailor. I know I need to get the sleeves shortened by about an inch, the pants hemmed, and the waist taken in a bit, but something I'm not sure about is how to deal with the way the jacket seems to flare out a little more than it should around my hips. I understand that the Thompson are cut to have more of a streamlined shape at the waist, but it seems like it's sticking out really wide in that area. Is this something a tailor can address? If so, what should I ask them to do?

Photos: http://imgur.com/a/D1ads#0
      what size is that thompson suit? and how much did you get it for? is all their thompson suit flare out on the waist like that? it looks like you're wearing a skirt with the waist flaring out like that.

the waist suppose to fit like this navy suit from this guy:

http://stayclassicblog.com/

it does not flare out as much as the thompson.

Comment

Originally posted by murphyslaw86 View Post
        I recently bought one of the J.Crew Factory Thompson suits in navy, but I haven't gotten around to taking it to the tailor. I know I need to get the sleeves shortened by about an inch, the pants hemmed, and the waist taken in a bit, but something I'm not sure about is how to deal with the way the jacket seems to flare out a little more than it should around my hips. I understand that the Thompson are cut to have more of a streamlined shape at the waist, but it seems like it's sticking out really wide in that area. Is this something a tailor can address? If so, what should I ask them to do?
        First thing you need to do is press out the creasing from shipping and being squished flat - that is most likely what is causing the sides to flair. If after pressing they still flair, then you can ask a tailor to fix it. The same thing will happen when you pack a suit jacket while traveling - it gets pressed flat causing the sides to flair.

Comment

Originally posted by andrewlcraft View Post
          It's the back of the shoulder that I not sure about. From the front view I think it's fine. It really doesn't stick out from my shoulder there, but in the back it seems strong. It doesn't really follow my natural shoulder line at the back. Is it too much to be useable for me? If I wore it locally, no one would see anything wrong, I'm sure, but I'd like a more educated opinion.
          It doesn't fit horribly, the shoulders are a bit bulky, but the lapels are a deal breaker. It was the first thing I noticed about the jacket.

Comment

My first blazer purchase. I know the sleeves are too long, but what about the rest of the fit? No returns, so I really need to make this work!
            http://i.imgur.com/VDRg2B3.jpg

Comment

Any opinions on the blazer I posted a page back? Want to ship it back soon but can't decide if I should keep.

Can try for better pics if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by geauxtigers View Post
                My first blazer purchase. I know the sleeves are too long, but what about the rest of the fit? No returns, so I really need to make this work!
                http://i.imgur.com/VDRg2B3.jpg
                I like it! Sleeves shortened and I think you're good to go. Shoulders look solid. If you're really picky about slim fit, you could ask him to maybe slim the sleeves? personal preference entirely.

Comment

Originally posted by NewGuy View Post
                  I like it! Sleeves shortened and I think you're good to go. Shoulders look solid. If you're really picky about slim fit, you could ask him to maybe slim the sleeves? personal preference entirely.
                  Thanks alot! I thought it was fine, but needed the trained eyes of this board to make me feel better about it.

Comment

hey all,

i've been looking for a charcoal suit for a black tie optional event that i have coming up soon. i wanted to make this an investment for a suit that i'll have for a long time. i was going to get a suitsupply but randomly found myself in a saks off-fifth (saks's outlet) today. i wandered into their suit section where a very helpful salesman assisted me in their many suits. i ended up getting a valentino that he said was fully canvassed. what do you guys think of the fit?

Comment

tbg, The shoulders don't look very good, but it could just be the picture. The rest is fixable with a trip to a good tailor.

Comment

Hello everyone.
                        I'm relatively new to wearing sport coats(and this forum) and haven't worn the sport coats I own because I'm worried about the fit. Any help would be appreciated.

This jacket seems to small for me. Am I right?

Last edited by jstrang; October 14, 2013, 06:23 PM.

Comment

Bigify your pic.

Comment

It should be fixed. Thanks.

Comment

Shoulders look ok and I don't see any pulling at the buttons. The sleeves seem a tad short and the jacket is shorter than I'd prefer but would work for those that like the Thom Browne look.

Comment

Originally posted by Vicious49 View Post
                                Shoulders look ok and I don't see any pulling at the buttons. The sleeves seem a tad short and the jacket is shorter than I'd prefer but would work for those that like the Thom Browne look.
                                Thank you very much. I was mainly worried about the shoulders.

Comment

Working...
                                X