Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Help me pick a watch

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by rocco1109 View Post
    The benefit of quartz is that you can set it and forget it. Quartz watches are battery operated and are accurate to about 10-20 seconds per year. Thus if you're prone to take off your watch after work on Friday, and pick it up Monday morning, with a quartz watch you'll be able to pick it up and go.

    With a mechanical watch, the power reserve (aka autonomy--the amount of time the watch runs without being wound) is generally 40-50 hours for a watch in your price range. Thus, if you take it off on Friday and pick it up on Monday, it'll be stopped and you'll have to set the time (and date if so equipped).

    With a quartz watch, you'll need to have the battery replaced every few years, which is relative easy/cheap nowadays with all those Fix-It stores in the mall.

    Personally I like mechanical because I like the idea of a mini-machine on my wrist. If I were looking in your price range, the Seiko SARB065 (leather strap) would be my choice or the SARB033 (steel bracelet)
    I like the idea of a mini machine too, but I know myself well enough to know that I am not interested in spending a lot of time fiddling with stuff. I want it to work without a lot of fuss. That seiko is very nice, but maybe slightly too dressy for me. I'd like something that can straddle dress/casual.

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by Strider View Post
      The Seiko Cocktail Time is a beautiful watch. Love it.

      I've had a Hamilton Khaki Navy GMT in the past, and I've always recommended automatic Hamiltons to people who are looking to dip their toe in the mechanical watch pool. Check out the Khaki King and Jazzmaster line of Hamilton autos for some really nice pieces. Other brands in that range include Victorinox, Bulova, Seiko, and occasionally Oris. All great value.
      I need to check out Victorinox. I really like the style of those generally, but haven't researched if any of their models fit the bill.

      All things considered, I think I'm leaning towards the Hamilton Khaki for the time being but we'll see.... lots to think about.

      Comment


        #33
        Check out Tissot as well. Swiss movement, sapphire crystal, reasonably priced. The PR100 is really nice:

        http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T049407...=p_89%3ATissot

        Comment


          #34
          How about a Citizen Eco Drive? Sapphire Crystal. Eco-Drive, so it doesn't need a battery. Only thing is the first one is 42mm, the second is 41mm.

          http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-AT2141.../dp/B00UMD8ICW

          http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM7251.../dp/B00PXVTU5C

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by runner-guy View Post
            Check out Tissot as well. Swiss movement, sapphire crystal, reasonably priced. The PR100 is really nice:

            http://www.amazon.com/Tissot-T049407...=p_89%3ATissot
            That is very nice. Thanks.

            Comment


              #36
              Originally posted by .brian. View Post
              How about a Citizen Eco Drive? Sapphire Crystal. Eco-Drive, so it doesn't need a battery. Only thing is the first one is 42mm, the second is 41mm.

              http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-AT2141.../dp/B00UMD8ICW

              http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM7251.../dp/B00PXVTU5C
              I really like the first one but I fear 42 mm will look ridiculous on me. Need to try some watches on this weekend.

              Comment


                #37
                Originally posted by Hyvasuomi79 View Post
                I like the idea of a mini machine too, but I know myself well enough to know that I am not interested in spending a lot of time fiddling with stuff. I want it to work without a lot of fuss. That seiko is very nice, but maybe slightly too dressy for me. I'd like something that can straddle dress/casual.
                I think you should first decide if you want quartz or mechanical and then start looking. The Hamilton Khaki, as you know, is mechanical. If you don't want to spend time fiddling with stuff, I think quartz is the way to go. As .brian says, the Citizen Ecodrive is a great choice. They make many versions. Also you might want to look at the Seiko Kinetics. The Kinetics are interesting because the movement is powered by your movement, but the energy is stored in a battery. The Seiko SMY143 is a nice example.

                Comment


                  #38
                  Originally posted by rocco1109 View Post
                  I think you should first decide if you want quartz or mechanical and then start looking. The Hamilton Khaki, as you know, is mechanical. If you don't want to spend time fiddling with stuff, I think quartz is the way to go. As .brian says, the Citizen Ecodrive is a great choice. They make many versions. Also you might want to look at the Seiko Kinetics. The Kinetics are interesting because the movement is powered by your movement, but the energy is stored in a battery. The Seiko SMY143 is a nice example.
                  If you were in my shoes and you decided to go with a quartz movement watch what would be your pick?

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Looks like you are interested in field watches. Someone already posted the Citizen version; if you want Seiko, this is probably the equivalent. Both are solar-powered and very reasonably priced.

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Originally posted by Hyvasuomi79 View Post
                      If you were in my shoes and you decided to go with a quartz movement watch what would be your pick?
                      I really like the Seiko SMY143. I like Tissot T-Touch Classic (I geek out on that techy stuff). I really like the Seiko SKA371 but realize it might be too sporty given your requirements. You can already surmise that I'm a Seiko fan. Most people think they just make inexpensive watches but Seiko has been around since the late-1800s and they make watches that rival the best in the world (see their Grand Seiko or Credor lines).

                      Their SARB033 at around $300 (granted, it's an automatic) looks just like the Grand Seiko SBGH005 that retails for north of $5000.

                      Comment


                        #41
                        Originally posted by rocco1109 View Post
                        I really like the Seiko SMY143. I like Tissot T-Touch Classic (I geek out on that techy stuff). I really like the Seiko SKA371 but realize it might be too sporty given your requirements. You can already surmise that I'm a Seiko fan. Most people think they just make inexpensive watches but Seiko has been around since the late-1800s and they make watches that rival the best in the world (see their Grand Seiko or Credor lines).

                        Their SARB033 at around $300 (granted, it's an automatic) looks just like the Grand Seiko SBGH005 that retails for north of $5000.
                        Awesome! I appreciate it. I'll take a look at those.

                        Comment


                          #42
                          On board with the sarb! Great watch. More personally a fan of the sarb 35 but equally an outstanding watch. Dresses up or down

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Originally posted by techjunkie25 View Post
                            On board with the sarb! Great watch. More personally a fan of the sarb 35 but equally an outstanding watch. Dresses up or down
                            Do you think this is a better value than the Hamilton?

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Hyvasuomi79
                              Better than the hamilton for the money?
                              Depends on the hamilton. I would personally go with a black faced jazzmaster on leather if I chose hamilton. For a good all around auto watch the sarb line is hard to beat: for price,movement and construction.

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by techjunkie25 View Post
                                Depends on the hamilton. I would personally go with a black faced jazzmaster on leather if I chose hamilton. For a good all around auto watch the sarb line is hard to beat: for price,movement and construction.
                                Field khaki was the one that interested me. Link in original post.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X