Help me pick a watch

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help me pick a watch

Just as the title says, I am looking to purchase a watch for the first time in years. I don't usually wear a watch, but have been thinking it would be nice to have to round out my work wardrobe. I have also been thinking lately that I'd like to get something that someday I can pass down to my boys. I'm (hopefully) a long ways from that date, but this is a factor because I want something that is both timeless and is well built to last a lifetime with good care. Maybe the idea of passing down a middle-of-the-road watch is strange, but I'm not flashy and prefer good build over name brands anyway. My kids know this about me, so in a way it would be more appropriate than trying to get an expensive Swiss watch with a popular name.

Another point: I would very likely only wear it when I am wearing a long sleeve shirt. I wear dress shirts and slacks to work, but would also wear it casually with long sleeve shirts outside of work. I just don't like the look of watch when worn with a t-shirt or short sleeved shirt.

So, the reality is that while I'd love to spend $2,000 on a watch that's just not going to happen in this lifetime. I have too many other priorities to be able to do that. The budget in all likelihood is $350-$400, and obviously less would be better.

Movement: I am fairly clueless when it comes to watches in all honesty, but I know enough to know that I don't want a watch that requires winding. I have an impression that an automatic watch is the best and a quartz movement watch is inferior, so I'd prefer an automatic. Maybe I'm wrong about that.

Size: I have medium sized wrists, and I really don't like huge, bulky watches. I need to try some watches on in person, but I am thinking something in the 38mm-40mm size range would be ideal for me.

glass: I have a belief that sapphire crystal is the best material. Is this correct? Is a mineral crystal so inferior that I should not even consider it?

If you're still with me, here's a couple of watches that I think would be nice options:

http://www.jomashop.com/hamilton-kha...h70555533.html

http://www.amazon.com/Orient-21-Jewe...tfb_2597904011

I like the Hamilton as it comes in a 38mm case and has the sapphire crystal, but it's on the upper end of what I'd like to spend. The Orient also seems to be a very nice option, but the case is 42mm, and I am not crazy about that. Also, it has mineral crystal.

Thanks for reading and for any insight you could provide. Again, I will admit being fairly clueless when it comes to watches so please instruct, correct, chastise, laugh, etc., as appropriate
    Last edited by Hyvasuomi79; November 13, 2015, 09:14 AM.

I have the Hamilton watch you posted in 42mm. It is a great watch and I beat the crap out of mine. It keeps time well and is based on a workhorse movement in the ETA 2824 which is used (though in different variations) in watches in the $3K+ price range.

Some ideas: 1. Get a cheaper Timex to see if you can get used to wearing a watch. I did this before taking the jump into my Hamilton. 2. Could you use credit card rewards points on a site like Amazon? I did this and it cut the out of pocket price of the Hamilton.

Many people here love Orient though I do not have any experience. I hear good things about Tissot as well which could fit into your price range. Finally, if there is a jewelry store in your local mall, they may have these watch brands to try on. I did this with my Hamilton though they weren't going to budge from MSRP on the thing.

Comment

I disagree that quartz is inferior to automatics, particularly for your purposes. An automatic will require regular winding and resetting, which would probably get annoying given your plans to wear it infrequently. Every few years, you will have to change the battery on the quartz (max $15), but you'd have to get the automatic serviced on roughly the same schedule and at significantly higher cost.

I agree on the point about sapphire v. mineral, though. If you want it to stay looking nice for a long time, sapphire will prevent scratches much better than mineral. I'm not particularly hard on my watches, but I've scratched every mineral crystal I've ever owned within a few months.

I think shooting for the 38-40mm range is a good call, regardless of your wrist size, as that size is pretty resistant to watch size trends.

The trouble: You may have a hard time finding an attractive, high-quality, budget-friendly quartz watch in an aviation-type style (like both your examples), with a 38-40mm case and a sapphire crystal. THe fashion these days, for reasons that escape me, is for watches to have automatic movements, which means that companies are more heavily investing in developing their auto lines than their quartz offerings. However, this one from Christopher Ward nails all those points, though it's a hair outside your budget (and shipping from C.Ward is costly). Less expensive but less heavily aviation-styled options are available from Tissot, like this and this. (For the record, I hate the bracelet on that first Tissot, but you can change that easily. The case also ends flat against the lugs, which means you could easily add an aftermarket bracelet, too.)

Happy hunting!

Comment

A few thoughts.
        If you get automatic that means winding. There is nothing wrong with a quartz movement from my experience. It will usually mean easier to keep it running especially if an item you want to pass down one day.

I'm not a fan of orient if it's something you want to pass down. I know a lot of people like them here but to me they are trendy watches not a classic.

I'm a big fan of some of the classic movados. Not the bolds etc. that is within you budget on joma, they are classy but can be worn with just jeans, a great item to keep as a family heirloom. I've got the classic leather band and another one. I get compliments every time I wear them. You get very good at reading the time after a little practice.

I'd recommend checking out a movado and seeing if that fits the bill. If not Burberry and Gucci have some nice classic quartz watches on joma occasionally that would fit the bill.

As mentioned above you cannot go wrong with Hamilton.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          A few thoughts.
          If you get automatic that means winding. There is nothing wrong with a quartz movement from my experience. It will usually mean easier to keep it running especially if an item you want to pass down one day.

I'm a big fan of some of the classic movados. Not the bolds etc. that is within you budget on joma, they are classy but can be worn with just jeans, a great item to keep as a family heirloom. I've got the classic leather band and another one. I get compliments every time I wear them. You get very good at reading the time after a little practice.

As mentioned above you cannot go wrong with Hamilton.
          To the bold, I think the OP was concerned about a hand-wind only movement. He mentioned only wearing the watch with long sleeved shirts. If the prospect having to hand-wind (or arm-wind if the movement doesn't hand-wind) and set the day-date after not wearing it for a while seems annoying, then maybe automatic is not for you. I'm not going to get involved in the auto-quartz debate, because it's largely preference at this point.

Originally posted by hockeysc23 View Post
          I'm not a fan of orient if it's something you want to pass down. I know a lot of people like them here but to me they are trendy watches not a classic.

If not Burberry and Gucci have some nice classic quartz watches on joma occasionally that would fit the bill.
          These two statements have me scratching my head. I would avoid fashion branded quartz watches. You are paying for the label.
          Last edited by Rocco; November 13, 2015, 11:05 AM.

Comment

I love the Hamilton Field. I just ordered it in 42mm. I think that may be too big, so I may return it for a 40mm. I obviously cannot speak to the quality, as I do not have it in yet, but I am a huge fan of the look. I did a lot of research before deciding on it, and the reviews are overwhelmingly very positive.

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
            These two statements have me scratching my head. I would avoid fashion branded quartz watches. You are paying for the label.
            I agree with this. I would never buy a Burberry or Gucci watch. When I started spending more for nice clothes, etc., I quickly came to this realization: only buy brands that specialize in the product. I would never buy a watch from any company that does not make watches. It's just like I buy my shoes from Allen Edmonds, not Banana Republic or J. Crew (of course I'm not talking about their Alden, etc. J. Crew branded shoes). Rocco is completely right that buying a quartz watch from Gucci or Burberry is paying for a name, not quality, and in this case, the name isn't even associated with watches.

I do agree with hockeysc23 that Orient is trendy, not classic. I know Orient gets a TON of love on sites like this, but I'm not the hugest of fans. I am referring mostly to their dress watches that, while they look pretty nice, are just too big/trendily bulky. I love the Orient World Adventurer, but I would never buy a 43.5mm that wasn't a dive watch (and that's about my max for a dive). If you think a 42mm is too big for your wrist, don't settle. You're looking to keep it for the long haul, so make sure you find exactly what you're looking for.

Comment

In your price range, you can find some awesome pre-owned vintage watches. Much more interesting than most new quartz pieces in that price range, and you'll find better value for your money. Check out the timezone.com and watchuseek.com classifieds.

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                I disagree that quartz is inferior to automatics, particularly for your purposes. An automatic will require regular winding and resetting, which would probably get annoying given your plans to wear it infrequently. Every few years, you will have to change the battery on the quartz (max $15), but you'd have to get the automatic serviced on roughly the same schedule and at significantly higher cost.
                I'm showing my ignorance, but you have to regularly service an automatic watch?

Comment

Originally posted by AngusM View Post
                  Less expensive but less heavily aviation-styled options are available from Tissot, like this and this. (For the record, I hate the bracelet on that first Tissot, but you can change that easily. The case also ends flat against the lugs, which means you could easily add an aftermarket bracelet, too.
                  I really like that first Tissot. Is that a quality made watch? I would want to change the bracelet to leather. Is that easy to do? Could you recommend a nice medium brown strap?

Comment

Originally posted by Hyvasuomi79 View Post
                    I'm showing my ignorance, but you have to regularly service an automatic watch?
                    Yes, and the price of service generally increases with the price of the watch. When looking at a luxury and/or vintage watch, this should be a consideration. Service for a cheap Seiko automatic (7S26) will probably "total" the watch, so most people advise just getting a new one. If you are really connected to the watch, getting a donor movement might be cheaper. Same goes for quartz; if it breaks, replace the whole watch or find a donor movement if the case has sentimental value.

Comment

I wouldn't be concerned with "scheduled maintenance" on automatic watches. They're pretty maintenance free, especially if they're not very complicated. In all the years I've had them, I've never felt the need to have them serviced, and they never gave me any issues with timing. Battery changes are nearly an annual occurrence.

Comment

You might want to consider a solar quartz or kinetic quartz. The battery will last longer before you need to change it.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180.../dp/B000EQS1JW
                        This is pretty nice, but apparently the strap kind of sucks?

Comment

I've had friends with Gucci and Burberry watches. The styling was nice and they never had problems with them. Maybe rare instances but they seemed to fit into the OPs budget of a nice watch that could be passed down. My bad if off base on them.

Comment

Originally posted by Strider View Post
                            I wouldn't be concerned with "scheduled maintenance" on automatic watches. They're pretty maintenance free, especially if they're not very complicated. In all the years I've had them, I've never felt the need to have them serviced, and they never gave me any issues with timing. Battery changes are nearly an annual occurrence.
                            If this is something he wants to pass on to his kids, I think service costs should be a consideration.

Comment

Originally posted by thedrake View Post
                              You might want to consider a solar quartz or kinetic quartz. The battery will last longer before you need to change it.

http://www.amazon.com/Citizen-BM8180.../dp/B000EQS1JW
                              This is pretty nice, but apparently the strap kind of sucks?
                              That is very nice looking actually...but this is all so confusing. And again, mineral quartz, which I am weary of. How do you ever choose?

Comment

Working...
                              X