X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Store Wars

http://dappered.com/tag/store-wars-2012/

Any thoughts on today's match up?

It seems like Banana Republic is a tough one to compare to Amazon.com. It also wasn't entirely clear if other Amazon properties like Endless, 6pm, etc. would fall under that umbrella.

For me, I just don't shop at BR very often. I bought an unstructured sport coat there about 2 years ago plus a clearance rack button down that I dumped after realizing I was wearing clothing too big for me. I just went back in the store recently and found cords comparable to ON for $80 instead of $20, and t-shirts that were $24 each. There was a sale going on in-store, and both were excluded from the sale. Still, if you had a big budget, you could truly outfit yourself with virtually everything from BR and walk out with a terrific classically styled wardrobe.

There are exceptions like this trench coat that stick out as clear value exceptions that dropped even lower in price during a recent sale, but it seems tough to shop there when it's so challenging to find the right sale, the right codes, things that are excluded, etc.

I don't buy much in the way of clothing from Amazon, but I did get Wurkin Stiffs for a good price (as a gift), a knit watch cap at JC's recommendation, laces, a money clip, Sno Seal, a lint brush/shoe horn/clothes brush (you know the one), cedar shoe trees, some weird tie tiedowns, an 8 pack of onesies, etc.

Amazon makes a slim profit margin on all of this yet still is bringing B&M stores to their knees. I have mixed feelings about this, but I know everything is going digital, so it's really just nostalgia.

So yeah, I voted for Amazon.

Nick.. I say this of course with all due respect buddy..

You have way too much free time.

lol

Comment

I voted for BR based on their luxury blend silk-blend sweaters. They're the best layering pieces I've found anywhere.

Comment

I voted for BR based on Amazon's lack of any actual clothes. And over the years, I've actually gotten a number of great pieces from BR.

Comment

Heh. Without the Mythbuster's level of analysis.. I vote BR as well. I actually buy clothes from them.

Comment

In addition to what nicholascrawford said - you pretty much can't beat Amazon for watches. Tens of thousands of options, many of them tough to find, and most of them at the lowest prices around. Plus, free shipping and free returns. For their watch sales alone, they easily get the win in my book.

Comment

Bonobos vs. Thrift Stores for today's matchup. Could be an interesting one. I went for thrift stores and it was 65-Bonobos to 50-thrift stores when I voted. Hopefully thirft stores can pull off the first round upset.

Comment

@brooklyn87 I agree about the watches, but you need to watch for fakes.

Comment

I went with thrift. I figure one poll isn't going to turn the whole country on to thrifting so I'm cool with it. I noticed the thrifting thread got a mention. And what's the first pic to come up? Me in a not-particularly-special suit with a stupid grin on my face. :-P

Comment

I'm just going to mention my love/hate relationship with NYC thrift stores one more time (oh, the pain! the agony!) and then vote for Bonobos

Comment

Thrift is winning!!! lol

Comment

Thrifting is widening that lead. They're gonna win it at this rate.

Comment

I voted for Thrifting even tho I don't do it at all, and have spent an embarrassing amount at Bonobos in the last year or so (I have way to many pairs of chinos now). Bonobos isn't meant to be an affordable men's line. It was affordable bc they were building their online presence / brand recognition via sales.

Comment

@hornsup84 you hit the nail on the head. Bonobos really isn't a brand that speaks to the message Joe has with Deppered. Without the sales and Groupons they are more expense then most any brand covered on the site. While I like the brand when I can get a good deal I hope they lose.

Comment

I voted Last Call over Macy's. They have awesome, affordable Neimam Marcus shirts that you cant find anywhere else, their Hickey Freeman suits are nicer than ANYTHING at Macy's, and the shoes are so much better, too. Macy's is just another big store, and they play the hi/low pricing game (which I hate).

Comment

Working...
                              X