Help me choose the right wingtip boots

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help me choose the right wingtip boots

Hi folks, first time posting. Been a lurker on dappered.com for quite some time now. I even found a relevant article for one of the shoes I am considering but that's 4 years old - http://dappered.com/2011/09/wingtip-...0-asos-option/

I have never spent more than $70 on a shoe and I have realized how big of a mistake that has been. Now that I have gotten little wiser, I ordered a wingtip boot from Lord & Taylor and have one in transit from Asos. I don't think I am still ready yet to spend more than a say 175. So before I ask you to suggest more alternatives, can you please provide feedback on the following shoes -

1. Asos - http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Brogue-Boots...B1bGwvUHJvZC8. Are these any better than how they were 4 years back. I plan to wear my boot maybe once a week in fall/winter.

2. Johnston & Murphy https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/conar...boot/9887.html - Almost double the price of ASOS, but is it significantly better than ASOS because I read on some forums people dissing on JM shoes as well and some even calling them crap. Another problem is they run a little big and I am size 8 which is the smallest they make.

If both would just last me a season or two, I would prefer ASOS, since they are cheaper and look sleek and less bulky.

Originally posted by couchpotato View Post
    Hi folks, first time posting. Been a lurker on dappered.com for quite some time now. I even found a relevant article for one of the shoes I am considering but that's 4 years old - http://dappered.com/2011/09/wingtip-...0-asos-option/

I have never spent more than $70 on a shoe and I have realized how big of a mistake that has been. Now that I have gotten little wiser, I ordered a wingtip boot from Lord & Taylor and have one in transit from Asos. I don't think I am still ready yet to spend more than a say 175. So before I ask you to suggest more alternatives, can you please provide feedback on the following shoes -

1. Asos - http://us.asos.com/ASOS-Brogue-Boots...B1bGwvUHJvZC8. Are these any better than how they were 4 years back. I plan to wear my boot maybe once a week in fall/winter.

2. Johnston & Murphy https://www.johnstonmurphy.com/conar...boot/9887.html - Almost double the price of ASOS, but is it significantly better than ASOS because I read on some forums people dissing on JM shoes as well and some even calling them crap. Another problem is they run a little big and I am size 8 which is the smallest they make.

If both would just last me a season or two, I would prefer ASOS, since they are cheaper and look sleek and less bulky.
    I would like to suggest, as politely as possible, that the problem with shoe construction in general is that it's hard to really construct any shoes in a quality way with out charging $350 for them. the construction of most $200 mens boots is generally the same molded sole construction method and materials as the ones that are $50. maybe there are some incremental improvements along the way to $200, but it usually pretty minimal in my opinion.

In my opinion, in almost every case, until you get into a real goodyear welted leather/rubber sole you may as well buy some very inexpensive ones. Nothing wrong with that, they do make some good inexpensive ones these days. JCP Stafford has a couple good pairs usually about $50-60 bucks with a sale.

I'm just not sure there's much value in a $200 Johnson and Murphy boot with GLUED ON FAKE goodyear welting, poor quality calfskin leather, a cemented sole, that is made in china. Especially when you could get a allen edmonds 2nd's pair that is really quite divine for <$240 or so.

The fact is that cemented-together shoes, while they have lots of good qualities like being able to approach $50 sometimes, they just don't last.

If it was me? i'd keep the asos ones and save up for the real thing if you like having mens dress boots.

i started with a set of JCP Deacons before i got my $200 Allen Edmonds Dalton's.
    Last edited by evanparker; October 21st, 2015, 10:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post
      I would like to suggest, as politely as possible, that the problem with shoe construction in general is that it's hard to really construct any shoes in a quality way with out charging $350 for them. the construction of most $200 mens boots is generally the same molded sole construction method and materials as the ones that are $50. maybe there are some incremental improvements along the way to $200, but it usually pretty minimal in my opinion.

In my opinion, in almost every case, until you get into a real goodyear welted leather/rubber sole you may as well buy some very inexpensive ones. Nothing wrong with that, they do make some good inexpensive ones these days. JCP Stafford has a couple good pairs usually about $50-60 bucks with a sale.

I'm just not sure there's much value in a $200 Johnson and Murphy boot with GLUED ON FAKE goodyear welting. Especially when you could get a allen edmonds 2nd's pair for <$240 or so.
      +1 [MENTION=12001]evanparker[/MENTION]'s comment with the caveat that I don't believe you have to jump to $350 for a quality pair of boots. I don't have any data or facts to back that up, and I do agree that (aside from aesthetics) the difference between a $100 boot and a $50 boot is minimal.

All that aside, if OP's top dollar is $175, then $175 is OP's top dollar. In addition to AE seconds, you could also consider browsing 6pm.com for discount/discontinued boots. (Be warned though, I believe that all sales on 6pm.com are final). Amazon is another source to consider where the occasional deep discount can be had.

And finally, if the only choices are the JM and Asos boots, I personally would take the JM boots for no other reason than I think the coloring is more versatile. People do trash JM quite a bit. My experience with JM hasn't been unpleasant. I had one pair a few years ago. They were daily work shoes that were worn 3-4 days a week. They held up for about a year before the heel started to fall apart. For the money spent, I wasn't upset.

Comment

Perhaps look into the Wolverine 1000 Mile Addison? It's a wingtip though more in the work boot line than dress boot. I have a pair of the regular 1000 Milers and love them. They can be had for around $250ish on ebay for new first quality.

Comment

Wouldn't buy either one. From the article the ASOS pair sounds like a giant waste of money, if you ask me. My experience with J&M isn't that great. I had a pair of boots that, while the leather quality was full-grain and passable, the bondwelting was terrible. Worn probably a couple of dozen times over the course of a few months and the sole started to separate. And I'm not particularly hard on my footwear. I will say that J&Ms customer service was good. Took them back to the store and they accepted them without a hassle for a refund.

Comment

After not wanting to spend a lot of cake on shoes, I am firmly of the opinion that you get what you pay for. I've shelled out cake on boots and I'm still wearing them to this day. The boots look great and are super comfortable. My $0.02 is save up for a quality pair of boots. I know it is not the answer you're looking for, but I think in the long run you'll be happier. Cheers.

Comment

It all depends on where you are in your life/journey. I personally WANT to change out my shoes every year or two. I still haven't landed on that one style or color that i think "damn, I could wear these for the rest of my life". Until I do, I wont spend more than $125 and usually shop hard for sales in the $75 range.

Comment

Thanks for your replies. This definitely helps.

I do understand shoes like allen edmonds are the real deal and are practically an investment , but at this point at least for the boots I have the same thought process as idvsego. I don't wear boots enough and haven't fallen in love with any particular boot to keep it for a long time. As long as I can get a season or two out of a shoe for 50-60 bucks, I am fine with that. For the same reason, Stafford boots were the first one's I tried in JCP but to me they looked very cheap. They might be solidly constructed (as solid as they can be) but were not stylish at all, IMO. The JM & ASOS look much better.

Between the ASOS and JM, I was hoping someone can give me a positive review for JM, especially because it sure looks and feels like a quality product and the brand has been around for a long time. I was hoping they will be in the middle when it comes to quality and would easily last 2-3 years (following the principle of you get what you pay for). I am surprised as to how much hate this brand received but reading more and more about welt construction and experiences from different owners of JM shoes, I guess they deserve it and are essentially the same as an ASOS shoe in terms of longevity.

A colleague of mine got ASOS last year at around $50 and wore it for a season. At that price, I guess it makes sense to just use them occasionally and toss them out when they are done. Meanwhile I'll set some alerts for AE sales. I live in IL and might even visit the AE store up here in Wisconsin some day.

If similar to ASOS, there are any stylish boots available in sub 100 price range, please suggest. TIA

Comment

Originally posted by evanparker View Post

I'm just not sure there's much value in a $200 Johnson and Murphy boot with GLUED ON FAKE goodyear welting, poor quality calfskin leather, a cemented sole, that is made in china. Especially when you could get a allen edmonds 2nd's pair that is really quite divine for <$240 or so.

The fact is that cemented-together shoes, while they have lots of good qualities like being able to approach $50 sometimes, they just don't last.

If it was me? i'd keep the asos ones and save up for the real thing if you like having mens dress boots.

i started with a set of JCP Deacons before i got my $200 Allen Edmonds Dalton's.
                  I searched enough but haven't been able to find a dalton, size 8 for $200. Maybe I am not looking at right places. Suggestions?

Comment

I searched enough but haven't been able to find a dalton, size 8 for $200. Maybe I am not looking at right places. Suggestions?
                    You just missed out on the AE RDA sale. They had Daltons on the Shoebank site, Size 8 for a like, $229 or something. You're going to have to wait for another sale. If you're not averse to gently used shoes, you could always look at eBay or the Styleforum classifieds.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                      It all depends on where you are in your life/journey. I personally WANT to change out my shoes every year or two. I still haven't landed on that one style or color that i think "damn, I could wear these for the rest of my life". Until I do, I wont spend more than $125 and usually shop hard for sales in the $75 range.
                      I am at the same point in life as you are. Haven't yet found the one or maybe I am not ready for the life long commitment

Do let me know if you have any suggestion for a sleek boot in sub 100 price range.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
                        You just missed out on the AE RDA sale. They had Daltons on the Shoebank site, Size 8 for a like, $229 or something. You're going to have to wait for another sale. If you're not averse to gently used shoes, you could always look at eBay or the Styleforum classifieds.
                        Thanks. I'll check out Styleforum classifieds. Do you know if AE seconds are used or refurbished?

Comment

Thanks. I'll check out Styleforum classifieds. Do you know if AE seconds are used or refurbished?
                          Neither. AE 2nds are shoes that didn't pass QA for some reason or another, but are still structurally sound. I own two pairs of 2nds that I've only found the imperfection on one, and it took me months of wearing them to finally find it (there's a single top stitch that's so barely off that it's not even noticeably. I just happened to be examining them super close while conditioning them...oh, it was a pair of Randolph penny loafers, btw). Good thing is that if they're coming from a store, you can ask them to look at them for you before you purchase. If they're coming from the warehouse in WI, well...if you don't like them, you can always ship them back free. AE's customer service is outstanding for returns and exchanges, btw.

Comment

[MENTION=14655]couchpotato[/MENTION] if you like the look of the JM boots, but are holding off on buying them because of a lack of reviews, what is the return policy like? I have taken the leap on some online items with zero reviews and been surprised at the results (in other words, the purchase has been a good one).

But I understand about the point in your life. You have to go with what works for you at moment in time.

Comment

Originally posted by idvsego View Post
                              Well, fair enough, but you can get very high quality shoes in that price range. This year, I bought two pairs of Allen Edmonds new for (slightly!) less than $100 each because they were close-out styles (Kenilworth in brown; Neumok in olive green). I think lurking the Allen Edmonds shoe bank for styles that are being discontinued is a great way to get shoes that are very cheap and high quality.

Comment

Working...
                              X