A slightly different wedding attire question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A slightly different wedding attire question

The background: I'm a good friend of the bride from high school. She's getting married in 11 days in Utah. At the end of May, the couple is hosting a reception for those of us here in Kansas that couldn't be at the wedding/reception in Utah. I'm 20 years old, the bride and groom are of similar ages.

I'm a bit unsure about what would be appropriate to wear to this event, since it's just a reception, and fairly far-removed from the wedding itself. Especially given that the event is aimed at a demographic of similarly young people, is a suit too much? I don't actually even have a suit yet, but I've been meaning to get one.

"is a suit too much" in my opinion, not for a wedding reception. You say a younger demo will be attending the wedding, if you want up your game, I would go with a suit.

The most widely recommended colors are either blue or gray. I would go with a wool, two button. Either color would look good with a crisp, slim fitting white dress shirt. YOu can either go with or without a tie. You know the attendees so you can better gage what kind of scene it will be and what neckwear if any would be most appropriate and you feel most comfortable with.

Comment

@ dread, if I am reading this right....you want advice on what to wear to the reception- only event in May and not the wedding reception, correct?

If so, considering the youthful demographic and the warmer weather, I would have to go against the suit. Probably would be too formal. Not to say wear t-shirt, jeans and sneakers, but I think a lightweight blazer (linen, perhaps), nice denim, button up and nice loafers would be more than enough.

Comment

A suit is definitely not too much for a wedding reception. Even if not many other people are wearing suits, you'll look that much better. As CJJ said, if you are going to buy a suit buy one for the long term that you can wear to various events, preferably in navy or charcoal. If you have until May, you have plenty of time to find a nice suit and get it tailored. You can't go wrong with a white or light blue shirt. I would recommend a tie also. You can always take it off if you want. And find a nice pair of non-squared toe shoes if you don't have a pair already.

Comment

Have you considered just asking what the dress code is so there won't be any mis-communication?

Comment

If you think a suit would be too much, I like Heafcliffe's suggestion of a linen or cotton blazer, but I would not wear such a lightweight fabric with denim (I personally would never wear denim period) but the fabric weights will clash. Wear linen or cotton pants if going with the blazer.

If going with a suit, you could always take the tie and/or jacket off if you are feeling uncomfortably overdressed or it gets too hot.

Comment

Denim seems too casual. Some slacks and a buttondown, with a jacket/blazer that you can take off / put on as necessary, seems like the easy choice.

However, definitely no harm in asking what attire is.

Comment

I had asked before; they hadn't yet decided. They got back to me today. A suit is fine. Since I've been meaning to buy a suit and a better pair of dress shoes, this will be a good opportunity. I'm thinking navy, two-button, double-vent.

Comment

A solid choice.

Comment

You really can't go wrong with navy. A very versatile color.

Comment

fake oakleys to reduce the visible light entering the eye, the pupil will naturally turn up, resulting in a narrow anterior chamber angle, resulting in poor drainage of aqueous humor, a long time, easy to induce acute angle-closure glaucoma. fake oakley sunglasses The scorching sun had blinded the people to shake, for many people wear sunglasses to prevent strong sunlight on the eye injury. Note, however, is inappropriate to wear sunglasses selection and may damage your eyes, but not everyone is suited to wear.

nike free run As a issue of point, a lot of people adore Nike footwear very much, because they are certainly not only comfortable, but shinning. As to Nike footwear, they’re endowed with a lot of features, and these qualities are just expected by nearly every one of the wearers. nike free gives youngsters the best of both words offering natural motion with manufactured protection. City grey mesh makes for a snug and cool upper as a total orange underlay adds the right amount of color pop.

Comment

Working...
                      X