Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Dropped off a blazer at C&W today. A jaw-dropping $38 to lengthen the sleeves on it! Non-functional cuffs, but she'll move the buttons down too. That would be $15 where I'm used to going. Well, this will be a "cheap" test before sending a suit over there.

Leave a comment:

• thmage
    replied

Hope you're enjoying SF. It's definitely an interesting city. I live down on the peninsula (when I'm not at school). If you need any recommendations for things to do in the general Bay Area, just let me know.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

I did a search for thrift stores and that one came up. I'll have to visit. HAVE to visit. =D

Leave a comment:

• rob2
    replied

@nicholas

I picked up a nice Banana Republic black leather jacket (and a few other bits & pieces) at Crossroads Trading at the Mission (Castro) end of Market Street when I was in town a couple of years ago

http://crossroadstrading.com/

Seemed like some pretty good deals available, but I had already bought enough to more than fill my brand new second suitcase by the time I got to SF, after nearly 5 weeks in the USA, so was at least as concerned with getting it all packed for the trip back to Oz as I was with acquiring more!

They are also a possible venue to get rid of old clothes if there were any that made the long trek with you that you don't need, although I have read previous reports complaining about the low prices paid.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Ha! Glen - I walked by C & W today. They're one block over from my house. This could be expensive...

The move went well. Still lots of work to do since we're (my wife volunteered me) removing wallpaper and repainting the house. The lengths I will go to so that she thinks it looks "cute" but at the same time, she's already validated the move by winning a big startup competition this weekend.

I couldn't do the Gilt Warehouse Sale this weekend, but I would be game for anything else. Starting over in the friend department here, as you can imagine.

Leave a comment:

• nikeairmax01
    replied

cheap fake oakley sunglasses outdoor goods maker has announced that it will launch a series of top-level 3D glasses for the home theater market. The series will provide a variety of different design styles, in this year’s Christmas shopping season on sale, the selling price were not disclosed. replica oakley sunglasses even Oakley manufacturing MP3 sunglasses is not the first time. Oakley, the Split Thump completely portable music out of the shackles of the headphone cable.

replica oakley sunglasses even Oakley manufacturing MP3 sunglasses is not the first time. Oakley, the Split Thump completely portable music out of the shackles of the headphone cable. cheap fake oakley sunglasses outdoor goods maker has announced that it will launch a series of top-level 3D glasses for the home theater market. The series will provide a variety of different design styles, in this year’s Christmas shopping season on sale, the selling price were not disclosed.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

My wife is moving her tech company (social media consulting & iPhone app creation) to SF for better opportunities, and I'm leaving the family tree business and interviewing with companies out there. Quite the transition.

I'm gonna take some oversized dress shirts over to a resale shop to see what kind of money they're willing to pay. If it goes well, I might sell a bunch that route since I'm too lazy to sell on eBay.

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

So how come you are moving Nicholas? New Job? Better schools?

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Yeah, yeah, there are higher elevations, maybe 100 feet higher, but all things considered, there's a lot below us! lol

The view out of the master suite with the Golden Gate right in the middle.

That sold me!

Now to find painters too! Yelp, it is!

Leave a comment:

• glen
    replied

Will you be past 19th avenue? That's not considered high elevation! Inner Sunset would be near UCSF, where it still gets foggy, but not as much.

I have a few friends that go here to get their stuff tailored, but I have yet to try it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-w-tail...-san-francisco

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Anyone have a strong recommendation for a tailor in SF? I'm pretty happy with the guy I recently found in Milwaukee, but he's not perfect and not cheap. It's $15 for jacket sleeves and $70 for anything in the torso.

Getting a suit coat tailored in the body and sleeves, the pants hemmed and slimmed through the leg, a sportcoat tailored in the body and sleeves, and a button moved on a dress shirt = $195. My thumbs are slightly off (childhood injury), and he did one sleeve too short, so he's redoing that for free. So...not a perfect score, but the coat torsos turned out well.

Leave a comment:

• nicholascrawford
    replied

Shut up! I know where the happy cows really are!

Slight venue change. We're switching to a sweet 3 bedroom house in Outer Sunset for the schools and space for the same price ($2900/month). It's a pretty high elevation still, but I'm expecting plenty of fog and cooler temperatures. Wisconsin tends to have even higher temperature swings in a day, much less a week. I'll be ready!

I think the vacuum bags are a good idea. And/or the hanging bar. It'll just be one SUV since I'm leaving my work Jeep behind and just taking the Explorer. But good memory, Alan!

Leave a comment:

• Acousticfoodie
    replied

Congrats on the move to California, the true cheese king of the states!

Leave a comment:

• MattC
    replied

Welcome to the Bay Area!! (although I'm in South San Jose, so I may get some flack for throwing myself into the "Bay" group)

Leave a comment:

• glen
    replied

@T2, He will be in Bernal Heights, so it's going to be typical SF weather. However, the description of the summer is accurate.

I'd say that your area would be generally sunnier than other parts of the city (i.e. Sunset). I'm from the same area too. Sorry to say that your winter clothes and summer clothes won't see much use. There are about 3 days of summer in the year where it hits above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and in the winter, the lowest is about 40.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X