Moving

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Moving

I've mentioned this before, but I'm moving to SF from Milwaukee in 4 weeks. (panic attack)

My plan is to pack up my winter clothes right before the move and throw that box on the truck to be reopened in the fall. I've got some summer clothes, but I'm going to be pitching a lot of them since discovering Dappered last fall has given me a new perspective on my summer wardrobe as I'm returning to it.

Any thoughts on moving with clothes? Should I hit the reset button the wardrobe? (Please say yes.) We've got one box that has a hanging bar, and I'm thinking I should get another.

Fortunately, we have an apartment rented, and I'm not going to be living out of a suitcase in an extended stay hotel for a while with everything sitting in a POD warehouse. We'll pack, drive for 2-3 days, and unpack. Not too worried about mold developing. I am curious about some of the vacuum packing solutions that might work for the move and serve as a good long term summer storage answer.

Finally - hello to anyone in SF. We're going to be on Mission St. near Bernal Heights. If you want to connect, just drop a line at @bullmeister on Twitter.

FWIW, I've always done a closet purge every time I've moved. As for moving a bunch of hanging clothes, since you're driving with 2 SUV's, how about something like this:

http://www.amazon.com/High-Road-CAR-.../dp/B002Z64QO8

Comment

@ Nick, last time we moved we used these bags:

http://www.amazon.com/Space-BRS-8225-Vacuum-Seal-Storage-Medium/dp/B0009VCB4S/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1331591991&sr=8-2

http://www.amazon.com/Space-Bag-BRS-5803-6-Dual-Use-Vacuum-Seal/dp/B000T4FVTW/ref=pd_sbs_hg_4

They work great, maximize space, keep odors out, etc... during the move. Futhermore, as you mention, they can used (as we do) for seasonal storage. We bought the a set that came with different sized bags but I think you'd do well by just getting the large bags.

I travel some for work and I've used them to save space in my suitcase.

Best of look on your move and welcome to California!

Comment

Slightly off topic, but if you're not familiar with San Francisco summer weather you're going to be in for a shock. It's not unusual for a day to start out in the 50's with fog, hit the high 70's or 80's (rarely 90's) by noon, and be back into the 50's and 60's with a cold wind by sunset when the fog rolls back in. You want a mix of a spring/fall and summer wardrobe, and you'll want to have at least 3 layers of clothes on most days (tee / polo, light spring/fall sweater, wind breaking jacket).

If you plan on moving down the peninsula (south of San Bruno / Millbrae) or to the East Bay, you can throw that advice out the window as you'll have a more typical summer climate without as much fog.

Just a heads up from someone who's seen far too many tourist freeze in the SF "summer".

Comment

@T2, He will be in Bernal Heights, so it's going to be typical SF weather. However, the description of the summer is accurate.

I'd say that your area would be generally sunnier than other parts of the city (i.e. Sunset). I'm from the same area too. Sorry to say that your winter clothes and summer clothes won't see much use. There are about 3 days of summer in the year where it hits above 90 degrees Fahrenheit, and in the winter, the lowest is about 40.

Comment

Welcome to the Bay Area!! (although I'm in South San Jose, so I may get some flack for throwing myself into the "Bay" group)

Comment

Congrats on the move to California, the true cheese king of the states!

Comment

Shut up! I know where the happy cows really are!

Slight venue change. We're switching to a sweet 3 bedroom house in Outer Sunset for the schools and space for the same price ($2900/month). It's a pretty high elevation still, but I'm expecting plenty of fog and cooler temperatures. Wisconsin tends to have even higher temperature swings in a day, much less a week. I'll be ready!

I think the vacuum bags are a good idea. And/or the hanging bar. It'll just be one SUV since I'm leaving my work Jeep behind and just taking the Explorer. But good memory, Alan!

Comment

Anyone have a strong recommendation for a tailor in SF? I'm pretty happy with the guy I recently found in Milwaukee, but he's not perfect and not cheap. It's $15 for jacket sleeves and $70 for anything in the torso.

Getting a suit coat tailored in the body and sleeves, the pants hemmed and slimmed through the leg, a sportcoat tailored in the body and sleeves, and a button moved on a dress shirt = $195. My thumbs are slightly off (childhood injury), and he did one sleeve too short, so he's redoing that for free. So...not a perfect score, but the coat torsos turned out well.

Comment

Will you be past 19th avenue? That's not considered high elevation! Inner Sunset would be near UCSF, where it still gets foggy, but not as much.

I have a few friends that go here to get their stuff tailored, but I have yet to try it.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/c-and-w-tail...-san-francisco

Comment

Yeah, yeah, there are higher elevations, maybe 100 feet higher, but all things considered, there's a lot below us! lol

The view out of the master suite with the Golden Gate right in the middle.

That sold me!

Now to find painters too! Yelp, it is!

Comment

So how come you are moving Nicholas? New Job? Better schools?

Comment

My wife is moving her tech company (social media consulting & iPhone app creation) to SF for better opportunities, and I'm leaving the family tree business and interviewing with companies out there. Quite the transition.

I'm gonna take some oversized dress shirts over to a resale shop to see what kind of money they're willing to pay. If it goes well, I might sell a bunch that route since I'm too lazy to sell on eBay.

Comment

cheap fake oakley sunglasses outdoor goods maker has announced that it will launch a series of top-level 3D glasses for the home theater market. The series will provide a variety of different design styles, in this year’s Christmas shopping season on sale, the selling price were not disclosed. replica oakley sunglasses even Oakley manufacturing MP3 sunglasses is not the first time. Oakley, the Split Thump completely portable music out of the shackles of the headphone cable.

replica oakley sunglasses even Oakley manufacturing MP3 sunglasses is not the first time. Oakley, the Split Thump completely portable music out of the shackles of the headphone cable. cheap fake oakley sunglasses outdoor goods maker has announced that it will launch a series of top-level 3D glasses for the home theater market. The series will provide a variety of different design styles, in this year’s Christmas shopping season on sale, the selling price were not disclosed.

Comment

Ha! Glen - I walked by C & W today. They're one block over from my house. This could be expensive...

The move went well. Still lots of work to do since we're (my wife volunteered me) removing wallpaper and repainting the house. The lengths I will go to so that she thinks it looks "cute" but at the same time, she's already validated the move by winning a big startup competition this weekend.

I couldn't do the Gilt Warehouse Sale this weekend, but I would be game for anything else. Starting over in the friend department here, as you can imagine.

Comment

Working...
                              X