Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you wear Flannel shirts? If so, how do you pull it off?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you wear Flannel shirts? If so, how do you pull it off?

I have never worn Flannel shirts but I spotted a few online that I am considering for casual weekend wear. How do you pull it off without looking lumberjack’ish? I suppose it works well if it has a button-down collar paired up with a lambswool v-neck/crewneck sweater?

Here are a few that caught my eye:

L.L. Bean Scoth Plaid flannel
    L.L. Bean Wicked Good flannel in Houndstooth

Lands’ End Flagship flannel

Lands’ End merlor Jaspe (kind of has a chambray appearance)

Uniqlo Flannel Check (spread collar maybe paired w/ a grey sweater?)

These seem a tad more dressier:
    Uniqlo Flannel check
    Uniqlo Flannel Check

1. Just wear it without worrying what other people may possibly think.
    2. Don't get the one on the first link because that pattern is way too mainstream.

Comment

Weekend wear in and out of the house for fall/winter. Love em.

Comment

You have a couple of options.

Not Lumberjack
        1.) Wear it with chinos or something other than jeans.
        2.) Be relatively clean shaven.
        3.) Avoid heavy boots.
        4.) Laugh it off if someone makes a lumberjack joke, which they shouldn't if you follow steps 1-3.

Lumberjack
        1.) Wear jeans.
        2.) Have a beard.
        3.) Wear your work boots (I assume most of Dappered's followers don't actually have work boots.)
        4.) Take a long swig of whiskey from your hip flask and snarl at whoever makes a lumberjack joke.

Just avoid going for a "look". If you're going grocery shopping in Los Angeles on a Saturday morning, you probably don't need a flannel with jeans and boots. But if you're going hiking on a Saturday morning in the Angeles National Forest, you're going to be looking appropriate because your outfit matches your activity. You'd look equally odd if you were to go hiking in a poplin dress shirt, wool flannel trousers, and monk straps.

Comment

With jeans or chinos, tucked or untucked. Leave your axe at home.

Comment

Flannel, jeans, boots.

If your flannel, jeans, or boots are not appropriate for what you're doing then don't wear them. Also don't worry about what people think. Wear it because it's a thick, warm, hard wearing shirt that looks good.

Comment

Looking lumberjack-ish is kind of the point of wearing flannel, man. Just embrace it. You'll only look like a true lumberjack if you tuck your flannel into dirty carpenter jeans and wear hefty steel-toed boots. On cool days, I like a flannel or chamois shirt over a henley, with dark cuffed jeans and heritage work boots.

Comment

I find the pattern makes a differencs. I avoid busy plaids and go for stripes or buffalo plaids and it looks sharper. Wear some good quality denim too.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobs18 View Post
                  You have a couple of options.

Not Lumberjack
                  1.) Wear it with chinos or something other than jeans.
                  2.) Be relatively clean shaven.
                  3.) Avoid heavy boots.
                  4.) Laugh it off if someone makes a lumberjack joke, which they shouldn't if you follow steps 1-3.

Lumberjack
                  1.) Wear jeans.
                  2.) Have a beard.
                  3.) Wear your work boots (I assume most of Dappered's followers don't actually have work boots.)
                  4.) Take a long swig of whiskey from your hip flask and snarl at whoever makes a lumberjack joke.
                  Option 2 all fall/winter on the weekends. It helps I live in Oregon =)

Just picked up one if J.Crew's herringbone flannels & love it. I have traditionally stuck with much cheaper options for flannels, but man is it nice.

Comment

Jeans, untucked, boots.

Comment

Looking lumberjack-ish is kind of the point of wearing flannel, man. Just embrace it. You'll only look like a true lumberjack if you tuck your flannel into dirty carpenter jeans and wear hefty steel-toed boots.
                      THIS.

The flannel look is great for the fall, and looking somewhat like a lumberjack (albeit a well-groomed one with killer boots and nice jeans) feels masculine and cozy. I know we're a community of guys that likes elevating typical slovenly fashion, but sometimes stuff is classic for a reason. Flannel is great -- just remember to wear it occasionally (rather than constantly) and you'll be fine.

Comment

Originally posted by Jacobs18 View Post
                        Why would you assume that? I wear work boots everyday.

It's a flannel not a pink tux don't think to hard.

It's a casual button down.

They can be a thin more fine fabric or a heavier weight warmer more casual fabric. Flannels can be kinda dressy or super casual and purpose built for warmth in harsh cold conditions.

Jeans chinos boots. Wearing a heavy weight flannel is much different than a more dressy side flannel from say Polo Blue label.

Comment

I do. I have a couple. Its pattern needs to be not so trying, sort of like how I view the gingham pattern - that if it's too big or too "picnic-ish", then it's a no go. The way I wear it is untucked, sleeves rolled up with either dark jeans or chinos and desert boots. Ya know, the usual set-up. My facial hair power is awfully weak, so I don't sport a beard.

OT: Since someone brought up the lumberjack look, does anyone know if there's a lumberjack sports organization near Chicago? I'd like to get in on that.

Comment

I assumed that most forum members don't own work boots because I assume that most of them don't work in industries requiring work boots, such as construction, distribution, or forestry. The point is that I said most. I stand by my assumption.

Comment

Flannel 101: K.I.S.S & don't over think it!

Well fitting flannel, decent T underneath if you get hot, jeans, boots. Beard and whiskey optional, but highly recommended

J.Crew Herringbone
                              JCF slim washed V
                              JCF Selvedge denim
                              Woolrich boots

And for the record, I think work boots are fairly popular here.

Comment

Working...
                              X