Thoughts on socks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on socks

How do you guys like your socks.....do you like loud socks to give some splash to a conservative suit/pants/shoes, or do you stay solid colored?

Personally, I love crazy socks, as I usually don't have the guts to wear anything too crazy unless its a minor part of an outfit.

Always interesting socks. They don't have to be crazy, but at least stripes, argyle, dots, etc.

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

I've been pulling back on the crazy socks. I don't want them to distract from the coherence of the overall look.

Comment

I'm pretty conservative with my socks, mostly solid colors. I may start getting into some patterns though.

Comment

Robert Graham & Ted Baker both put out some fun designs.

Comment

I'm wich JC, not really doing the crazy socks anymore. I have some multicolored subtle stripes and argyles but thats about it. Frankly, I'm just tired of losing the matching pairs and having to organize them. I guess I'm just lazy. I'm sticking mostly to matching my socks to my trousers.

Comment

I'm kind of the opposite, I used to only wear solid maybe subtle dot pattern socks...now I've just started trying out different loud/unique patterns in various colors

Comment

I prefer loud/crazy socks myself. I teach so I have to dress pretty conservatively but the kids get a kick out of my socks. They ask to see them everyday so my game needs to be tight. Between my socks and my ties (occasionally), I feel like it is the little bit of fun I can have with my work wear.

Comment

I tend to be relatively conservative with my socks. I end up wearing lots of wool ones in colder months. I have one pair of red wool socks that I really like, and it's about the craziest I've got. A few argyle.

My main difficulty is finding socks that are fun, affordable, high-quality, and in my size (7.5-8 shoes). For some reason that's a harder combo to find than you would think.

I also just don't like wearing really thin socks. I hate how they feel slick inside a shoe. I prefer to wear slightly thicker ones if I can, or at least socks with a bit of texture.

Ben

Comment

@BenR...I hear ya on the difficulty with socks. To be perfectly honest, the socks I do have that are fun/affordable are not high quality. I usually only get a couple of wears out of them before my big toe starts busting through. However, I have found that with the J Crew ones I have too, which I would think are of pretty good quality. Perhaps the problem is that I need to groom my giant gnarled toe...

Comment

I've been a socks match pants kind of guy since I started wearing business casual daily. I'm starting to get into a little more color but still not too terribly keen on crazy designs. I have a good bit of argyle and am on the lookout for socks with thick horizontal stripes, but that's about as wild as I plan on getting at the moment.

Comment

As a rule, I always try and put some color between my ankles. Generally, I find it works better with an infusion of color with a conservative outfit; a navy or charcoal suit for example.

That said, there are times - especially in the business world - where conservative socks are a more appropriate choice.

However, I've reassessed my sock choices since I wore a pair of my wife's to work thinking they were mine.

Comment

I prefer interesting. Something eye catching but not overly wild

Comment

I tend to go with argyle or ones with rugby style colored stripes (but I prefer ones with more subtle/subdued colors). Like others, i think its a nice way to break up a conservative suit.

Comment

Always had boring black socks, but right now I'm stocking on more colorful socks, mainly stripes. Bought a pair of solid red socks, it's kind of a personnal challenge to pull them off.

Also, semi-related, I'm looking for socks with tiny bicycles on it. Any sock expert here to help me?

Comment

Working...
                              X