Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Anyone have any experience with Spier and Mackay Sportcoats?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anyone have any experience with Spier and Mackay Sportcoats?

I have found almost zero information online regarding fit and quality. They seem to have very good prices on traditionally styled sportcoats, which is hard to find nowadays (I hate the narrow lapels of J Crew, BR, and other similar brands), so I'm wondering if anyone here has tried them or has any info. I'm sure it'd be a benefit to others, not just me!

... Are you serious? There's an entire thread on styleforum and I've personally contributed multiple product reviews, including a sport coat.

Comment

I'll snap you a pic tomorrow wearing one. I have one of their butterfly 1/4 lined lightweight numbers from the spring. I like it a lot, and I can post a pic wearing the JCF Thompson, and the Suitsupply Washington for reference regarding fit.

As far as quality is concerned, I really like their products and I can't imagine liking anything in the price class as well. I went off my modus operandi (buy gently used off eBay or the like) with their products because I hoped they could be a go to for items I wanted to buy new. Obviously their shirts were highly lauded around the forums and I decided to order.

In regards to the "new model" sport coats, they're nice. Lightweight is the name of the game here. I have some linen in my closet, but this wool is spectacularly light. Mind you, I purchased the "tropical weight" POW check, light grey blazer so I'm not sure the wool is the same across all models. The canvas feels really light and flexible and the shoulders aren't too structured.

I really like it.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
        ... Are you serious? There's an entire thread on styleforum and I've personally contributed multiple product reviews, including a sport coat.
        Easy there tiger...be nice!

That being said, I wonder what search engine your using because typing in Spier and Mackay in google pulls up the styleforum thread first and on dappered forums a list of recent threads on spier and mackay including a review of their sportcoat and trousers.

It does strain credulity that you "searched all over" and found nothing. Perhaps you had too many search terms?

Too answer your question though, fit is relative and its quality seems on par if not better than JCF Thompson and Suit Supply based on reviews. I plan on purchasing all my new suits from them in the future.

Comment

Fit on the suits isn't great for me, but the quality seemed very good, especially at the price point. I'm a big fan of their shirts and ties as well.

Comment

Originally posted by LosRockets View Post
            Yes.

I suppose I was more asking in regard to fit. I always do my research, and I have found the StyleForum thread as well as the dappered reviews. While the quality seems excellent at the price point, and they seem to have what I'm looking for in a jacket (especially with their end of season sales) I was worried about fit. Despite all my research, I haven't found any information about the fit of their jackets other than in passing ("the fit is great" doesn't tell me much).

Originally posted by jmreg View Post

It does strain credulity that you "searched all over" and found nothing. Perhaps you had too many search terms?

Too answer your question though, fit is relative and its quality seems on par if not better than JCF Thompson and Suit Supply based on reviews. I plan on purchasing all my new suits from them in the future.
            See above .

Specifically, their shoulder measurements seemed rather large when compared to their chest and waist measurements. A lot of that depends on the padding in the shoulder, which is why those measurements can be so hard to find helpful. Due to having narrow, prominent shoulders, I work best in jackets with a natural shoulder (due to prominence) but with padding (to prevent divots caused by the narrow shoulders) which seems to be the case here, but I was hoping to get more info on the matter.

Comment

Originally posted by nova View Post
              Yes.

I suppose I was more asking in regard to fit. I always do my research, and I have found the StyleForum thread as well as the dappered reviews. While the quality seems excellent at the price point, and they seem to have what I'm looking for in a jacket (especially with their end of season sales) I was worried about fit. Despite all my research, I haven't found any information about the fit of their jackets other than in passing ("the fit is great" doesn't tell me much).

See above .

Specifically, their shoulder measurements seemed rather large when compared to their chest and waist measurements. A lot of that depends on the padding in the shoulder, which is why those measurements can be so hard to find helpful. Due to having narrow, prominent shoulders, I work best in jackets with a natural shoulder (due to prominence) but with padding (to prevent divots caused by the narrow shoulders) which seems to be the case here, but I was hoping to get more info on the matter.
              The shoulders are very lightly padded on the sportcoats and fall fairly naturally. Which size were you looking at? The shoulders are graded based on our experience with custom suits over the past five years and seem to work quite well for most. But as with all OTR, it really needs to be tried to make sure the fit is for you.

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                The shoulders are very lightly padded on the sportcoats and fall fairly naturally. Which size were you looking at? The shoulders are graded based on our experience with custom suits over the past five years and seem to work quite well for most. But as with all OTR, it really needs to be tried to make sure the fit is for you.
                Oh wow, wasn't expecting a response from an official account!

My best fitting jacket has the following measurements:

* 17.25" natural shoulder
                * 41" chest (with added room in the back, so more room here wouldn't be bad)
                * 37.5" waist (ish).

As you can see, the shoulder measurement is small and seems to line up with your 36, but the rest is more of a 38. It's a struggle I seem to deal with eternally. Of course, a lot of the shoulder size working has more to do with the armhole size and pitch, as well as how it's measured, which is why it's so hard to compare measurements like this.

Comment

Oh wow, wasn't expecting a response from an official account!

My best fitting jacket has the following measurements:

* 17.25" natural shoulder
                  * 41" chest (with added room in the back, so more room here wouldn't be bad)
                  * 37.5" waist (ish).

As you can see, the shoulder measurement is small and seems to line up with your 36, but the rest is more of a 38. It's a struggle I seem to deal with eternally. Of course, a lot of the shoulder size working has more to do with the armhole size and pitch, as well as how it's measured, which is why it's so hard to compare measurements like this.
                  Do you know what your body chest/waist measurements are? For a slimmer fit, you generally need 2-3" extra fabric in the chest/waist.

BR,
                  Rick

Comment

Originally posted by SpierMackay View Post
                    Do you know what your body chest/waist measurements are? For a slimmer fit, you generally need 2-3" extra fabric in the chest/waist.

BR,
                    Rick
                    As of last measurement, chest was 39" and waist was about 33"

Comment

As of last measurement, chest was 39" and waist was about 33"
                      The 36 just might fit you well as a slimmer fitting jacket. You may have to have waist opened slightly.

Comment

Rick, I think you said there was plans for releasing Short sizes this fall. Any updates?

Comment

Originally posted by joekloo View Post
                          Rick, I think you said there was plans for releasing Short sizes this fall. Any updates?
                          They are shipping out from the factory on Friday. Should be here in about a month.

Comment

Any tall sizes or just short to start?

Comment

Originally posted by TKNumber3 View Post
                              Any tall sizes or just short to start?
                              Tall as well. Going to start in Core Navy, Medium Gray and Charcoal.

Comment

Working...
                              X