Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding the perfect, affordable, versatile, go-anywhere, do anything sportcoat/blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mattsteg
    replied
    Giant French cuffs, gaudy links on full display, in too-loose jacket sleeves or no jacket...iffy. But that hardly rules out the cuff design in general. Just keep things in balance overall.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    [MENTION=14519]Hobo Johnson[/MENTION] yup, I realize the sleeves have got to be cut back.

I hear both sides of the french cuff debate here [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]. Ultimately, I think I'll reserve my two french cuff shirts for real formal wear. The shirts that have french cuffs are just too "dressy" to pair with this blazer, but they're good candidates to wear with the Suitsupply suit I'll probably end up getting. I didn't know anything about cufflinks when I bought mine, but luckily I chose a very simple design that doesn't scream for attention.

A nice dress watch is something that's on my list of things to get. It's not a very high priority, though. I've got to build up my collection of formal and semiformal pants and shirts before I shift focus to accessories. I don't even own any OCBD's yet (cue collective gasp)!
    Hey Danny:

Glad you found something in your comfort level that you are happy with. All these {seemingly} minor decisions go a long way towards establishing your own unique look. Getting a proper "suit" will take a lot of pressure off you in more formal situations, and allow you to enjoy your Ludlow as your go-to jacket.

It is fascinating to hear people's opinions and regional preferences. I'd never heard of French cuffs described as "J-Shore" before (LOL!!). The French shirt-no tie/sport jacket/dark jeans look is gaining traction in my circles. I'll have to let some of my associates know incase they travel to the west coast.

Just remember, unless you are playing it straight with your outfits (ie you work as a doorman or funeral director) the "rules" are pretty arbitrary these days. Good Luck!!

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    [MENTION=14519]Hobo Johnson[/MENTION] yup, I realize the sleeves have got to be cut back.

I hear both sides of the french cuff debate here [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION]. Ultimately, I think I'll reserve my two french cuff shirts for real formal wear. The shirts that have french cuffs are just too "dressy" to pair with this blazer, but they're good candidates to wear with the Suitsupply suit I'll probably end up getting. I didn't know anything about cufflinks when I bought mine, but luckily I chose a very simple design that doesn't scream for attention.

A nice dress watch is something that's on my list of things to get. It's not a very high priority, though. I've got to build up my collection of formal and semiformal pants and shirts before I shift focus to accessories. I don't even own any OCBD's yet (cue collective gasp)!

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    totally understand the strong feelings about French cuffs...that's one of the reasons I made the suggestion...If you want to get double or triple duty out of a single sport coat, you are going to have to step out of bounds a little.

In the more formal situations, drawing attention away from the jacket might be beneficial. Not because it isn't a nice jacket (it is!!), but rather to emphasize some other accessory (ies) that show an subtle element of formality. The sleeve, cuff, wrist area has great potential for this effect. This can help balance out the outfit if some of the other accessories (shoes/belt/neckwear) are lacking.

The benefit IMO of the French cuffs is to add a more substantial "cuff" to the sleeve area. The links should be very small, simple and tasteful. They should complement a simple but dressy watch. Overdo it and you fall off the cliff.

Might not work for everyone, but it will definitely set you apart if you can hit upon the right combination.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    My boss wears white french cuff shirts with his suits every day. He has his set wardrobe which is only like a 10 rotation of everything but it works.

Leave a comment:

• doomx
    replied
    Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
    I think he said he realizes that they need shortened.

As far as french cuffs, for me they are best reserved for black tie. I do have some french cuff shirts that I'll wear to parties at night with a suit. I can't think of any reason I would wear them with a sport coat.

I will admit that most of my contrast collar shirts have french cuffs. I do wear these sometimes during the day, but again with a suit.

I'm sure there are people in places not too far from me that are wearing sport coats with french cuff shirts and getting compliments on it too. I'm just not one of those people. For me it feels like wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket.
    Totally agree about the French cuffs. They can turn a nice look into JShore gaudy very easily if you are not careful.

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    replied
    Originally posted by Hobo Johnson View Post
    Hey Danny: don't wanta sound like a broken record, but the sleeves are kinda long dude. You gotta show some cuff..

If you want to do some "instant formal" an easy way is to wear a shirt with French cuffs and links. And a watch - of course!! This really adds punch if your outfit is{otherwise} on the casual end of the spectrum. Another good reason to work on those sleeves...
    I think he said he realizes that they need shortened.

As far as french cuffs, for me they are best reserved for black tie. I do have some french cuff shirts that I'll wear to parties at night with a suit. I can't think of any reason I would wear them with a sport coat.

I will admit that most of my contrast collar shirts have french cuffs. I do wear these sometimes during the day, but again with a suit.

I'm sure there are people in places not too far from me that are wearing sport coats with french cuff shirts and getting compliments on it too. I'm just not one of those people. For me it feels like wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket.

Leave a comment:

Guest replied
    Hey Danny: don't wanta sound like a broken record, but the sleeves are kinda long dude. You gotta show some cuff..

If you want to do some "instant formal" an easy way is to wear a shirt with French cuffs and links. And a watch - of course!! This really adds punch if your outfit is{otherwise} on the casual end of the spectrum. Another good reason to work on those sleeves...

Leave a comment:

• thecharlesg
    replied
    [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] nice find. Looks great. I'm glad you're happy.

EDIT:Also, props on going with patch pockets. In my opinion they are the only way to go with a sport coat. Blue cotton is also a nice touch.
    Last edited by thecharlesg; September 23, 2015, 12:03 AM.

Leave a comment:

• JBarwick
    replied
    Looks good!

Leave a comment:

• Matchbook
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    Looks good on you. Sleeves are a hair long, as you say, but perfectly wearable as is IMO.
    Agreed. Sleeves slightly long, but otherwise, fit looks pretty darn good, [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]. Nice pick-up. I think you made the right choice.

Leave a comment:

• doomx
    replied
    Originally posted by Danny View Post
    The deed is done, good sirs. I made friends with the guy who was helping me out, and managed to get a 30% discount rather than 25%. Score!

Also, I was delighted to discover that OTR the 36R fit like a glove. I don't plan to get it tailored this month (gotta let my bank account replenish), and to be honest, if I did I would probably just take about 1/4th inch off the sleeves.

As the sages say, go big or go home.

Thank you all for making this joyful moment possible. I feel confident that I made the right choice.

Congrats. Looks great. By the way I have a recently purchased Havana wool suit in this color. Love it.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Looks good on you. Sleeves are a hair long, as you say, but perfectly wearable as is IMO.

Leave a comment:

• Danny
    replied
    The deed is done, good sirs. I made friends with the guy who was helping me out, and managed to get a 30% discount rather than 25%. Score!

Also, I was delighted to discover that OTR the 36R fit like a glove. I don't plan to get it tailored this month (gotta let my bank account replenish), and to be honest, if I did I would probably just take about 1/4th inch off the sleeves.

As the sages say, go big or go home.

Thank you all for making this joyful moment possible. I feel confident that I made the right choice.

Last edited by Danny; September 22, 2015, 08:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• dangerpenguin
    replied
    Bonobos has a great unconstructed cotton blazer in navy that goes for $228 -- you get 20% off your first purchase, however, so that puts it in the same ballpark as some of the earlier mentions. I have one myself and love it. I wonder if the cotton material/minimal lining might be a little light for Seattle though, so you might venture to their guideshop and check it out for yourself to be sure. https://bonobos.com/products/the-unc...zer?color=navy

The J Crew Cotton Ludlow is pretty great as well. More figured through the shoulders than my first recommendation and plays at the exact same price point (though it lacks the stretch material that Bonobos has, which I like). J Crew is getting stingier with their discount codes, but I would still wait to see if this shows up on a sale over the next few weeks.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X