Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding the perfect, affordable, versatile, go-anywhere, do anything sportcoat/blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] -- it's only $179 if it's in the Khaki color. The blue is listed at full price.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
      [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] -- it's only $179 if it's in the Khaki color. The blue is listed at full price.
      nope...use the code "timetoshop". feel free to pay full price though

Comment

Hey Danny: I like the Ludlow in blue - nice choice!! You are lucky that type of fabric/style is acceptable for formal in your region of the country. I could never get away with that in the conservative Midwest (hence the JCP wool recommendation).

I did read up on Shatnez, and had no idea there were restrictions on fiber content. And this is despite living in a Jewish community for most of my adult life. Appreciate you sharing that info, and hopefully no offense taken...John

Comment

[MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION], you just made my day.

Update: Oh bummer. the 25% doesn't stack with the 15% stuent discount. oh well, 179 is still pretty good for this... right?
          Last edited by Danny; September 22, 2015, 06:24 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=14519]Hobo Johnson[/MENTION] I'm not quite sure how i'll wear the jacket formally, but it's nice enough to be able to be elevated (i'm thinking khaki chinos and dress shoes).

Of course there is no offense taken! I'm glad I could teach you a little about shatnez.

Comment

[MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION], you just made my day.

Update: Oh bummer. the 25% doesn't stack with the 15% stuent discount. oh well, 179 is still pretty good for this... right?
              Try ThreadStats to find the cheapest prince on J Crew merchandise. The current price is quite good. A wardrobe staple like this won't get much cheaper until J Crew has only oddball sizes left.
              For the item in question:

http://www.threadstats.com/product/20r

Hope this helps,
              Don

Comment

Bonobos has a great unconstructed cotton blazer in navy that goes for $228 -- you get 20% off your first purchase, however, so that puts it in the same ballpark as some of the earlier mentions. I have one myself and love it. I wonder if the cotton material/minimal lining might be a little light for Seattle though, so you might venture to their guideshop and check it out for yourself to be sure. https://bonobos.com/products/the-unc...zer?color=navy

The J Crew Cotton Ludlow is pretty great as well. More figured through the shoulders than my first recommendation and plays at the exact same price point (though it lacks the stretch material that Bonobos has, which I like). J Crew is getting stingier with their discount codes, but I would still wait to see if this shows up on a sale over the next few weeks.

Comment

The deed is done, good sirs. I made friends with the guy who was helping me out, and managed to get a 30% discount rather than 25%. Score!

Also, I was delighted to discover that OTR the 36R fit like a glove. I don't plan to get it tailored this month (gotta let my bank account replenish), and to be honest, if I did I would probably just take about 1/4th inch off the sleeves.

As the sages say, go big or go home.

Thank you all for making this joyful moment possible. I feel confident that I made the right choice.

Last edited by Danny; September 22, 2015, 08:24 PM.

Comment

Looks good on you. Sleeves are a hair long, as you say, but perfectly wearable as is IMO.
                    Ben

Comment

The deed is done, good sirs. I made friends with the guy who was helping me out, and managed to get a 30% discount rather than 25%. Score!

Also, I was delighted to discover that OTR the 36R fit like a glove. I don't plan to get it tailored this month (gotta let my bank account replenish), and to be honest, if I did I would probably just take about 1/4th inch off the sleeves.

As the sages say, go big or go home.

Thank you all for making this joyful moment possible. I feel confident that I made the right choice.

Congrats. Looks great. By the way I have a recently purchased Havana wool suit in this color. Love it.

Comment

Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
                        Looks good on you. Sleeves are a hair long, as you say, but perfectly wearable as is IMO.
                        Agreed. Sleeves slightly long, but otherwise, fit looks pretty darn good, [MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]. Nice pick-up. I think you made the right choice.

Comment

Looks good!

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] nice find. Looks great. I'm glad you're happy.

EDIT:Also, props on going with patch pockets. In my opinion they are the only way to go with a sport coat. Blue cotton is also a nice touch.
                            Last edited by thecharlesg; September 23, 2015, 12:03 AM.
                            My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Hey Danny: don't wanta sound like a broken record, but the sleeves are kinda long dude. You gotta show some cuff..

If you want to do some "instant formal" an easy way is to wear a shirt with French cuffs and links. And a watch - of course!! This really adds punch if your outfit is{otherwise} on the casual end of the spectrum. Another good reason to work on those sleeves...

Comment

Originally posted by Hobo Johnson View Post
                                Hey Danny: don't wanta sound like a broken record, but the sleeves are kinda long dude. You gotta show some cuff..

If you want to do some "instant formal" an easy way is to wear a shirt with French cuffs and links. And a watch - of course!! This really adds punch if your outfit is{otherwise} on the casual end of the spectrum. Another good reason to work on those sleeves...
                                I think he said he realizes that they need shortened.

As far as french cuffs, for me they are best reserved for black tie. I do have some french cuff shirts that I'll wear to parties at night with a suit. I can't think of any reason I would wear them with a sport coat.

I will admit that most of my contrast collar shirts have french cuffs. I do wear these sometimes during the day, but again with a suit.

I'm sure there are people in places not too far from me that are wearing sport coats with french cuff shirts and getting compliments on it too. I'm just not one of those people. For me it feels like wearing a shirt and tie without a jacket.
                                My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Working...
                                X