Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Finding the perfect, affordable, versatile, go-anywhere, do anything sportcoat/blazer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I also have, and love, this suit. It's a wool/silk/cashmere blend, so fairly warm fabric, but nothing crazy. I can wear it in Southern California. I consider lapels skinny (about 3"). I almost wear it solely as a blazer. I've worn it as a suit maybe twice total. It's another two birds one stone suit. A little more pricey at $569.

EDIT:

Here's another that is $469 total.
    My Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCSs1xkOEoJdPfZ4KRW575qA

Comment

Just to throw this out there -- thoughts on H&M? I know the quality is lacking (to say the least), but it's certainly affordable. I've tried on a jacket of theirs, and it didn't look so bad to me.

Of course, most will argue (correctly) that this solution would probably cost me more in the long run. Still, maybe it would be worth picking something up from them to hold me over till I have the funds to spring for something akin to a ludlow?

Comment

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] The first one seems too bold/fashion forward to act as my go-to navy suit, but it would certainly be a handsome standalone blazer. That price, though.

I was briefly considering the Havana as an option for the suit category (slimmer lapels than the napoli). It's patch pockets and natural shoulders make it a great option as a blazer, but maybe a bit informal as a staple blue suit. What do you think?

[MENTION=14363]donniedemarco[/MENTION] duly noted -- if I notice it dips below $100 (and if I can get free shipping) I would totally order the JCF thompson chino.

Comment

sounds like these havana suit seperates would be perfect for you:

http://us.suitsupply.com/en_US/jacke...l?cgid=Jackets

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
            [MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] The first one seems too bold/fashion forward to act as my go-to navy suit, but it would certainly be a handsome standalone blazer. That price, though.

I was briefly considering the Havana as an option for the suit category (slimmer lapels than the napoli). It's patch pockets and natural shoulders make it a great option as a blazer, but maybe a bit informal as a staple blue suit. What do you think?

[MENTION=14363]donniedemarco[/MENTION] duly noted -- if I notice it dips below $100 (and if I can get free shipping) I would totally order the JCF thompson chino.
            Los Angeles is rather relaxed. It works here. Probably wouldn't work professionally in NY or Chicago. I don't know much about Seattle.

As far as H&M at that price even if it doesn't last your not out much. I just don't like their styling. Also the disposable "fast fashion" is bad for the environment. If you care about that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by thecharlesg View Post
              Los Angeles is rather relaxed. It works here. Probably wouldn't work professionally in NY or Chicago. I don't know much about Seattle.

As far as H&M at that price even if it doesn't last your not out much. I just don't like their styling. Also the disposable "fast fashion" is bad for the environment. If you care about that sort of thing.
              I've considered picking up a suit or two at H&M for going out, or for more casual days at the office. I live in Long Beach, so people are generally pretty casual in the office, and some of their fits are not bad on me off the rack.

With that being said, do people see this suit (http://www.hm.com/us/product/10556?article=10556-A) as being Fall-appropriate? I have a lightweight tan chino suit that is definitely out of the question--too light in color and weight for even California autumns. But this one I've tried on in the store and it's a heavier weight cotton in a darker khaki with some texture to it.

Comment

I think, in this case, eBay is definitely more your friend if you're looking for something that's going to be better quality than say, H&M/Zara (I imagine you want it to stand up to more than a year of regular wear). So, in answer to your requirements for budget and versatility, I would suggest this. I agree that a cotton sport could would be good. Seattle is pretty laid back, so this should suffice. Just make sure you ask for the measurements and what not, unless you're confident that any Ludlow coat is going to fit you decent enough in your size. I'm always jealous at all of the options out there in 38-40 sizes. Anyways, just my suggestion.

I also noted these ones. Not nearly as versatile, but I would totally hop on this Blackwatch Brooks jacket if I could fit into it. Haha.

For a more Ivy/professorial/university look, maybe something like this? Could probably get that hole rewoven.

Comment

Originally posted by ac6 View Post
                  I've considered picking up a suit or two at H&M for going out, or for more casual days at the office. I live in Long Beach, so people are generally pretty casual in the office, and some of their fits are not bad on me off the rack.

With that being said, do people see this suit (http://www.hm.com/us/product/10556?article=10556-A) as being Fall-appropriate? I have a lightweight tan chino suit that is definitely out of the question--too light in color and weight for even California autumns. But this one I've tried on in the store and it's a heavier weight cotton in a darker khaki with some texture to it.
                  That hm suit doesn't look bad if it weren't so short. Too bad too, because I really like it.

Comment

That H&M jacket isn't bad but for $80, I would almost play the eBay game and wait one out. Just because something isn't on there now, doesn't mean it won't be soon. Also since you mention eBay is no returns, it is actually pretty easy to return items as sellers can put "returns" on their listing. I even got a seller with "no returns" to take something back as he said something was a 40R but it was clearly tagged 44R when I go it but had some alterations done.

Comment

(side note -- I'm loving the discussion here, guys. The more opinions and ideas on this thread the better. You're all fantastic.)

[MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION] the jacket has it all -- but it takes a SERIOUS hit on the "affordability" front. I can barely bring myself to pay $400 for a full suit right now. If money was no object, i would probably go SS on this one.

[MENTION=14255]thecharlesg[/MENTION] - Seattle has a pretty relaxed culture overall, but i have no experience within the Sales/PR industry. I'd rather err on the side of caution/formality.

[MENTION=12733]ac6[/MENTION] that's just the type of H&M blazer I had in mind (but in blue). I might just go try it on -- even if it's only going to last for a year or two, it may be able to tide me over until I have enough funds to go with something from SS or similar. I'm concerned about the shortness, as charles mentioned, but we'll see. As people have alluded to, Seattle is pretty laid back.

[MENTION=12045]Matchbook[/MENTION] -- people seem to be real proponents of ebay on this site. I'm just so scared of it. Even the sellers that offer returns make you pay for shipping (both ways), and often they include a "10% restocking fee". Since i'm so finicky, I feel like it's likely that I would waste a bunch of money just sending stuff to (and from) me. Even so, I would have considered pulling the trigger on the ludlow option, but I'm actually a 36R in their italian cotton sport coats. I like that Herringbone coat, but see above concerns.

[MENTION=4069]JBarwick[/MENTION] -- your story actually illustrates one of my concerns with ebay. You just don't know what you're going to get. It may be exactly as described, or it could be totally different (as with your 44 jacket). I bet he made you pay for return shipping for his mistake, too! I like that with other retailers, you know exactly what to expect. I just wish there was a physical ebay store! (I know someone here is going to claim that thrift shops are equivalent to a physical ebay store, but no, they're not. I've spent considerable time in a bunch of thrift shops, and it's super rare to find something in my size. When I do, it's typically not quality. Ebay has a much more vast selection.)

Just to let you guys know where I'm standing now:
                      - I'm watching the price on the Thompson from JCF. If it dips below $100 with free shipping, I'll try it out.
                      - I'm watching the price on the ludlow. If it dips below $150, I'm going for it.
                      - waiting (impatiently) for the Uniqlo store to open so I can try their offerings.
                      - I plan to go try on the H&M blazers, with the knowledge that it would act as a "bridge piece", tiding me over till I can afford something better.
                      - keeping a skeptical eye on ebay, while trying to remain open minded.

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION] In case you didn't notice, the jacket is part of a suit seperate, ie there are matching pants, but the jacket has the details to be worn on it's own (while still being formal enough to wear as a suit). 400 for the jacket with 200 for the pants. SS mostly has no tax (if there isn't a store in your state, I believe). So that's $600 total. Your budget for suit is 400, your budget for blazer is 150...that's a $50 difference. Not going to say that's not a huge difference (very well could be for you, especially since that isn't factoring in tailoring). However, I believe that extra 50 is worth saving up for. If anything, you can buy the jacket now to wear as a blazer and buy the matching pants once you've saved up the money.

Comment

Duly noted [MENTION=10540]Scofield[/MENTION]. I plan on trying on the Havana when I go in-store to SS next week (provided they have it in stock, which they may not).

Comment

[MENTION=14386]Danny[/MENTION]: Totally get it. That's why I always recommend asking for all of the garment's actual dimensions and measurements prior to purchasing. If you know all of your important ones, which is really shoulder width, chest, as almost everything else can be altered (within reason, obviously; wouldn't buy a 44L when I'm a 44S), you should be okay. Anyways, I haven't gotten burned yet.

Comment

Alright gents -- after consulting with my wife (who dearly wants my suit/blazer mania to end), I've decided to pony up and just get the Ludlow in italian cotton that I've lusted for since I first tried it on. It checks off every single box except affordability, and it's just a damn handsome blazer.

So, now the follow up question -- I'm still eligible for a 15% student discount, and I obviously plan to take advantage of that. I know ludlow suiting isn't often included in sales, but I want to get this for cheaper than $194.

When can I reasonably expect the price to drop on this, and what's a reasonable price point to snag this (originally $228) blazer for (stacking my 15% discount with some other sale)? I'm not that familiar with J Crew's sale rotation, so I'm relying on your experience and sound judgement to help me save as much money as possible.

Thanks so much in advance for your continued help and support.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny View Post
                                Alright gents -- after consulting with my wife (who dearly wants my suit/blazer mania to end), I've decided to pony up and just get the Ludlow in italian cotton that I've lusted for since I first tried it on. It checks off every single box except affordability, and it's just a damn handsome blazer.

So, now the follow up question -- I'm still eligible for a 15% student discount, and I obviously plan to take advantage of that. I know ludlow suiting isn't often included in sales, but I want to get this for cheaper than $194.

When can I reasonably expect the price to drop on this, and what's a reasonable price point to snag this (originally $228) blazer for (stacking my 15% discount with some other sale)? I'm not that familiar with J Crew's sale rotation, so I'm relying on your experience and sound judgement to help me save as much money as possible.

Thanks so much in advance for your continued help and support.
                                it's actually 25% off right now, dropping it to 171.

bought mine for 150 (30% off and i think last season's identical version was cheaper). solid choice, i have it and it's a favorite...wear it all the time.

Comment

Working...
                                X