St Pats Day

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

St Pats Day

So looking for outfit suggestions for next Saturday. I'll be spending it in LA and probably bar hopping. I'm looking at a high of around 70 and low of around 60.

First question is green or not? Your first reaction would be yes, but if you don't wear any that you might invite a few pinches and that could be a nice segway into conversation with some attractive ladies.

Any and all thought appreciated. I have a reasonable diverse wardrobe right now but would be willing to spend a couple hundred bucks on new stuff; assuming it isn't some "one day a year" piece of clothing, but could become a staple of my wardrobe.

I was gonna suggest a green blazer, but then you went and qualified your statement. :-P

Comment

I once wore a red shirt on St. Patrick's Day. When asked why, I said it was "in honor of all the blood spilled on this holiday. That Saint Patrick was an evil guy...". Most admired the sense of humor, but it got a few blank stares and "are you serious!?" comments.

Comment

Every year my inlaws go to a pub in Charlotte that their friends own. We get a few tables and stay the whole day/night.

I have a green 1MX shirt that I plan to wear.

Comment

I'm only doing casual pub crawling/bar hopping, so I'm not getting too dressed up. Probably wearing this shirt, which I purchased recently for such occasions (note the color says "blue sea", but it's a checkered green shirt):

http://www.express.com/checked-fitted-military-shirt-42942-49/refine/Fit/Fitted/control/page/32/show/3/index.pro

Either dark 514's and my cognac Florsheim boots, or a pair of chinos and some Chucks and I should be good.

Comment

depends where you're going. If it's not a crowded pub where people will bump into each others' drinks, I would just suggest a green tie with a suit you already own. Dressed up for the holiday, yet in a non-cheesey way where you still look great

Comment

@zack malibu.

Not sure where you are getting your information on him being a horrible person. He was sold in to slavery and then became a Bishop in his home country; converting many to the Catholic Faith.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saint_Patrick

http://www.history.com/topics/who-was-saint-patrick

http://angelaharris.hubpages.com/hub...-Patrick-Facts

Comment

Here, the big thing to do is go see that parade and them hit one of the local bars along the parade route. I'll be in class on Saturday morning while the parade is going on, but my wife will actually be on one of the floats because a friend of a friend owns one of the sponsoring bars. I'll meet up with them all when I get out of class. Since it'll be around noon-time, I'm definitely going casual. I just don't know what I'll be wearing just yet.

Comment

@bremersm: It was merely an attempt at me being funny/sarcastic/witty when approached that night. Not to be taken seriously (which, as mentioned, some people actually did).

Comment

@zack Malibu oh got it.

Comment

In retrospect, I think I should have ordered one of the St Pats theme ties from thetiebar.com. Too late for that now. I'm thinking chinos, oxfords, gingham green shirt. Not sure about whether to layer a sweater or jacket but thinking no. Only reason I would is because I will occasionally, especially when out at hot crowded bars, get a little pit staining going on, but not enough to soak through into a jacket or sweater...but visible with just a button up and a v-neck.

Comment

CaliProf (or anyone, really)... Have you tried Certain-Dri? I "run hot" more often than not, and I swear by that stuff these days. I use both the nighttime application and the daily use one, in combination. Best antiperspirant I've found.

Comment

I always wear orange on St. Pat's. But that's because what little Irish blood I have is Protestant Irish (Scots-Irish, to be specific).

I'd go with something relatively toned-down, like a green tie or the gingham shirt you mentioned. A holiday shouldn't be an excuse to look like a d-bag.

Ben

Comment

@Zack I used to use certain dri religiously and found it worked pretty well. Then I accidentally stopped using and realized I wasnt sweating as much anymore, so I discontinued. Then in just the past few weeks the pit stains have come back with a vengeance so I will start using it again tonight.

Comment

Green underwear. No other green. Then your segway into conversation with attractive ladies is pretty direct.

Bonus, because it is a great way to find classy women...

"You don't need money to dress better than you do" - Salvatore Romano

Comment

Working...
                              X