New boots time

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New boots time

Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some input on buying a new pair of boots for this fall and winter. I'm sick of my cheap DSW boots that have no traction and get my feet wet in the snow.

I guess my biggest question is how are the soles on the Red Wing Iron Rangers in the snow and ice? They look pretty smooth. I'm wondering if I should spend a little extra for the Beckmans and their more heavy duty looking sole. Or these Rangers with the Vibram sole:
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XVHAIV0..._l-G9vbKXPPMVQ

The Chippewa service boots have a Vibram sole and look awfully nice too but I've never actually seen them in person. At least there's a Red Wing store by me so I've tried on a few of theirs.

Thanks for any input or advice!

This doesn't answer your question as I don't have experience with those boots, but these Woolrich Yankee boots are awesome and might fit what you're looking for if you haven't already considered them. Vibram sole, horween leather, Goodyear welted, lined in wool. I have the black pair, and it's molded very comfortably to my foot after several months. Joe did a review of them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Woolrich-Yanke.../dp/B00KSFZBEC

Comment

Originally posted by DuFrank View Post
      This doesn't answer your question as I don't have experience with those boots, but these Woolrich Yankee boots are awesome and might fit what you're looking for if you haven't already considered them. Vibram sole, horween leather, Goodyear welted, lined in wool. I have the black pair, and it's molded very comfortably to my foot after several months. Joe did a review of them too.

http://www.amazon.com/Woolrich-Yanke.../dp/B00KSFZBEC
      Have them in black as well and love them

Comment

Originally posted by heinzwg57 View Post
        Hey everyone. I'm hoping to get some input on buying a new pair of boots for this fall and winter. I'm sick of my cheap DSW boots that have no traction and get my feet wet in the snow.

I guess my biggest question is how are the soles on the Red Wing Iron Rangers in the snow and ice? They look pretty smooth. I'm wondering if I should spend a little extra for the Beckmans and their more heavy duty looking sole. Or these Rangers with the Vibram sole:
        https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00XVHAIV0..._l-G9vbKXPPMVQ

The Chippewa service boots have a Vibram sole and look awfully nice too but I've never actually seen them in person. At least there's a Red Wing store by me so I've tried on a few of theirs.

Thanks for any input or advice!
        I have black iron rangers with the smooth sole (actually for sale right now). They don't have much traction at all in the snow or ice. I would recommend getting something with some rubber soles with some sort of tread.

Comment

The Chippewa service boots are also the LL Bean boots. They are HEAVY. I didn't purchase because they seemed like they would be uncomfortable (I walk a decent amount).

I ended up with "Chippewa Men's 6" Rugged Handcrafted Lace-Up Boot" from Amazon. The sole is Vibram but it doesn't grip that well in ice (go figure). If I could do it again I would go with the Apache boots as they look like they have a grippier sole.

Other than the grip, these were cheaper, feel great, and match everything. I wore them a lot last winter.

Comment

Get the iron ranger with the lugs soles in oxblood.

Comment

Danner doesn't get a ton of play on this site because I suppose the "hiker" aesthetic doesn't appeal to some, but I want to throw them into the mix. I bought a pair of Danner Lights last month to use as an actual hiking boot because of its classic looks and actual American-made construction (something you don't see a lot of in hiking footwear), but I realized it's actually much more versatile than that and looks just as fantastic with a pair of dark wash jeans and a Barbour thrown on top. I think this winter they're going to see quite a bit of use as the weather turns nasty and will be happily thrown into my American-made boot rotation of Wolverine 1000 Mile Addisons, Red Wing 8880's (the new moc toe boot that's just 875's with darker leather), and LL Bean Katahdin cap toes.

Just thought I would throw the idea out there since I love mine so much.

Comment

In addition to the above, the Danner stitch down sole boots I own are one of the most comfortable pairs of shoes I've ever worn.

Comment

Working...
                X