J Crew Aldridge vs. Ludlow Suit styling & Ebay question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

J Crew Aldridge vs. Ludlow Suit styling & Ebay question

I'm looking to add a solid navy suit to my lineup and as I'm relegated to suiting separates due to my large drop (44 chest, 34 waist), J Crew's product is a good fit for that need (Their quality has stood up well for the price range, as was demonstrated in a WSJ article comparing it to Armani/SuitSupply/others).

I already have the Aldridge suit in Charcoal and I'm very pleased with it. My dilemma now revolves around whether or not the Ludlow cut would be right for me or if I should stick withe Aldridge. Given my size, I'm worried that the narrow lapels and overall cut of the Ludlow might not fit well with someone of my broader proportions chest and height wise (6'3). I realize its not a huge difference overall but in a suiting staple (solid navy) I want to ensure I'm not straying too far from a classic stance.

My second question around Ebay regards sellers offering NWT (new without tags) products that generally have some kind of internal defect disqualifying them from store return. Anyone had experience with this or what kind of defects these typically are? I'd love to save a good bit of cash going this route but I wanted a bit more info before I dove in. I suppose I could message the seller for more info directly on the item but its always good to have the forum's perspective.

That's on the seller to disclose. If they sell you something that's not as described they pretty much have to accept the return, and, if it's defective and it wasn't disclosed, they'll have to pay return shipping too. eBay is a pain as a seller in this regard, but as a buyer you're pretty well protected (sometimes too much).

Comment

You say you're very pleased with your charcoal Aldridge, so I see no reason to switch things up. I'm about the same size as you (an inch taller and two inches fatter) and also wear a 44 (L) jacket, and I'm also a little wary of the narrow lapels on the Ludlow. What looks stylish on a 38 can start to look too trendy on a 44, because as you move up in size the lapels stay the same rather than growing in proportion with the rest of the jacket. The Aldridge looks great and doesn't even have a hint of trendiness.

I would pick one up myself, but $650 for the jacket and pants is a little more than I can justify spending right now. If there were a sale and I could get it for under $400 I'd probably go for it, but that would have to be a 40% off sale, and I don't think that's going to happen.

Comment

Pulled the trigger on the Aldridge via E-bay, thanks for the input all. I was already leaning toward the Aldridge given my wider chest and how good my charcoal version looks.

@TheMeInTeam: I believe I got the last 44L this seller had in Navy but I would keep an eye out. I got the Pants + Jacket using make an offer for under 350...Well worth a look given the capability to return if whatever interior defect I find isn't livable.

Comment

NWT - New With Tags

NWOT - New Without Tags

Comment

Whenever I see something that say "NWOT", I generally just assume it's gently used, but used nonetheless. Maybe it's my cynical side.

Comment

Yes typo above, should have said NWOT. Both items are claimed to be new however and its from a large reputable seller with a huge stock. Perhaps these are factory defects even that are offloaded to wholesalers such as this?

Comment

I think the Aldridge was probably a wise choice. I'm actually very thin, 6:1 and 160lb, but I have a rather large head. I'm always wanting to exaggerate my shoulders to look more balanced. So I like to avoid the super thin lapels as well, which is very frustrating as the suits with the biggest drops always have the thinnest lapels. Sounds like you probably made a good choice.

Comment

There's a bunch of J Crew stuff here, including Aldridge:

http://www.styleforum.net/t/273730/g...-12-12-11/0_15

Comment

I was just saying that to clarify and was in a hurry.

=)

Comment

Working...
                    X