Insole

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Insole

Got stuck with a gift of a pair of shoes that's probably a half size too big. I've noticed some mention of using insoles to get a better fit. Any specific brands or styles work best?

I'm interested in this as well... I got some wool insoles that I'm using in my LL Bean boots to replace the standard insoles for warmth, but they were too thick to snug up my Loake loafers that are a bit big.

Comment

It hurts because it's so expensive, but the black low volume Superfeet insoles fit well in dress shoes because they are thin. They might seem too thin to be of any use, but they've been quite handy. I got a pair of AE Sanfords scored off of eBay in 8.5E that are too long and wide. The insoles do just enough to be able to wear the shoes. Don't get me wrong, they're still too big but my feet don't slip around compared to when I don't have the insoles. Anything thicker and my heel is too close to the top of the shoe heel and it slips out when I walk.

I tried doubling up on socks too and that helps.

Those insoles typically run $35. Because they're so expensive I just transfer them into whatever pair of shoes I might be wearing that could use them.

Comment

I bought a ton of different insoles to see what worked best and didn't care for the Dr. Scholls overall and especially not the "gel" ones because you feel like your need are constantly wiggling around on the micro ridges.

I liked the ProFoot ones ones the most: http://www.profootcare.com/p-super-sport.html

Can find them at Walgreens.

Comment

I've used the store brand foam insoles, for both improving fit and adding some comfort. They get sort of rank after a while, but they're like $2 so I just keep a few extras on hand.

Comment

I believe there are inserts that you can apply to the tongue and back of the heal that can make shoes fit better also.

Comment

If you're looking for something a little more supportive/orthopedic, Superfeet is probably the most well known shoe insert brand. The black ones that Drew mentioned are the lowest volume ones and are meant for dress shoes. There are a ton of other brands, though. http://www.feetrelief.com is a good place to compare them all.

If you just want something flat to decrease the volume a little, I've had my cobbler put some additional layers of leather on the existing insole.

Comment

Working...
              X