Sunday Challenge 9/13/2015 - First Day of School

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sunday Challenge 9/13/2015 - First Day of School

This challenge theme should be doable for everyone. In keeping with the season, it harkens back to when the first day of a new school year was something to look forward to and/or dread. In addition to all of the academic and social concerns, I recall always having at least a few items of clothing (usually new, sometimes not) that I was eager to show off. The first day of school was always an opportunity to pull out the stuff I was particularly proud of and feel awesome for at least a while until the novelty wore off. For most of the time that I was in school, the things that I was proud of were not things I should have been proud of, but now that my taste has improved I'm giving myself another bite at the apple ('cuz, school...teachers...apples...? Hello? Is this thing on?).

That's a long windup to saying the challenge is just to show us a look, or an item within an overall look, that you think is worth showing off or that you think puts you in your best light. In other words, there isn't so much a theme as a directive to show off and look good.

You know the drill:
    - Entries recorded Sunday night, voting begins then or Monday morning
    - Winner declared on Tuesday evening
    - Winner is responsible for next week's theme
    Shomas
    13.64%
    andrewlcraft
    54.55%
    theskillets
    31.82%
    Last edited by Shomas; September 11, 2015, 05:36 PM.

So, I'll kick this one off. Again.

Jacket: L.B.M. 1911
    Shirt: Uniqlo
    Pants: Bonobos
    Shoes: Barney's

I can't remember where the pocket square is from. The thing I wanted to show off here is the jacket. I scored it a couple of weeks ago from Yoox for a very good price. I was a little worried about it being out of season, since it's linen, but I should get a little bit of use out of it before the weather cools off too much. "Linen" doesn't do the fabric justice, though. Unlike some linen, this isn't stiff at all; it's actually incredibly soft. There's no place for such a thing in my wardrobe, really, but I'd love a suit made out of this. Also, I think this might be the first double-breasted jacket I've ever owned. I'm pretty happy with it.

I eagerly await additional entries.

Comment

So, to clarify, we don't have to wear anything that we actually wore for school, right? Because otherwise, it's just cargo pants, t-shirt and a flannel shirt. Lol.

Comment

Originally posted by Matchbook View Post
        So, to clarify, we don't have to wear anything that we actually wore for school, right? Because otherwise, it's just cargo pants, t-shirt and a flannel shirt. Lol.
        Not at all. Otherwise I'd be relegated to Dickies, Chucks, and a Hanes white tshirt.

Comment

Originally posted by Shomas View Post
          Not at all. Otherwise I'd be relegated to Dickies, Chucks, and a Hanes white tshirt.
          Ha! It sounds like we wore the same uniform.

Comment

Bump for entries.

Comment

Well, OK.

Nothing real show-offy here, but the kind of look I wish I got more of a chance to use. Got some fall texture with the oxford cloth, donegal and suede.

I love older pics of guys casually wearing blazers, etc just around the house as everyday wear. I just never seem to convince myself to do it. Might try and work on that.

If there's any show-off piece here, it's the Alfred Sargent boots I just picked up. Wasn't sure about blue suede, but I love 'em. And the beard. Going on three months with no stop in sight!

(sorry if the pics are big, can't seem to get Photobucket to keep the resize.)

Comment

^^^I like it.

Comment

Here is my "first day of school" rig aka my speaking rig for my company's annual fall user conference. My two favorite items are my Suit Supply Sport coat and my argyle socks. I got them both this summer and have worn them a few times but really got them with my company's user conference in mind. The conference is in October every year and I have to give multiple presentations to crowd sizes of 15 - 100 clients. The sport coat is great because it is only lightly lined in the shoulders and the wool is very lightweight and cool - perfect for presenting in a hot room with lights beating down and everyone watching - including my boss and other executives. I love the argyle socks because I was having a tough time finding over-the-calf argyle socks but I found these and they fit great! Also, I don't wear my black AE Park Avenues very often but I always were them to my company conference. They are comfortable and professional.

Sport Coat: Suit Supply
                  OCBD: Kamakura
                  Tie: The Tie Bar
                  Pocket Square: The Tie Bar
                  Pants: Bonobos
                  Socks: Howard Yount
                  Shoes: Allen Edmonds
                  Last edited by theskillets; September 13, 2015, 10:33 AM.
                  Measurement Reference: 5'11" 173lbs 40R 32x32

Comment

The poll is live. Vote your faces off!

Comment

Dat beard...

Comment

Bump for votes!

Comment

[MENTION=6587]andrewlcraft[/MENTION] takes it in a landslide! Congrats and please post a new challenge theme as soon as possible.

Comment

Working...
                          X