Clear All

• BB
    replied
    This is a pretty good version of what I was envisioning:
    http://www.reddit.com/r/malefashiona..._and_tasteful/

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    It would be great to edit out the snark (and some of the long-windedness) and put this into a manageable size, along with some basic thoughts on texture, pattern and color. Sort of a one-stop shop for beginners.

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    Originally posted by alan View Post
    Practice makes perfect, but in this case, practice can be very expensive!
    Don't I know it.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by LesserBlackDog View Post
    I'm enjoying reading this again. It reminds me of just how much a novice I really am, even though I sometimes feel like I've got nothing else to learn.
    Practice makes perfect, but in this case, practice can be very expensive!

Leave a comment:

• LesserBlackDog
    replied
    I'm enjoying reading this again. It reminds me of just how much a novice I really am, even though I sometimes feel like I've got nothing else to learn.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    Originally posted by BB View Post
    This is sharp-tongued but very insightful stuff.
    Styleforum has little patience for dressing badly. They think very highly of themselves. They like to compare their $50k shoe collections. that beign said, a lot of them really seem to know what they're doing.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    This is sharp-tongued but very insightful stuff.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    Advice from F. Corbera:

"Why are so many guys all over the map within a single outfit? After all, cheap access to a wide variety of well-made clothes has probably never been so pervasive, nor the variety of choice so extensive. The world lays its goods at the feet of nearly every man. So, why is there such incoherence?

I conclude that there are two reasons.

First, many of the currently-active posters are over-reaching their environment. You have consciously made the decision to dress in tailored clothes, or wish to do so at a level of refinement, atypical among those with whom you interact personally. Your first step, then, is to smack the pick axe at some point in the city spectrum. But you have doubts. It seems “too formal,” the ice too cold. So, you begin the process of rusticating your city look: “Hello, crazy socks. Welcome to my breast pocket, multi-colored square. Take a seat around my neck, wooly tie.”
    Second, you just have not learned what goes together. You did not learn it or observe it around you growing up. Your friends and work mates do not know either. And all the books, magazines and material online seem to offer advice only on those three basics: color coordination; pattern and texture coordination; and contrast combination."

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    Wow. I will give you two millionish information superhighway-bucks for this feat.

Another post I found, much less helpful:
    http://putthison.com/post/1807875929...use-city-mouse

Leave a comment:

• DXLi
    replied
    I'll accept your payment of $1MM Internet Dollars now.

http://web.archive.org/web/201207110...-for-beginners

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    Folks could offer bits and pieces here and there. No need to churn out the whole thing all at once. But as a teaching aid, it would be incredible.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    One thought about this: I've noticed that there is another world in menswear that isn't in either of those two camps (English city/ English country), and that's basically "Italy." Or to be more precise, Italian rural coast. Maybe I mean "Amalfi coast." Lighter fabrics, brighter colors, and so on. This isn't reflected in English sartorial history, but it's much more applicable to my climate, at least for about five months of the year. I ran into some trouble last summer when I was trying to dress like English gentry in an Atlanta heat wave, and then realized that there was an option besides "screw it, wear flip flops and mesh shorts."

I think some classification would really help me, and I am guessing it could help others.

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    The original post was EXTREMELY comprehensive. Iit was probably AT LEAST an hour long read. I feel liek I would be doing the original authro a great disservice in attempting a recreation, but I'll do what I can in the event that nobody can find the original post.

Leave a comment:

• BB
    replied
    Wow, that's really helpful, BenR and Alan. Thanks for taking the time to write that out -- and though I've known a bit about city/country this is very, very helpful. Are there other resources out there that would be helpful to learn more about these distinctions? If not, I wonder if we could do the internets world a favor and offer our own spin on this?

Leave a comment:

• alan
    replied
    BenR's explanation > my explanation

Leave a comment:

Working...
X